Drilling the pedestal guard

Jun 8, 2004
Catalina 320 Dana Point
I need to add a new Navpod to house a 7" gps, I'm not looking forward to drilling the necessary holes. All I'm coming up with is cobalt bits with starter points, but I don't remember them as working very well. I thought to remove the guard and put it on a drill press but then remembered all the wires still in there. Have to look closer and see what would take longer, drilling in place or removal and re-install.
Anyone aware of a "magic" drill bit or method ?

Jan 11, 2014
Sabre 362 113 Fair Haven, NY
Scroll down towards the end of this article. https://marinehowto.com/chart-plotter-mount-for-edson-pedestals/

It is probably a good idea to remove any wires in the pedestal guard before drilling, so that the wires are not accidentally damaged by the bit. When I drilled my guard I clamped it to a work bench and used a cordless drill. One key to drilling SS is to keep the bit very cool, lots of water or lubricating oil. Start with a small bit and work your way up.

Jan 22, 2008
Islander Freeport, 41 Ketch Longmont, CO
So I've drilled mine in place twice to add instruments on both sides. The easiest was using a small hole saw with a pilot bit. I actually used the mount as a guide to keep me centered over the hole. As noted, if there are currently wires inside then you should protect them and keep water or oil handy to cool the bit. The guards are usually thin walled stainless so its not a hard job and goes pretty quick. Once the hole is drilled you'll want to get a small jewelers file inside to round off the burrs left from drilling but otherwise it takes longer to type this message than it does to complete the drilling.

Have fun,

Jul 8, 2012
Catalina 28 North East
As Dave said -

https://marinehowto.com/chart-plotter-mount-for-edson-pedestals/

I started with a small bit at slow speed with a fresh bit (nothing special, a set of Kobalts), and plenty of lubrication. That bit followed with another till I got to 1/4 inch, then the holesaw. The smallest holesaw you can get away with is probably best, also make sure to clean the edges of the hole with a dremel or something similar, it can be a really sharp edge.

Jan 22, 2008
Hunter 34 Alameda CA
Drill at slow rpm. If you go too fast the SS will work harden and it will be really hard to drill beyond that. I've had luck with a pilot hole (don't push hard or you can snap the bit. Then switch to a step bit. It gradually enlarges the hole to the final size.

Aug 13, 2012
Catalina 270 Ottawa
The best way to drill the holes in the binnacle is... not to drill them at all. Rather, cut them using a Dremel and a cut wheel. If you need to run a cable with an end plug on it, the chances are good that you need to elongate the hole. Make the cut like this: \_/ (when looking from the side).

If you drill, use the slowest speed you can (200-300 rpm). SS is reasonably easy to cut; much more difficult to drill). A hole saw works fine (after you manage to drill the pilot hole). A hand drill is quite difficult to keep at low speed; a drill press is usually much easier.

Use Teflon spray (Sailkote) for lubrication - it is clean and easy.

Jun 8, 2004
Catalina 320 Dana Point
Thank you, good suggestions all, the more I think about that tool the more I like it.

dLj

Mar 23, 2017
Belliure 41 Sailing back to the Chesapeake
If you want to drill stainless, you should use what is called a 135 degree split point cobalt drill bit. I've only ever found them in industrial supply houses, McMaster has them, amoung others. They aren't cheap.You can of course use one of the methods mentioned above.

dj

Dec 28, 2015
Laser, Hunter H30 Cherubini Tacoma
Buy a quality bit and buy two of each size you need to start small and work up to the finish diameter. You should be able to do it in 2 to 3 sizes. Cutting oil works wonders. I've used a pilot bit to drill through both sides then a step bit to enlarge them on both sides. It's not rocket science just go slow and dont bind/break the bit.