Draining Rasmus fuel tank

Status
Not open for further replies.

JFHPJ

Nov 7, 2009
Hallberg Rassy Rasmus Dart River
I need to drain the fuel tank on our Rasmus because of contaminated fuel (diesel bug). According to the original Rasmus specification the diesel fuel tank has a "separate drain pump to simplify checking or draining of water due to condensation." Does anyone know where this pump is located? My Rasmus has a pump fitted in order to take fuel from the main tank to the heater tank but I don't think this is an original pump and my hunch is that it doesn't take fuel from the bottom of the main tank where all the water and contamination will be accumulated.

Any suggestions of the location of the pump or how else to drain the tank are very welcome.

Jeremy PJ

Z

zapaldude

Bad fuel

I need to drain the fuel tank on our Rasmus because of contaminated fuel (diesel bug). According to the original Rasmus specification the diesel fuel tank has a "separate drain pump to simplify checking or draining of water due to condensation." Does anyone know where this pump is located? My Rasmus has a pump fitted in order to take fuel from the main tank to the heater tank but I don't think this is an original pump and my hunch is that it doesn't take fuel from the bottom of the main tank where all the water and contamination will be accumulated.

Any suggestions of the location of the pump or how else to drain the tank are very welcome.

Jeremy PJ
Hi, I own a HR Mosun 31 and have the same problem.Since there is no look out, very difficult to clean those tanks. So far I have installed a 12v pump and filter my fuel one hour at a time and redirect the fuel in the tank. I pass it through th Racor.I also used the manual water pump used to test the fuel or empty the water from the sump in the bottom of the tank.This pump on my boat was installed in the port cockpit locker.It was a small brass pump wich lines leads to the bottom of the tank in a sump.You could use another hand pump or electric pump to fit to that line.I also used an enzyme diesel treatment for tank cleaning wich helped a lot.The product is sold at Weat Marine.don't put any biocide.Ask for an enzyme product.

Good luck

Yves from Quebec.

JFHPJ

Nov 7, 2009
Many thanks for that - very helpful.

The 12v pump for the heater tank is in the port cockpit locker so perhaps this is the original pump for draining the main tank. I'll try it. The next step advised is fluch out the tank with water and detergent before refilling but I'd be afraid that I then wouldn't be able to get the last drops of water out. Might be better to flush with clean diesel a few times.
Several people advise using an enzyme rather than a biocide additive so this is what I'll do.

regards

Jeremy PJ

Hi, I own a HR Mosun 31 and have the same problem.Since there is no look out, very difficult to clean those tanks. So far I have installed a 12v pump and filter my fuel one hour at a time and redirect the fuel in the tank. I pass it through th Racor.I also used the manual water pump used to test the fuel or empty the water from the sump in the bottom of the tank.This pump on my boat was installed in the port cockpit locker.It was a small brass pump wich lines leads to the bottom of the tank in a sump.You could use another hand pump or electric pump to fit to that line.I also used an enzyme diesel treatment for tank cleaning wich helped a lot.The product is sold at Weat Marine.don't put any biocide.Ask for an enzyme product.

Good luck

Yves from Quebec.

L

luftvapnet

How we drain the fuel tank on our HR35 Rasmus

We have done like this on our Rasmus:

Took off 'man-hole' cover on fuel tank (under the engine). Installed a large-bore thru-hull in the front end of the cover. The thru-hull has a cap. Refit cover. Use thru-hull to insert stem of 'oil barrel type manual pump' to suck out all fuel at end of season. Fill/rinse tank with 3 -4 gallons of fresh diesel at beginning of next season (suck out, check, reinsert/discard).

We do not have any 12v pump in the port cockpit locker.
On our HR41, there's a manual sump pump in the engine room, but the diameter of the pipe is too small in my view. We have solved the problem in the same way as on our Rasmus.

Admittedly, it is easier said than done...
See more on our site www.syanna.se

JFHPJ

Nov 7, 2009
many thanks for that - I had a look at your website (very nice site!) but suspect that what you suggest is only really possible when the engine is out. I hope it won't come to that!

best of luck with the HR41 and I hope you find a buyer for the Rasmus. Looks like you'll have plenty of space. We are a family of five on our Rasmus which can feel a little cramped at times!

best wishes

Jeremy PJ

Mar 19, 2010
Hallberg-Rassy HR41 -
... suspect that what you suggest is only really possible when the engine is out. I hope it won't come to that!
I don't remember if it can be done with the MD21 installed, but with the D2-40 we just had enough clearance to get the manhole cover out (though you will end up bending the fuel pipe into almost a 90 degree bend - which of course have to be taken out first). We have had a lot of problems with the diesel getting full of some stuff (bacteria?). Maybe one way is to get a bigger bore fuel line and keep on changing the filter more often. I also heard that VolvoPenta have altered their winterizing guidelines and now recommend that the fuel tank is emptied in the autumn (before they used to recoomend that the tank be filled to minimize condensation).

JFHPJ

Nov 7, 2009
thanks for all advice

I don't remember if it can be done with the MD21 installed, but with the D2-40 we just had enough clearance to get the manhole cover out (though you will end up bending the fuel pipe into almost a 90 degree bend - which of course have to be taken out first). We have had a lot of problems with the diesel getting full of some stuff (bacteria?). Maybe one way is to get a bigger bore fuel line and keep on changing the filter more often. I also heard that VolvoPenta have altered their winterizing guidelines and now recommend that the fuel tank is emptied in the autumn (before they used to recoomend that the tank be filled to minimize condensation).
Many thanks for this. On closer inspection I realised that it was, as you say, possible to access the fuel tank inspection cover without removing the engine. So we have now pumped out the fuel, filtered it several times through a dedicated filtering machine, added an enzyme and replaced the primary and secondary filters. Besides the diesel bug bacteria there was a significant amount of water in the tank! probably the result of years accumulation of condensation. I shall in future consider draining the tank periodically rather than leaving it topped up.

JPJ

Jul 7, 2010
hr rasmus 35 west coast
tough job

Jeremy PJ
so i have had to do this 2 times in the last five years one time because i thought that my friend could fill the boat with water before we went sailing, and he did he just filled the diesel tank with the water.....ouch...any way u have to take off the fuel cell cover that is under the motor ... save all hard ware... the lid is fiberglass and the tank is as well so be carefull while prying it up... then clean the tank...a old broom with a towel woorks well for finish work.. but for startes just get all the fuel out the spray it doun with bleach and water..suck out the water then repeat if needed...u will see the tank is well built and straight forward....let tank dry completely ... replace lid ...i used a tube of gasket maker that was compatable with diesel.. once the lid was on tighted it down and clean up excess with paint thinner... i know this is vague if you have more specific questions just ask... good luck and wear something that u do not care about

neptunecalling

Status
Not open for further replies.