Doyle Cradle Cover

May 3, 2008
Catalina 310 Catawba Island
I have a love-hate affair with my Dutchman system and as I age gracefully I find myself wanting to avoid the "six minutes of terror" going forward to put sail ties on the main and some times wrestling with the poor flaking of the sail. A lazy jack system with a boom mounted sail cover looks like a cure for my problem. I would be interested in the experience of others who may have switched from the Dutchman to lazy jacks. A quote from Doyle for the system for a C 310 is about $1,700 including installation.

Jan 22, 2008
Hunter 37 C sloop Punta Gorda FL
Sail rite has a video 'splaining how to make your own .Mary made ours for about $300. You do need a HD sewing machine tho.

Dec 16, 2011
Catalina 310 Atlantic Highlands
I have exclusively used lazy jack systems, some with boom-mounted covers that you just have to zip closed once the sail is down, and others where you still have to go forward with the ties and the cover once the sail is down. The issues I've experienced with lazy jacks have mainly been around the hoisting of the sail, where the battens can occasionally get caught up on the lazy jack lines, forcing one to partially lower and then re-raise the sail a time or two while hoisting. I have also experienced poor flaking with lazy jacks, when the cover is not integrated with the boom. I think it is the combination of lazy jacks AND the built-in cover that keeps the poor flaking to a minimum, not the lazy jacks by themselves.

Curt Sawyer
"Jacqueline"
2001 C310 #48
Treasurer, Atlantic Highlands Yacht Club

paulj

Mar 16, 2007
Catalina 310 Anacortes,Wa
So what is next.........The Milwaukee electric winch.

My mainsail was converted to a loose foot configuration also.

The proper designed zipper with a pull cord makes or breaks this setup.

UK had done it's homework.

paulj
:troll:

Attachments

Apr 8, 2010
Ericson Yachts Olson 34 28400 Portland OR
VERY helpful photos!
Thanks again.
We are having a UK LazyCradle installed next month.

Loren