Dreams Submerged

Aug 3, 2012
Performance Cruising Telstar 28 302 Watkins Glen
Either way, stop.

whole section of coast is well maintained and well marked

They are lucky it happened where it did.

- Will (Dragonfly)
True, true, and true. 100 yards from shore is the best place to ditch.

May 17, 2004
Beneteau Oceanis 37 Havre de Grace
They grounded, presumably on sand, and the keel feel off? I'm thinking they're lucky to have had this mishap close to help, before something failed somewhere more life threatening.

Also, having their life's savings invested in their boat and not insuring it is a dubious decision. Compare their hardship with Wicked Salty who probably started in similar circumstances but can collect the insurance and continue on.

Gunni

Mar 16, 2010
Beneteau 411 Oceanis Annapolis
Years ago there was one of these, a small daysailer sunk on the side of the channel approach to Sarasota. About 12 ft of the stick and spreaders was all you could see.

Everyone wants their kids to have dreams, most of us want them to be able to insure their dreams.

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
It amazes me with all the resources,
  1. This forum
  2. YouTube
  3. Classes
  4. Marina folk chatting
  5. Books
  6. Blogs
That this couple ventured out into the unknown with no skills. Sure their dad got them started, but I would think if the two looked questionable after spending a few days with them Dad would be said something. How do you go several days in a new boat, as new sailors and not discuss your plans? How would a Dad say “sure go forth” if he knew their plan involved entering a unknown harbor in the dark with old charts.

Oct 19, 2017
O'Day 19 Littleton, NH
How would a Dad say “sure go forth” if he knew their plan involved entering a unknown harbor in the dark with old charts.
Even if he didn't know their plans to do something like that. Assuming their dad actually knew how to sail, is there any one of you who would not be giving complete instructions on navigation along with sailing if your young adult kids asked you to help sail their new boat 1000 miles along the coast? I think it's safe to say that everyone on this forum would leap at the chance to prepare their kids and share their love of sailing with their children.

I'm going to assume, until I learn otherwise, that the father didn't know much about sailing either. It's always hard to know what you don't know. But sailing the World isn't believed to be a casual endeavor by even non-sailors. They definitely failed to inform themselves when they should have known better.
Still, We all make bad decisions sometimes and I feel for them. They can now claim a little more experience and I hope they keep at it.

- Will (Dragonfly)

Aug 3, 2012
YouTube is a big part of the problem. It idealizes and simplifies the process of sailing. The other resources would have given them information. YouTube gives them a STORY. A story will not get you through a sandbar.

Last edited:

leo310

Dec 15, 2006
Catalina 310 44 Campbell River BC
A few years ago in the Vanisle 360 we had 1 boat that asked the for help to enter a strange harbor they lost all the electronics and only had charts. These are experience sailors and sail overnight but still called for help.

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Knowing to call for help begins with having a radio and how to use it.
The report states “Walsh dialed Sea Tow”. Could be a report error “dialed”, but I think not. They likely used the cell phone.

May 17, 2004
Knowing to call for help begins with having a radio and how to use it.
The report states “Walsh dialed Sea Tow”. Could be a report error “dialed”, but I think not. They likely used the cell phone.
If they had coverage and the call got through I'd have a hard time faulting them for that, compared to their other decisions. In a high stress situation I'd take the familiarity of a cell over a crackly push-to-talk simplex radio. If the article read "they tried to call SeaTow but were out of cell range and floated helplessly" that would be a different story.

May 17, 2004
YouTube is a big part of the problem. It idealizes and simplifies the process of sailing. The other resources would have given them information. YouTube gives them a STORY. A story will not get you through a sandbar.
YouTube, like other media, can be both a tool and entertainment. I can find videos on chart reading, seamanship, etc along with the "stories". Faulting YouTube as a resource strikes me like faulting books as a resource if you only read novels.

Jan 19, 2010
Hobie 16 & Rhodes 22 Skeeter Charleston
I feel bad for them. Most of us on this forum have gotten into a scrape or two... and we pride ourselves for having the skills and creativity to have gotten out of the scrape. But it could have been different for us and we could be the brunt of these stories.

Yes they entered a new harbor after dark. But maybe they hadn't planned to and did not know they had better options. Imagine if they had been going just a little slower and instead nudged the bottom... gotten off on their own and then wrote up the story on this forum. We would all be congratulating them for figuring it out... and then sharing stories of how we had gone aground before. I love you guys (most of you) but I do cringe when we get on one of our judgmental bends every time someone has a really bad day on the water.

Okay okay... they should have had insurance but other than that... they got confused and went aground... and things went really bad for them.

Aug 3, 2012
But sailing the World isn't believed to be a casual endeavor by even non-sailors. They definitely failed to inform themselves when they should have known better.
- Will (Dragonfly)
Um... sailing is often presented as a casual endeavor. YouTube creates a story, a fantasy. Many people are educated on the benefits of sailing via blogs and YouTube.
So what if YouTube presents a blog of a bad storm. It shows the viewers that they survived without much difficulty. YouTube makes it look easy. There is scant real teaching.
The viewer has no idea of the rigors and dangers of sailing.
You and I would never take a blue water cruise lightly, but we have years of experience in the trials of sailing, the stresses, strains, problems, and accidents. Unfortunately, a video culture can pick up an idea with no background information.
We are entering an era of unparalleled access to information, but what actually is good information?

Aug 3, 2012
YouTube, like other media, can be both a tool and entertainment. I can find videos on chart reading, seamanship, etc along with the "stories". Faulting YouTube as a resource strikes me like faulting books as a resource if you only read novels.
No problem, books are great, but YouTube returns sources that keep you viewing! Books do not. So YouTube controls what people see. The Wall Street Journal did an article on this last week, showing that search results tended toward more dramatic results. Thus, viewers are unlikely to be given clear information. Viewers will be directed toward popular media, not good information.
I am not saying YouTube can’t be a good source. I am saying there is a plethora of media misinforming people.
I do not know where this couple got their dream. I hope it works out for them. However, they were clearly undereducated.

Oct 10, 2011
Tartan 34C Toms River, New Jersey
Seeing that the couple was from Colorado, maybe they just brought a little too much wacky weed with them.
just thought I'd throw that out there. a little humor never hurt.:confused:

Jan 4, 2013
Catalina 270 Rochester, NY
Does anyone else think it's ridiculous to spend $5000 on a 28ft, 1969 Columbia? On Sailing Miss Lone Star
she bought a 1976 CAL 2-29 for a DOLLAR. She had to get rid of a lot of mold, buy new cushions, rigging, and a outboard to replace the inboard engine.

Aug 3, 2012
Does anyone else think it's ridiculous to spend $5000 on a 28ft, 1969 Columbia? On Sailing Miss Lone Star
she bought a 1976 CAL 2-29 for a DOLLAR. She had to get rid of a lot of mold, buy new cushions, rigging, and a outboard to replace the inboard engine.
Good point. There are refurbished boats that are worth the money. But they didn’t say what they bought or spent money on.