downwind sailing in light air and otherwise

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Dan

We need all the help we can get in regards optimum sailing of 26.5 under all conditions, espesially off the wind. We welcome any advise re: rigging trim, sail trim, sail design, weight distribution, tactics,etc. We have been modestly successful upwind, but know we can do better. We have the winged keel; any information regarding other keel configurations is welcome. Please advise. Your brother of the Hunt, Dan

N

nelson Brinckehroff

short sheeting reaching/downwind

After 2 years on my 96 water ballast H26, I found a great but cheap way to speed up this small jibbed boat: running a short sheet from the jib clew back to the stern pulpit stanchions. I'm getting up to half knot faster speed on reaches because the aft-pull rather than the mast-a-beam jib sheet block allows for better wind adhesion/lift on the jib, making it far more efficient. Someone also suggested putting more wind indicators on the jib further aft to show the effect. My present experiment used a dog-leash like shackle and twine. I'm going to try better sheets. I presently call it my "secret weapon"! Try it. I'm doing much better racing after trying it. It basically overcomes one of the limitations of this boat.

Status
Not open for further replies.