Downwind underperformance

Status
Not open for further replies.
J

Joris Hitt

I have the H 37 , 1987 legend. It is a pig downwind using the asymetrical approach. Has anyone had any luck with the conventional spinnaker approach to getting these going ddw? Is it worth the expense or am I still trying to make a steak out of a hamburger? Joris

B

Bill O'Donovan

You're right

The analogy is apt. Dead downwind just isn't speedy on many cruisers, regardless of size. The asymetrical encourages you to go off at an angle of deep broad or better yet beam reach at 90 degrees. It might help to throw a bowsprit out from the anchor locker to keep the spinnaker farther away from the main, to minimize blanketing. For now, test going offwind instead of downwind. So you gybe once or twice, what the hell. It took five or six upwind tacks to get out there in the first place.

S

Steve

Reduce Drag

I put on a folding prop, and it made a world of difference. If you have a fixed prop, I would suggest the change. Steve

D

Del Wiese

asymetrical with a pole

I have an 89 Legend 37, with an asymetrical spinnaker which I usually fly from the bow like a big jib and gybe downwind. I also have rigged a track on the mast and have a spinnaker pole. I have flown the asymetrical with the pole, both from the tack and the clew, like a symetrical spinnaker. It works fine. This gives me all possible options depending on the race course and wind direction/speed.

J

Joris

all of you are right

I appreciate all your comments. The fixed blade is probably a bigger culprit than I expected. As far as running at 90/120 angles, that is what I've been doing but if the wind is light VMG kills me. The main definately blankets the asym so maybe I will try a pole, I've got the track already there. Thanks again for the food for thought.

Status
Not open for further replies.