Draining H260 Water Tank

May 17, 2017
Hunter H260 Prince George
Does anyone have a good system to drain/flushout the water tank? I'm pumping (and pumping) all the water through the sink faucets now. I don't think I'm getting all of the water drained, or anti-freeze, and I'm wearing out the pumps, and my wrist.
Please tell me there is a better way!

Chuck

May 17, 2017
Sweet, is that a 12v pump? I guess having it in-line, further back allows you to use one pump for both sinks? Does it draw much power? Do you recall the brand and are you happy with it?

Jun 8, 2004
-na -NA Anywhere USA
@Regular Guy
Can you share some experience as to time.

On the starboard side of the tank under the V berth, you will find the pipe coming from the tank before the split of water lines one to the head and the other to the galley. Install your 12 volt pump there. You will have to change out the faucets for a simple on and off of the water removing the originals and the inline back flow preventer (forgot the real name). Running of the line and grade is critical to carry the current from the bus or 12 volt panel is critical. I use to run the wire shielded of course on the 260 in the starboard cabin lockers tucked in a way out of sight. Not sure if there is a tube underneath the seat the water line is in and if so that would be a good way to run it. If not purchase split loom or the smallest split plastic pipe to encapsulate the wire and affix in the seat locker storage up and out of the way. Going thru bulkheads, where you have a hole or drill a hole, use that same split loom or split plastic so the edges of the holes will not tear thru the wire insulation. I would if memory serves me right would come out of the right side of the galley unit. Then pulling the carpet liner or a term we in the industry used, the mouse fur, pull it back, tack the wire in the corner going up and reglue the carpet back in place. What I was trying to say, make sure wire is tucked out of the way, shielded and not seen. Looks good but sure helps not bbumping into the wire and a deterrent of five little sticky finger. Then on to the electrical panel. Your choice of pump is yours as it is your wallet but cheap crap was a no no on any boat and go with a reputable mfg. Please one long run of wire. I have seen jury rigging which is unsafe.

Apr 8, 2013
Hunter 260 Nanaimo
I added a jabsco pump at the tank , an on demand system.
If you add antifreeze it will takes several flushes to remove it as the low pipe is still 1 inch above the bottom.
My solution was to add an access port to the top on the tank .
Amazing how much sawdust and crap was in the bottom

Jan 18, 2014
Hunter 260 Palm Coast, FL
Cannot say much about flushing antifreeze, don't need it in Florida. But can tell about conversion to the pressurized water system. Installed two new faucets and a cockpit shower. Plumbing was not difficult also the wiring was easily routed along the starboard side and connected to the fuse panel. Here more pictures.

Attachments

May 17, 2017
Thanks for your replies. I'm going to start by installing the inspection hatch on the tank first and see how that works by siphoning or pumping the water out of the tank directly.

Jan 18, 2014
Hunter 260 Palm Coast, FL
Yes, probably, it was some years ago. I posted pictures and a detail install description.

Jeff_B

Aug 29, 2017
Hunter 260 Wabamum
I did this mod a couple of years ago with an RV pump and a couple drinking water faucets, one of the best upgrades I’ve done, I have to watch as the grand kids love to play with running water and run my battery’s and tank down.

May 17, 2017
I thought I would follow up with my water tank draining question. I installed an inspection hatch in the top on the tank. Its just big enough to get my forearm and a big gulp cup right down to the bottom and bail the water out by hand and into a bucket, just had to sponge out the last little bit. I'm sure glad I completely emptied it ,there was some foul looking stuff in there! Its was a cheap, easy, and effective fix, thanks Max in Calgary.

Jeff_B

Aug 29, 2017
Hunter 260 Wabamum
What did you use for the clean out hatch Chuck, I want to add one to my system.

May 17, 2017
What did you use for the clean out hatch Chuck, I want to add one to my system.

Nuova rade Inspection Hatch White with Pressure Lock Internal (133 mm)

Ref: 1251595

Quantity: 1

11.45 CDN$

(11.45 CDN$

Mar 23, 2016
Hunter 26 MN
Does anyone have a picture of the fresh water tank in the 260? I've always wanted to add a similar one to my H26. I've never seen a picture of the tank they put in the newer ones.