Drain pipe for cooler box

Oct 19, 2019
Albin Vega 27 Limerick
Hi all.
While investigating frost damage to the under-sink (original Albin) foot operated fresh water pump I noticed that the drain pipe for the cooler box (passive cooling no refrigeration) simply drained into the void where the fresh and salt water pumps live.

This seems to be a Bad Idea.

I've rerouted the pipe - extending it by about 2 feet through a small opening in the starboard engine compartment bulkhead at floor level - it now drains into the bilge.

I also noticed that there is a conduit running forward from this position allowing water to run forward into the starboard saloon floor locker and from there to I'm not sure??

Perhaps this eventually drains into the bilge but indirect drainage more likely to cause black mould in inaccessible areas?

Any comments welcome.

Thanks

John V1447 Breakaway

John Kinsella
Mathematics and Statistics Dept
University of Limerick

Phone 0035361202148
Web jkcray.maths.ul.ie

Feb 12, 2008
On Flicka the conduit runs from the aft side of the rear engine compartment bulkhead forward to the aft end of the larger bilge covers.
I've got some wiring pulled in mine. I epoxied a couple of other conduits in there as well for future wiring.

On my boat, the cooler box drain goes through the bulkhead aft of the cooler box then turns to port, goes through the

plywood panel the forms the sides under the cockpit hatch and then and into the bilge from there. -Tim
Sent: Tuesday, July 12, 2011 3:10 PM
Subject: [AlbinVega] Drain pipe for cooler box
Hi all.
While investigating frost damage to the under-sink (original Albin) foot operated fresh water pump I noticed that the drain pipe for the cooler box (passive cooling no refrigeration) simply drained into the void where the fresh and salt water pumps live.

This seems to be a Bad Idea.

I've rerouted the pipe - extending it by about 2 feet through a small opening in the starboard engine compartment bulkhead at floor level - it now drains into the bilge.

I also noticed that there is a conduit running forward from this position allowing water to run forward into the starboard saloon floor locker and from there to I'm not sure??

Perhaps this eventually drains into the bilge but indirect drainage more likely to cause black mould in inaccessible areas?

Any comments welcome.

Thanks

John V1447 Breakaway

John Kinsella
University of Limerick

Phone 0035361202148
Web jkcray.maths.ul.ie

Aug 27, 2005
Hello John Kinsella.
City Zoo, 1590, is the same as Tim Klynn's boat. I am reworking her cooler box now. You do not want the drainage from the cooler box anywhere in the bilge. It causes bad odors. I am trying to figure out the best way to catch the cooler box drainage in an empty battery box (or something else) with a method to pump it overboard or use it to cool wine bottles. If the drain has a goose neck, it needs to be blown out before freezing weather. Anyone have any ideas?
William Harris.

Oct 30, 2019
My ice box drain dumps in the bilge. I'm not sure if it's original, but it looks that way. It sounds like your cooler drained forward under the starboard settee. My vote is to dump it directly to the bilge, as you did.

Drainage in the Vega is pretty well thought out so that all stray water finds it's way bilgeward. Under the settees, about midway, there is a slot in the fiberglass that allows any water to drain into the battery box area, then to the bilge. This slot is at the low point, fore and aft, and will drain water from both directions.

It's often plugged with "whatever", but a little poking with a piece of hacksaw blade will usually clear it. It's a horizontal slot located on the inboard edge of the locker floor, about half way between the two sliding doors, if memory serves me correctly.

The starboard side is easy to get at but the port side is covered by the fiberglass panel that creates a ventilation duct through that area. Removing the settee top and prying up the duct cover is about the only way to access it, although you might try poking around in the battery box area to see if it's accessible there.

My Albin Ballad (presently stripped) has the same slots. Here is a picture:

Peter
#1331 'Sin Tacha'

May 31, 2006
- - Vancouver
My 2 cents as it is applicable to any vessel with an icebox. I rebuilt my ice box when I replaced the engine to add more insulation etc. The box drains to the bilge which is deep and the auto bilge pump takes water overboard. No smells but I do reach down with a rag from time to time and clean any excess to ensure there is no potential odour...

Speaking of odour (or lack of it in our case). How does it look for the Airhead installation Peter? Any room in that 30 footer or do you have to move up to a Siquella to accomodate?

Cheers
Brian - SS

Oct 30, 2019
Although it was removed some time ago, our drain box was plumbed to a foot pump which went to the sink. I haven't decided what I want to do with plan B, yet.

Jack
Bella - V2620

Oct 19, 2019
Albin Vega 27 Limerick
Thanks for all the informative replies

I'm probably flogging this to death but..

The fitting in the cool box floor to which the hose is attached from below is proud of the floor so the last millimetre of water in the box has to be sponged out by hand.

Is this normal or maybe a botched installation?

Thanks.

John

John Kinsella
University of Limerick

Phone 0035361202148
Web jkcray.maths.ul.ie

Oct 31, 2019
I have the same irritating problem. Perhaps the designer knew we'd
never give the thing a proper wipe down unless it was that way. Trevor
(V2915)

From: AlbinVega@yahoogroups.com [mailto:AlbinVega@yahoogroups.com] On
Behalf Of John.Kinsella
Sent: July 14, 2011 3:09 PM
To: AlbinVega@yahoogroups.com
Subject: Re: [AlbinVega] Re: Drain pipe for cooler box

Thanks for all the informative replies

I'm probably flogging this to death but..

The fitting in the cool box floor to which the hose is attached from
below is proud of the floor so the last millimetre of water in the box
has to be sponged out by hand.

Is this normal or maybe a botched installation?

Thanks.

John

John Kinsella
University of Limerick

Phone 0035361202148
Web jkcray.maths.ul.ie On 14 Jul 2011, at 11:42, "j.hunter9999" j.hunter9999@...
mailto:j.hunter9999%40yahoo.com wrote:

Oct 19, 2019
Albin Vega 27 Limerick
Best explanation I've heard! :)

John

John Kinsella
University of Limerick

Phone 0035361202148
Web jkcray.maths.ul.ie

mphalv

Sep 29, 2001
On Double Fantasy, we ran a drain hose from the ice box to a 1-gallon milk jug kept in the battery storage area. When it is about half full, we simply dump the water overboard. We installed an acrylic shelf about an inch above the bottom of the ice box to keep the ice and food above the drain hose. This has worked well for us.

Melanie Halvachs
V1826 Double Fantasy