Drone flyby

Feb 14, 2012
Hunter 326 Seattle
While it has yet to serve me a practical purpose, during a period of light wind today, I decided to send up my DJI Phantom and buzz around the my 326. Thought you guys might enjoy the snapshot from the video feed. I fly it with first-person goggles, so I get a live video feed.

Any suggestions of a practical use for it?

Attachments

Feb 20, 2011
Island Packet 35 Tucson, AZ/San Carlos, MX
Boatpix.com. Some helicopter pilots actually make money selling aerial photographs of peoples' boats to their proud owners. Dunno what they charge.

Got a high-rez lens?

Practically, I'd use the thing to track and herd my sometimes errant dogs.

Jun 6, 2006
currently boatless wishing Harrington Harbor North, MD
Might be handy while gunkholing. First mate could get the birds eye view from a few hundred feet to ID the thin spots.

Feb 26, 2011
Achilles SD-130 Alameda, CA
Boatpix.com. Some helicopter pilots actually make money selling aerial photographs of peoples' boats to their proud owners. Dunno what they charge.
Remotely controlled aircraft (like quadcopters or "drones") are not legal for use as a commercial enterprise, as per FAA regulations.

Feb 20, 2011
Island Packet 35 Tucson, AZ/San Carlos, MX
Remotely controlled aircraft (like quadcopters or "drones") are not legal for use as a commercial enterprise, as per FAA regulations.
Far be it from me to defy the FAA, but if this is an actual regulation, it should be soon headed for the scrap heap.

Feb 26, 2011
Achilles SD-130 Alameda, CA
Far be it from me to defy the FAA, but if this is an actual regulation, it should be soon headed for the scrap heap.
No doubt it will be. But right now, if you want to sell drone-shot video or photo services, you have to do it under the guise of providing some other, ground or water-based service.

Oct 20, 2011
Hunter 30 Green Bay
Figure out a way to snag halyards that ended up at the top of masts, and pulling them out & down. It could cost hundred$ to drop a mast.

Oct 20, 2013
Hunter 335 Tampa, FL
Phantom

I used mine to inspect the mast head rigging. Not long before I got request from boat neighbor...

Aug 1, 2011
Catalina 270 255 Wabamun. Welcome to the marina
Being the proud owner of a new 350QX2ap, and (still) being able to claim that I haven't dug a trench with it (yet), there appears to be at least one issue. The Blade camera has a little bit of focal length issue, much moreso than the Hero3. (Which is currently mounted) These are not adjustable, and as you can see in your photo, they have a nasty tendency to show the horizon as a great curved arc. It takes away from the shot.
I've seen a shot that a guy did of the bird coming in at a 45 degree angle to the stern, just above the water and then climbing such that the sails obscure the horizon. Trim the clip as the shot gets to the top of the mast, and Bob's yer uncle. No horizon distortion because it all goes by so fast.
Then again, maybe you're more comfortable being close to the water. Not yet. (Chicken r us)
Cheers
Gary

Aug 1, 2011
The first shot in this video was likely a drone, and quite likely the second, but it's wasn't a "hobby" drone. The depth and aperture was at least a "real" camera.
http://youtu.be/qm0IQJgOqxc

Aug 1, 2011
Looking closely at the second shot, that might have been on the other boat, but the first one was definitely a drone.
The thing that I'm wondering, not having tried it yet, is how the thing will react to a sailboat loaded up. The "good" shot of the boat with a full set of loaded up sails requires some breeze, and the toy drones aren't up to that kind of air.

Oct 20, 2013
Hunter 335 Tampa, FL
Good question, I haven't tried it yet, but the dirty air slipstream behind the boat under sail may be tricky. The Phantom II can supposedly compensate up to 30mph wind w/GPS. I think I may try a trailing shot off center mass to either side first when I get around to it. Boat has been on the hard for a year for a refit....

Aug 1, 2011
That's why the 45 degree angle shot might work. Coming in from the back quarter, windward side and climbing following the draft of the main. Just as long as the thing can deal with that much wind. (Not to mention the camera angle is not 90 degrees, it's more like 45. Not yer basic stick work there Vern)
The Blade book says it will handle the breeze too. Just a few bucks if it gets into a vortex and craters. :)

Oct 20, 2013
Hunter 335 Tampa, FL
One issue the the DJI camera and GoPros have is that the lens is such a wide angle you need to get up close so it doesn't look so far away. Now if you had a 4K :) camera, you could always crop to make it look closer. If you shot just above the mast height angled down you'd probably be in a lot cleaner air.

Jun 5, 2004
Hunter 44 Mystic, Ct
You might get some ideas by going to the mystic shipyard website mysticshipyard.com and follow the video link toward the bottom of the page. Some pretty neat drone videos there.