Draining the fuel tank

Jan 4, 2007
Hunter 30 Centerport
Through the mechanical fuel gauge

On my 1978 H23 the fuel tank was under the starboard lazarette seat. You could see and reach the top of the tank with the lazarette open. The tank had a mechanical fuel gauge that came out with 4 screws. With the gauge out I would pump the fuel into a two 5 gallon cans with a $6 harbor freight hand pump. With the gauge out and a flexible rod I would clean the tank with cotton rags cut into strips. I'd attach a strong cord to the rag and put it in the tank and move it around with the flexible rod. With multiple rags I was able to clean the tank out. This won't work with a larger tank with baffles. Buy my h27 had a 10 gal tank without them. Was a pain but worked pretty well.

I'd strain the fuel and pour it into my home heating oil fuel tank. Diesel fuel is the same as #2 fuel oil with transport dye to show that the fuel tax has been
Paid. The dregs. I'd bring to the auto repair shop for recycling.

To prevent problems make sure the rubber o ring in the fuel fill stopper is in food condition. Very important if your fuel fill is on the deck. Less of an issue if the fuel fill is under the lid of a lazarette or something.

Mar 26, 2012
Macgregor 26M Cave Run Lake (KY)
On my 1978 H23 the fuel tank was under the starboard lazarette seat. You could see and reach the top of the tank with the lazarette open. The tank had a mechanical fuel gauge that came out with 4 screws. With the gauge out I would pump the fuel into a two 5 gallon cans with a $6 harbor freight hand pump. With the gauge out and a flexible rod I would clean the tank with cotton rags cut into strips. I'd attach a strong cord to the rag and put it in the tank and move it around with the flexible rod. With multiple rags I was able to clean the tank out. This won't work with a larger tank with baffles. Buy my h27 had a 10 gal tank without them. Was a pain but worked pretty well.

I'd strain the fuel and pour it into my home heating oil fuel tank. Diesel fuel is the same as #2 fuel oil with transport dye to show that the fuel tax has been
Paid. The dregs. I'd bring to the auto repair shop for recycling.

To prevent problems make sure the rubber o ring in the fuel fill stopper is in food condition. Very important if your fuel fill is on the deck. Less of an issue if the fuel fill is under the lid of a lazarette or something.
I'm always impressed with the creative problem solving solutions, like yours Nelson, offered by fellow skippers on this forum.
I'm going to do a closer inspection Sunday in order to decide what I'll be doing.
Thank you, kindly!

Mar 28, 2014
Hunter 31 Lake Norman, NC
Since additives have been included in the discussion, can I ask for recommendations for fuel additives . . bio or otherwise? Thanks in advance!

Mar 26, 2012
Macgregor 26M Cave Run Lake (KY)
Since additives have been included in the discussion, can I ask for recommendations for fuel additives . . bio or otherwise? Thanks in advance!
Sta-bil is widely used, especially for winter prep.
http://www.amazon.com/Sta-Bil-22254-Stabilizer-Performance-Improver/product-reviews/B0030553CC
One consideration is where you buy diesel. Try to buy from stations with high sales so fresh fuel can be expected regularly. That suggests being sure to use as much fuel in your tank before filling them so you'll minimize old fuel in the tank. I try to refill at 1/2 tank or less and the adding the suggested amount of stabilizer.

Kh3412

Oct 11, 2012
Catalina 34 Lake Erie
To answer some of the messages I received. Unable to post pictures in messages so hate to hijack the tread but here they are.
[
ATTACH]75719[/ATTACH]

The hatch looking from the galley

image-2201390720.jpg

The batteries are much easier to get to

image-3542307642.jpg

Fuel tank over the top of batteries you can just see the gauge in the right upper corner

image-2331963441.jpg

Working on refinishing the sole

image-1541587923.jpg

The mast step after I replaced the wood due to water turning it to mush

Attachments