Drinking water electric pump out 29.5

jcela

Jul 7, 2004
Hunter 29.5 Kemah
Dear Hunter owners friend,
My drinking water pump of my 1995 Hunter 29.5 just went out after 20 years, not too bad, I am sure that someone in our group had this problem before and can tell me how to look for the problem and how to troubleshoot the problem. Where is the pump located? This past winter I did not use my boat at all and attribute this to the failure. Right now when I turn the Water Pressure switch on, after few seconds it trigger the breaker off.
I look at the old forums but I could not find any forum about the issue with drinking water pump, thank you all in advance for your help with my problem.
Jorge Cela
Nautica
Kemah, Texas

Dec 2, 1997
- - LIttle Rock
Everything has a lifespan and after 20 years, it'll be cheaper and easier to replace the pump. I had to do it...took me 20 minutes to swap 'em out. Plus, there have been quite a few improvements in 'em since yours was installed. 2.8 gpm would be the right size for your boat.

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Jorge, Stuff happens on a boat. Plus1 for Peggie's recommendation. She knows.
Had to replace my 1974 pump this year. Could not believe the date on the label. Went along with the water heater which is gone. The water piping is next to be removed and updated. Oh I love old boats.

Sailm8

Feb 21, 2008
Hunter 29.5 Punta Gorda
My pump was forward starboard side near the water tank. Was not too bad to replace. Be sure to test the new pump before you replace. Don't ask how I know.

May 24, 2004
CC 30 South Florida
And use electrical tape, NOT wire nuts, to splice the wires. Wire nuts don't meet ABYC safety standards.
Peggie I have in the past used tons of electrical tape but now prefer heat shrink connectors. The tape dries up, the glue fails and the wires unwind themselves. Definitely no wire nuts.

Jun 3, 2010
Hunter 27-3 Erie
I did the same repair/replacement on my 2008 vintage pump a month ago. Our pump was also located forward, starboard, within a foot of the water tank. I would say first find the location of your fresh water tank, then start lifting hatch boards near it to find the pump. It was a very straight forward job, two wires, water in, water out fittings. Fortunately (or not I guess) our pump was new enough that an exact replacement was available from Jabsco so it was less than a 1/2 hour project. As far as he wire connections, I used butt connectors with shrink adhesive inside them made by Ancor. I always keep a small box of various sizes on board just in case. You strip back the wire about 1/8 - 3/16", twist the strands, put it in the connector and use a crimping tool to squeeze it. Once done I use a BBQ lighter to carefully melt the glue. I have also used shrink tubing over butt connectors keeping in mind we are in fresh water and the connections are in a locker not the bilge so it is dry.

Dec 19, 2006
Hunter 36 Punta Gorda
When ever crimping any kind of connectors on wires I put electric grease (dielectric)
on the wire before crimping or shrink wrap,I have seen corrosion sneak onto wires
know matter what you put on.
I just freed up a frozen pump on my RV but a week later it froze solid and replaced it.
Nick

jcela

Jul 7, 2004
Hunter 29.5 Kemah
Thank you all for the advise.
As you had suggested the pump was located starboard side right, forward, next to the water heater. I had no problem removing it and I am now waiting to receive the replacement pump I ordered. The original pump built 1-95 was a Shurflo 2088-423-244 and will be replaced by model 2088-554-144. I am hoping to be able to attach the pump without much problem since I have been told that the new pumps have a different foot print and so the new base would not match the pattern of the old base. I was hoping to be able to swap the base plate but I have been told that they have also changed the two bolt pattern so that is not possible to swap the base either.
Thank you for all your help.
I will try to post a photo once I complete the job.
Happy sailing to all.
Jorge
Nautica

Sep 3, 2012
Hunter 285 Grand Rivers Ky
Just went through this on mine. Turns out after changing the pump and other troubleshooting... It was s faulty worn out circuit breaker. Installed new breaker, fixed problem.

Jeff