Dremel tool for gelcoat repair?

Oct 29, 2005
Hunter Marine 326 303 Singapore
From what I know from reading posts here, I would need a dremel tool to create a gorge on the gelcoat crack before applying the gelcoat putty.
Ralph, since you got me interested in gelcoat repair (one or two per year), I believe you would have some answers for me. :D

Jan 4, 2006
Hunter 310 West Vancouver, B.C.
Hi Ken ............. a Dremel is the easiest way to gouge out a groove when repairing spider cracks. Take a look on e-bay as ther're almost giving them away now. I'm sure I paid much more 15 years ago when I got mine.

I use a small oval shaped grinding burr bit which cuts quickly and accurately into the FG. No great accuracy required, just remove the cracked material. Started doing this about five years ago and haven't seen a crack come back yet although it's impossible to locate the previously worked areas.

Pretty sure you'll be able to use pure white gel coat and get a perfect colour match on your 2002 as I can on my 1999.

Attachments

Oct 29, 2005
Ralph, thanks for great info. I'll check out the Chinese made dremel tool. Especially the free postage ones :)

Oct 29, 2005
Ralph, I've an Oscillation Multi Tool with various cutting plates. Just thinking aloud, could I use this multi tool to gouge the gelcoat? Would it do more harm than good? It doesn't have the rotary type bits like your pictures.

Sep 15, 2009
S2 9.2a Fairhope Al
Ralph, I've an Oscillation Multi Tool with various cutting plates. Just thinking aloud, could I use this multi tool to gouge the gelcoat? Would it do more harm than good? It doesn't have the rotary type bits like your pictures.
If are going to use a multi tool get the carbide blade and don't cut to deep about 1/8 deep and keep it moving back and forth along the length of the crack so as not to go to deep

Regards

Woody

Dec 19, 2006
Hunter 36 Punta Gorda
Tool

I saw the dealer gelcoat guy repair my gelcoat and he did use the rotary type tool and just went back and forth not going very deep at all just to grind away the crack and than fill in and sand smooth and spray new gelcoat.
Don't want to make it deep just to hold new filler.
Nick

Jan 4, 2006
Ralph, I've an Oscillation Multi Tool with various cutting plates. Just thinking aloud, could I use this multi tool to gouge the gelcoat?
If it's like the disc used on an angle grinder, it may be a tad aggressive. If you can use it as Woodster suggests, it'll do the trick. My big worry would be having it grab and dance over the adjoining areas of gel coat. No loss of life, just a few more areas to repair.

When all the cracks are gouged out, there's no magic, mystery, spraying or anything else fancy ............ just fill the grooves with gel coat using a small artist's paint brush.

Dec 19, 2006
Hunter 36 Punta Gorda
Gelcoat

The 2 guys I had do repair work grinded the cracks with small rotary grinder and than filled with filler and than gelcoat and nice job.
Nick

Jun 2, 2011
Hunter H33 Port Credit Harbour, ON.
Ken,

I have a Fein Multimaster and use it for a lot of projects. I also have a rotary tool. In my opinion the rotary tool will remove the gelcoat material faster but the job can absolutely be done with the oscillating tool. Use course sand paper rather than a toothed blade. Hold the sanding plate at a 30 degree angle to the surface and run the lower edge along the gelcoat crack. Repeat with the sanding disc on the opposite side of the crack and you will end up with a nicely flared groove in which to fill with new gelcoat. You can use finer sandpaper to finish the repair with the oscillating tool.

I wouldn't go and purchase a rotary tool for this type of repair if I already had the oscillating tool. Don't be afraid of this job. Worst case, if the color doesn't match, sand it out again and use another shade.

Good Luck.

May 18, 2010
Oday 27 Gulfport, MS
This is something I'll need to start doing as well. For clarification, are we talking about filling our new grooves with gel coat only, or filling with resin or epoxy or something else-- and then topcoat with gel coat by brush? I guess also to reinforce problem areas first so the cracks don't return? (Areas like lifeline stanchions with only washers for backing plates. Dooh!)

