Dripless propeller shaft

Andy_P

May 29, 2020
Shipman 28 Säbyviken
Hello,
I'm getting my recently bought Shipman 28 ready for launch, and found this behind the engine. Coming from dinghies and keelless, I'm not quite sure where to start. I have a few questions, and maybe someone would be able to point me in the right direction.

1) Is this a dripless propeller shaft seal? I don't see the locking nuts you would expect on a packing box.

2) As you can see in the pics, the hose has a large number of cracks. I presume this is dangerous, and will need to be changed before the boat is put into the water?

3) Just how big a job is that? It looks like the previous owner has sealed the aft end of the hose with epoxy, and that will have to be removed. The jubilee clips look as if they can be loosened without a problem. But I assume the prop shaft will have to be pulled out of the back of the engine, so that the new hose can be put in place? That is the part of the operation that worries me...

Attachments

Last edited:
Jul 7, 2004
Hunter 30T Cheney, KS
Wouldn't dropping the rudder to slide the shaft back be much easier? It's what I did to install my LasDrop.

Jan 7, 2011
Oday 322 East Chicago, IN
Yes, it is some sort of dripless system (not sure which one though).

That while sealant smeared around the stern tube end of the hose is scary. I can’t even see the hose clamps, let alone tell if they are tight. If the hose is too big for the stern tube, laying some extra fiberglass around the stern tube is a good fix...

Yes, in order to replace the aging hose, you need to unbolt the coupling from the transmission output flange, then remove the coupling from the shaft...it looks like you have a split coupling, so it may not be too stuck on there...

Then slide the shaft back some to get the dripless fitting and old hose of...then reverse the process.

These may help...

Coupling removal

Shaft installation

Greg

Andy_P

May 29, 2020
Shipman 28 Säbyviken
Yes, it is some sort of dripless system (not sure which one though).

That while sealant smeared around the stern tube end of the hose is scary. I can’t even see the hose clamps, let alone tell if they are tight. If the hose is too big for the stern tube, laying some extra fiberglass around the stern tube is a good fix...

Yes, in order to replace the aging hose, you need to unbolt the coupling from the transmission output flange, then remove the coupling from the shaft...it looks like you have a split coupling, so it may not be too stuck on there...

Then slide the shaft back some to get the dripless fitting and old hose of...then reverse the process.

These may help...

Coupling removal

Shaft installation

Greg
Thanks v. much for the links. Very useful. It looks like it's going to be a long weekend...

Mar 20, 2016
Beneteau 351 WYC Whitby
Looks like a home made dripless using static seals . Nothing wrong with that and it looks like he installed a spare seal up near the coupling if the that one starts to leak pop it out cut it off the shaft and press in spare. Now with that said the hose could use replacement and he could have done a better job with the sealant. Similar to volvo dripless which has 2 static seals however molded to the rubber

Andy_P

May 29, 2020
Shipman 28 Säbyviken
Looks like a home made dripless using static seals . Nothing wrong with that and it looks like he installed a spare seal up near the coupling if the that one starts to leak pop it out cut it off the shaft and press in spare. Now with that said the hose could use replacement and he could have done a better job with the sealant. Similar to volvo dripless which has 2 static seals however molded to the rubber
Interesting - thanks.

RoyS

Jun 3, 2012
Hunter 33 Steamboat Wharf, Hull, MA
How would you "press in the spare" without removing the shaft?

Mar 20, 2016
Beneteau 351 WYC Whitby
As a millwright for over 40 years and has changed thousands of seals....carefully,it can be tapped in with a starret punch and machinist hammer

Oct 6, 2007
Hunter H30 1982 Chicago IL
As others said already; the shaft log hose needs to be replaced and the sealant smeared around the aft end of it suggests a PO who took shortcuts. Closely inspect all below waterline hose connections and anything else he “fixed”.

RoyS

Jun 3, 2012
Mechone, how would you get the spare seal over the existing seal cap nut without removing the shaft?

Mar 20, 2016
Beneteau 351 WYC Whitby
What nut, if you look at the picture the seaL is just pressed into the housing ,thus the spare seal on the shaft.Sometimes an internal circlip is used to retain the seal ,you can't see if one is being used in the pic but I can clearly see the seal

RoyS

Jun 3, 2012
Yes, I see it now, no cap nut. Interesting assembly, I wonder who made it.