dripless

mortyd

Dec 11, 2004
Catalina 30 easy living
have any of you gone to a dripless stuffing box. if so, are you satisfied and how much did it cost in toto?

Nov 18, 2010
Catalina 310 Hingham, MA
I have a PYI PSS Dripless Adapter on my C310. Its 4 years old and has seen over 1200 motoring hours and 10K nautical miles without issue. I am hauling out this year and I will replace the bellows. I am doing this as preventative maintenance and the part was $80 and we only haul out every 3-5 years in the Caribbean.

As far as cost, the first time I did it they were high. But I changed the shaft, the transmission cuppler and the cutlass bearing. I did all the labor myself and it probably ran around $900. For this maintenance, all I am doing is the $80 maintenance kit from PYI and new hose clamps.

Make sure you read this post from MaineSail if you are going to do this yourself. Read the article even if you higher it out so you can get an idea if they did it right.

Feb 26, 2008
Catalina 30 Marathon, FL
Morty, our PYI PSS Dripless shaft seal has been in for four seasons and I love it. My wife is sensitive to boat smells and having a dry bilge goes a long way toward keeping the boat fresh smelling.