Drill into my traveler bar?

gtg

Sep 12, 2019
Catalina, Hobbie 22, 16 Windycrest
Hello, I have been stewing over this idea for some time. Tell me what you think Catalina owner. I need to install a traveler car for the mainsheet and the cleats to go with it on my 1974 22.

I'd like to avoid drilling more holes in the fiberglass. The traveler kit is quite extensive with drilling holes for the traveler system(pic 1). I'd like to install the cleats on the vertical part of the traveler bar with this fancy vertical cleating system(pic 2). I lack the stern pulpit the product asks for. Could I drill into my traveler bar and hope for good functionality?

Do I adjust my traveler every time I sail or just in low wind?

Attachments

Last edited:
Jan 22, 2008
Islander Freeport, 41 Ketch Longmont, CO
I would not suggest drilling into the traveler bar. It will weaken the bar and you will end up with a failure at the worst time (failure will occur in high winds when sailing close hauled).

Drilling into the fiberglass isn't that big a deal but if you want an option, mount the cleat on a hose clamp and mount that to the traveler bar. You don't weaken the bar and you can move the cleat later.

This looks like its an end boom sheeting system but yes, traveler adjustments are a done on all points of sail and is a common adjustment.

May 17, 2004
Other Catalina 30 Tucson, AZ
[QUOTE="gtg, post: 1660635, member: 146124"
[/QUOTE]
Every time you move the boom horizontally to compensate for the various points of sail and wind conditions YOU'RE THE TRAVELER. The traveler adjusts the angle of attack.

In order to sail you're boat efficiently you need to know the function of ALL the sail trim controls for the main and jib not only to get the most out of your sails but also so that the sail trim controls don't work against each other.

gtg

Sep 12, 2019
Catalina, Hobbie 22, 16 Windycrest
[QUOTE="gtg, post: 1660635, member: 146124"
Every time you move the boom horizontally to compensate for the various points of sail and wind conditions YOU'RE THE TRAVELER. The traveler adjusts the angle of attack.

In order to sail you're boat efficiently you need to know the function of ALL the sail trim controls for the main and jib not only to get the most out of your sails but also so that the sail trim controls don't work against each other.
[/QUOTE]

"Every time you move the boom horizontally to compensate for the various points of sail and wind conditions YOU'RE THE TRAVELER. The traveler adjusts the angle of attack."

I will think on this and do more research.

May 17, 2004
Other Catalina 30 Tucson, AZ
I will think on this and do more research.
Why waste time researching - I've already done the research for you with my book "The Sail Trim Users Guide" , which is available thru the ships store on this site along with the "Sail Trim Chart", which will give you the sail trim control setting for ALL the sail trim controls for the main and jib for all points of sail and wind conditions.

Joe

Jun 1, 2004
Catalina 27 Mission Bay, San Diego
I don't think you're going to be happy with mounting the cleat the way you've suggested.... First of all, your method doesn't show any purchase. Second you'll have trouble releasing the line without being right next to it in the stern, instead of more forward in the cockpit or on the coaming. Thirdly, I don't think the sharp angle from the fairlead to the cam cleat is gonna work well.. and lastly... why are you afraid of putting a few small holes in your boat? You're certainly not going to affect its resale... and old unused holes are very simple to patch.