Dry manifold with wet exhaust?

Aug 8, 2014
YGOSSE 44 QUEENSLAND
My last post re gearbox drama prompts me to start a new subject, lot of good advise and just the moral support when all is looking grim. So, here we go, tested my Perkins 6.354 wet exhaust manifold today........ failed badly, anodes are non existent anywhere on motor, previous owner watched too many sunsets and not much else. Anyhow well under way with re building motor on board ( a diabolical task), am wondering, can you use a standard diesel manifold and bypass raw water from heat exchanger directly into exhaust downstream from manifold ? Reason being, replacement manifold is $1600 and another failure equates to another seized engine.. not a good look. Is this workable? Keen to hear your input

Nov 6, 2006
Hunter 34 Mandeville Louisiana
Can be done, but will result in a LOT more heat in the engine compartment. If the compartment is well ventilated by fan and the area that can "see" the exhaust manifold is protected against the radiant heat from the manifold, it could work. Ya still need to be concerned about water backing into the engine from the water injection point. An anti-syphon loop in the hose from the heatex outlet to the injection point would be minimum.. depending on elevation above waterline (heeled and static) you may still need an inverted "U" mixing point.. (if originally equipped?)
some info:
http://www.westmarine.com/WestAdvisor/Exhaust-System-Basics