Dripless shaft seal maintenance

Jul 1, 2014
Hunter 34 Seattle
While following the conversation on another thread the subject of proper venting for a dripless shaft seal came up. Which made me think since I have a dripless seal and didn't remember ever seeing a vent hose. I went down to visit the boat yesterday and made a point to look at the setup there. Sure enough there is no vent coming off my seal. I'm guessing it is an old design before they added the vent. Checking the records that came with the boat I see the seal was added in '95 along with a new shaft and cutlass bearing.

Which brings me to the question of what maintenance and/or life expectancy is there for this part. Since it is a primary barrier to keep water out of my boat I don't want to take chances. It looks OK but 20 year old rubber scares me. PSS says to replace the bellows every 6 years so that needs to go to the top of the list for next time she comes out. But what about the mating surfaces, are they good forever? I also wonder why the current design has the vent? Is there a reason I should have the new, improved design? I remember the surveyor looked at it and explained you just needed to remember to burp the air out after a pullout. But after going through all the work to pull the shaft to replace the bellows you gotta be thinking, might as well replace the whole damn thing....
IMG_1806.JPG

Aug 1, 2011
Catalina 270 255 Wabamun. Welcome to the marina
The reason for the hose is to be able to bleed off any air that might get in there. You can get air entering the tube from any cavitation that may happen in reverse. If you lose the water contact with the mating surfaces of the stainless and carbon parts, they say that they will heat up and wear quickly.
If you're thinking about replacing the bellows, consider upgrading the carbon ring to one that's vented.

Jun 11, 2011
Hunter 41 Lewes
Like Meriachee said it's really about ensuring the seal doesn't get air bound. The vented version ensures this. I would change the whole thing myself but at least change the belows for safety. Just my two cents.

Aug 2, 2005
Pearson 33-2 & Typhoon 18 Seneca Lake
Hello Charlie98117,
When air builds up in the older style dripless seal they can be "burped" by pushing the graphite ring aft from against the stainless steel collar. A bit of water squirts in and the air is out. I have done that from time to time on an older model seal. That seal became hot and began to squeal (One of those "what the %#LL is that noise sounds!") when air entered the hull tube. That happened on our boat in a following sea. The old seal on our boat had begun to wear oddly......the graphite was thicker on one side than the other....perhaps a bit of misalignment there too?

Anyway, if your dripless seal is 20? years old I think you would be wise to change the entire seal. The cost is in the neighborhood of $350 for the entire replacement. Good instructions came with the PSS models I have installed, and I was successful in the correct placement of the collars by using the measurements provided. I'm not sure you could buy just parts of it, and with the effort required to change part of it you might as well replace the entire seal while the boat is out of the water. In preparation for that change you might consider using a penetrating oil on the bolts of the shaft coupling and on the mating surface of the shaft coupling in order to help with removal.

Jul 1, 2014
Hunter 34 Seattle
Thanks for the replies. I looked at a couple places and it's about $275 for my size, that seems pretty cheap in boat dollars. I agree that replacement is the way to go. I really don't look forward to getting the shaft coupling off, lots of rust there. I'll have to do some research on the best approach to that task.

RoyS

Jun 3, 2012
Hunter 33 Steamboat Wharf, Hull, MA
I have one of these as well. First of all, mine also had no bleed tube. I decided to replace the bellows only and ordered a replacement. After examining the assembly, I found no reason to change anything else. Furthermore, the removed bellows looked as good as new after ten years of service. There were no cracks or deterioration of the rubber visible under close examination. I burp the unit every spring and that seems to work fine. Removing the prop shaft in my case was extremely difficult. Good luck with that. My experience with this unit would indicate that the PYI recommendation of four years life expectancy for the rubber bellows part is overkill. Yours has been in service 20 years and mine 10 years. Unfortunately the only way you can more accurately determine a suitable replacement interval is to wait for a failure and then dial back from that. Of course, you might sacrifice your boat in that experiment.

Feb 14, 2014
Hunter 430 Waveland, MS
The good news is that every time you go from Forward to Reverse you fill ( albeit partially), the non vented bellows. The water is to friction cool the Carbon rotary seal surfacc, not a lot of heat generatedfrom less than 12 knots. Looks like the non-vented worked well for you. Also at the berth, the air will slowly dissolve in water and the sea slowly fills the bellows. The seal does (drip, drip , drip) but the bellows contain it.

The Bellows act as a seal compression spring. Follow their bellows compression % closely. You should measure the static bellow "end to end" distance to the "millimeter" when new. Significant change in that distance shows seal wear, maybe failure and bellow's fatigue.
It is a good product for me, so far.
Jim...

Jan 11, 2014
Sabre 362 113 Fair Haven, NY
Yes, it is time to replace the bellows, but you might as well replace the whole unit. A bellows alone will cost about $80 and you still have the unvented seal. The graphite ring may also be worn. Some PO of my boat may have used a screwdriver to burp the bellows leaving deep scratches and gouges in the ring. So we replaced the whole unit.

Also, once the new seal is installed add a shaft collar to prevent the Seal collar from moving if the set screws loosen. See these from McMaster-Carr: http://www.mcmaster.com/#shaft-collars/=zu4dn3

Dec 19, 2006
Hunter 36 Punta Gorda
I replaced my bellows few years ago and went to Mainsails web page and he shows great
info how to take apart the shaft coupling and mine was 2007 and did use small torch with heat to help come apart and lots of soaking PB blaster.
I also added bottle at end of vent tube up high.
Nick

Jul 1, 2010
Catalina 350 Lake Huron
The vented version will take up a little more space than your unvented one. I just replaced mine a week ago, and went with the vented design because I had issues at times with the unvented one trapping air, and having to be burped at the most inconvenient times. As can be seen from the pic below, the vented version just fits my boat, and it was a challenge to get things back together in that space.

Concerning your coupling, read Maine sail's info on that before you do the upgrade. You will likely need a new coupling, and a machine shop fit of the coupling to your shaft (and possibly a new shaft). You may want to do the cutless bearing at the same time, and will need to realign the motor when you're done. I needed a shaft, coupling, and cutless bearing on my boat this summer. Just did the seal, as we couldn't get one at the time I had to do the other work.

A couple of helpful links from the Main sail (compass marine collection):

https://marinehowto.com/installing-a-pss-shaft-seal/

https://marinehowto.com/new-prop-shaft/

Attachments