Draining water tanks

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jun 2, 2004
Catalina 400 Sunset Beach, N C
I have a 2001 Catalina 400 MK II(hull#233) with both a forward and aft water tank. Is there an easy way to drain these? I have done limited cruising and the water needs to be changed. Thanks, Bill Allen

Feb 20, 2005
- - Lake Lanier, GA
Bill, I'm not sure if your C400 has the same water manifold system as my C350 has. It is located in the bilge over the keel in my boat. There is a blue one for cold water and a red one for hot. If you have this you can open the drain in the manifold, (the outlet with no hose attached) turn on a faucet and run it until the tank is dry. Then switch to the other tank and run it dry.

J

John

If you open the spigot in the manifold, you'd better be prepared to put the bilge cover in place quickly. The water will come out of that spigot at a high rate of pressure. I have the three-tank set-up on my 350. My dealer recommended draining the tanks through the faucets in the sinks. That way, you are sure to clear out the anti-freeze in the tanks. It takes longer, but you can do other work while the tanks are draining.

Oct 26, 2004
- - Corpus Christi
C400 tanks

William-- I have hull #175 (also a MKII) and I do it the easy way -- I use the pressure pump and just turn on the sink faucet. I figure this flushes all the lines between tank and pump. If I know I'm not going to need the water for a while, I'll drain the tanks, put about 5 gallons of dockside water back in each tank with a cup of bleach. I do this just before a daysail to let the solution slosh around and then I drain the tanks dry back at the docks and close the tank valves. I've been very pleased with the water system on this boat. Cheers

C

Chris

Draining tanks

I have a C36 mkII, and the best ( fastest) way to drain the watertanks is with the Hotwater tank drain. Attach a scrap of garden hose and lead the water into the bilge. open up and let her go... Fastern than running all the sinks... Regards, Chris

Jun 2, 2004
Several Catalinas C25/C320 USA
Drain

I do like Chris, except I run the piece of hose in a bucket and dump it overboard.

Status
Not open for further replies.