Dried soot in engine compartment.

Danush

Nov 4, 2019
Catalina 320 Lake Lanier georgia
What could be cause? I noticed a flex tubing came apart but was told it did not have to do with exhaust but likely the air conditioner.

Oct 29, 2016
Hunter 41 DS Port Huron
I would say its more likely belt dust, not soot. Is it more predominately at the front end of the engine? Soot means smoke, smoke means odor and a high likely hood of CO, means really bad things could happen.

SG

Feb 11, 2017
J/Boat J/160 Annapolis
Beyond the tight belts or overly loose ones, sometimes the return air from the engine gets cycled through from the stern.
How much? Is the problem new?

Sep 15, 2013
Catalina 270 Baltimore
Don't discount stray exhaust. Back in 2015 I started to notice small amounts of soot in my engine compartment. Then after docking after a 2.5 hour motoring trip the engine compartment was an unholy mess of soot. What happened was a very small hole started to form in the exhaust riser. This was from internal corrosion. I did not notice it through the nice red paint job the PO's mechanic applied. That accounted for the small amount of soot. Then the hole got a lot bigger (1/4") one day and blew soot everywhere. Four years later I am still finding sooty places and cleaning them.

Dec 29, 2008
Treworgy 65' LOA Custom Steel Pilothouse Staysail Ketch St. Croix, Virgin Islands
I’m betting a belt. When was it last replaced? Is it very old? Is it new, but the wrong size, or too loose?