draft of a HC 33 ?

Mar 24, 2014
Hunter 33 Kinston NC
I would like to know what the draft is for a HC33. I have seen several ads that call for a 4' draft but quite a few that call for a 5' draft. (one ad also listed a 6' beam). I'm in eastern NC and that extra foot can make a big difference here. Can anyone give me an accurate draft for that boat?

(I was a sailor a long time ago and I am looking for a boat to get back to sailing with after many years in a power boat.)

Sep 30, 2010
hunter 33 Hunter Morehead city
There are two drafts one 4'2''the other 5' one is shallow the other deep, Go to boat info and you will find what you are looking for. The beam on all of them is 10'2" as far as I know. Are you from Kinston NC and did you know Jerry Hill? He was a good friend of mine.

Mar 24, 2014
Hunter 33 Kinston NC
hello Bug, thank you for the info. It did not occur to me that there were two versions.
Yes, I knew Jerry, he was my business partner at White Owl Parts Co.

regards,
George

Paul F

Jun 3, 2004
Hunter 1980 - 33 Bradenton
The shoal draft is 4 feet. It is good for thin water. However, beware, the rudder on the shoal draft model 33 is the same as used on the deep draft model. And it will touch first when the stern of the boat is loaded or under-power. After a bad grounding and pull off that bend the rudder shaft, I had mine cut down 7". Which solved the problem.

Mar 6, 2012
Hunter H33 (limited edition cabin top) Bayou Chico
i thought the standard draft on the cherubini designed 33 was 5.25

Mar 24, 2014
Hunter 33 Kinston NC
as Bugaloo suggested, I looked in the "boat info" section and found the dimensional drawings for the HC33. It did show two drafts. And after Paul's post I went back and looked at the drawings and it showed what he said. It looks like the rudder extends deeper than the keel on the short draft model.

Sep 30, 2010
George, If you are in Morehead in the next three weeks you can see what I did to the rudder I also shortened it about 7" and put a wing on the bottom of it works great. The boats name is Calico and it is at russell's boat yard. on the MC water front, I'll be glad to meet you there any time I only live two blks away.

Mar 24, 2014
Hunter 33 Kinston NC
Bugaloo, I would like to take a look at your boat. Would one evening this week work? About 6:30pm?

George

Sep 30, 2010
George, any time will be fine I will call you at work tomorrow and give you a number to call. Looking forward to seeing you again.

Jan 2, 2008
Hunter 33 (Cherubini design Forked River, Barnegat Bay, NJ
rudders

T here were in fact two different depth rudders. I have measured them, , although I can't remember the exact dimensions. The shoal draft rudder DOES reduce st eerinq Control ' less area = less Control- When your sailing area averages 8' deep you' re willing to compromise,