Jan 4, 2006
For clarification, are we talking about filling our new grooves with gel coat only, or filling with resin or epoxy or something else-- and then topcoat with gel coat by brush?
The cracks I've been repairning (couple per year) are the small annoying spider cracks which appear in the damndest places and appear to have no stress raisers anywhere in the neighbourhood. I've seen several theories as to WHY they appear ............... gel coat too thick, to much catalyst, etc, etc, but the fact remains that they DO appear from time to time.

I grind them out to maximum of 1/16" and then use an artist's paint brush to fill with gel coat. Mask the work and sand, ending with 1500 wet 'r dry. That's about as complicated as it gets.

If you're into larger repairs, then you'd want to use filler and top with gel coat.

May 18, 2010
Oday 27 Gulfport, MS
Thanks Ralph, sounds easy to start as you described since about half if mine are spider cracks too. Weather is starting to warm up down here so hopefully I can start some of this up.

Jun 5, 2010
Hunter 25 Burlington NJ
Pro clue about gelcoat-crack repair

I use the little stone tool in the Dremel, rather than the carbide grinder bitt. I find it gentler and more controllable. Also it is cheaper. And it lasts as long as you'd care to use it-- I've done about four boats with the current one and it's still fine.

I opted to forego the Dremel-brand machine, especially the battery-powered one, after seeing several coworkers cuss theirs out when the batteries died too soon or the switches gave out. My 'Dremel' is a Blue Hawk 115vac one from Lowe's. It's easily used and the speed control is reliable and clearly marked. This has been what coworkers have asked to borrow when their Dremel-brand ones failed them.

One 'pro' trick: when you are tracing the crack with the grinding tool, make one full pass over some smallish area first. Then, wipe aside the dust and inspect the gouge you just made. If you see any dark line inside it, you have not gone deeply enough-- the crack is still there. Don't worry about going down to the 'glass-- this may be preferable in most cases. Also, if you see any gaps at all, voids, cracks, chipping, etc., where you have gouged, dig it all out. This may prove alarmingly dramatic; but it's necessary. Chase that damage till there's no damage left. And there's no sense in going past a few 'small' ones. Any of them can reveal problems-- pursue them all. This job, if done right, can easily take up more than a weekend.

I filled some of my topside cracks with Evercoat 27; but the cream hardener failed in the most recent application, the stuff never kicked, and three days later I had to remove it all and refill the cracks. After that I used WEST epoxy with 403 filler, same as I used on the bottom. So long as it's not a wide, deep area (which gouges won't be), epoxy will not shrink or crack from the expanse and is really the best thing to use.

If it's a larger area, or if there are so many cracks that you might as well just trowel on a whole layer (particularly underwater), consider MAS milled fibers. This is not the cheapest way to go; but the milled fibers are in fact the same material as the fiberglass, so they will add the most strength with the least work (as compared to poking 'monkey hair' into the gouges by brush/stick/finger/hand/face/etc). Milled fibers are just the very devil to sand, so go thinly and evenly from the start.

All of this can be finished with a skimming with gelcoat; but if you add any filler to the gelcoat keep in mind that it will change color. Your best bet is to leave it a little rough (100 grit?) and fair before applying several healthy coats of gelcoat by itself, enough to permit you to fair it with sandpaper (120/180/220/320/400/600+). These can be done with a roller-- spraying it won't give you enough buildup. Going too thin with the gelcoat will let you burn through to the repair, over and over. Just don't put on the gelcoat so thick that it'll crack.

Interlux recommends trowelling a thin mix of epoxy with gouge filler over the whole bottom before application of Interprotect. Fortunately I 'accidentally' did this before opening the can (and then reading the guide). In any case a two-part epoxy barrier coat is de rigueur after filling gelcoat cracks, especially of any of them were sort of deep.

Last edited: