Downeast Dreaming

Nov 22, 2008
Endeavour 32 Portland, Maine
Three years ago today, I was just eleven days into the rest of my life. I told people at the time that I intended to cruise in Strider ”until I have to be carried off the boat”. Part of me knew that wasn’t likely but it created the mental space for an experience very different than a cruise with a planned end date. If you have a lot of time, you can read the story of my two and a half years living aboard and my voyage home here:

http://forums.sbo.sailboatowners.com/forumdisplay.php?f=142

I learned much on the thousands of mostly solitary miles between Halifax, NS and Coco, FL. A great deal of that would be along the lines of my quip Cruising is just life and life is cruising. We tend to believe that choosing the right path will make us happy and forget that a path is just the route along which we seek and find joy. I have seen the alcohol glazed look in many cruiser’s eyes which shows the disappointment of learning that life afloat is just another road and happiness comes from what you do along the way.

Almost a year ago, I met a woman with whom I have a connection of the rarest quality. My experience of life with her has shown me that cruising is not at all essential to my happiness. I have also come to know that I would like more contact with people and community than I can find on the cruising road. So, my days of full time cruising are over, a decade or move before I expected when setting out. Another quip: The essence of cruising is being able to change your mind.

However, learning how unessential cruising is to my happiness just creates mental freedom. There is no reason to give it up although I know that I want to do less so as to create space for a greater variety of experiences.

I have a seaworthy and proven craft with the skill and experience to take her far with a minimum of fuss and anxiety. I have a love and companion who wants to see the coast of Maine under sail. So, why not run the 1600 nm from Catskill, NY around through the Cape Cod Canal to Canada and back?

Strider is scheduled to depart Saturday on the next phase of her adventures which will be more the way most people cruise, out and back and and not as a wandering liveaboard. Still, it will be the magic month of September in Maine and I am confident of even fuller and richer experiences.

Our present vision of the upcoming jaunt is as follows:

Board on Saturday or Sunday depending on weather and move out to anchor for the night.

Dinner with forumite RonRelyea in New Hamburg the next night.

Anchor the next day at Croton-on-Hudson.

The always thrilling rounding of New York City, anchoring at City Island or Port Washington depending on weather and mood.

Arrive Milford, CT Wednesday or Thursday evening.

We will then provision boat for the long haul to Maine with the aid of Dreameagle’s brother and family after which I resume singlehanding for a delivery style passage to Casco Bay. I wouldn’t mind having some crew for this leg but all the usual suspect seem to be off on other boats.

A ten day art class for Dreameagle and time with my boys for me will keep us in Casco Bay until August 25 when we will head downeast as fast as we can go via the scenic route. Our goal is to get to Saint Andrews, NB before turning back. We will then return at a more leisurely pace, exploring and visiting along the way.

We intend to be back in the Hudson for sailing here during foliage season and expect to haul the boat for the winter. However, continuing on down to Georgia is not out of the question because, who knows what our state of mind will be by then?

Check back here to see how this all unfolds.

Oct 3, 2007
- - Orange Park
Hi Roger,
Glad to hear Strider will be putting miles behind her again soon, and look forward to tales from the Maine coast I miss much. If you do find yourself in a Georgia state of mind this fall, even as far south as Florida, I promise not to shock you unannounced on an intracoastal dock.
Steve

Jimm

Jan 22, 2008
Hunter 33.5 Bodkin Creek - Bodkin YC
Well said..

Three years ago today, I was just eleven days into the rest of my life. I told people at the time that I intended to cruise in Strider ”until I have to be carried off the boat”. Part of me knew that wasn’t likely but it created the mental space for an experience very different than a cruise with a planned end date. If you have a lot of time, you can read the story of my two and a half years living aboard and my voyage home here:

http://forums.sbo.sailboatowners.com/forumdisplay.php?f=142

I learned much on the thousands of mostly solitary miles between Halifax, NS and Coco, FL. A great deal of that would be along the lines of my quip Cruising is just life and life is cruising. We tend to believe that choosing the right path will make us happy and forget that a path is just the route along which we seek and find joy. I have seen the alcohol glazed look in many cruiser’s eyes which shows the disappointment of learning that life afloat is just another road and happiness comes from what you do along the way.

Almost a year ago, I met a woman with whom I have a connection of the rarest quality. My experience of life with her has shown me that cruising is not at all essential to my happiness. I have also come to know that I would like more contact with people and community than I can find on the cruising road. So, my days of full time cruising are over, a decade or move before I expected when setting out. Another quip: The essence of cruising is being able to change your mind.

However, learning how unessential cruising is to my happiness just creates mental freedom. There is no reason to give it up although I know that I want to do less so as to create space for a greater variety of experiences.

I have a seaworthy and proven craft with the skill and experience to take her far with a minimum of fuss and anxiety. I have a love and companion who wants to see the coast of Maine under sail. So, why not run the 1600 nm from Catskill, NY around through the Cape Cod Canal to Canada and back?

Strider is scheduled to depart Saturday on the next phase of her adventures which will be more the way most people cruise, out and back and and not as a wandering liveaboard. Still, it will be the magic month of September in Maine and I am confident of even fuller and richer experiences.

Our present vision of the upcoming jaunt is as follows:

Board on Saturday or Sunday depending on weather and move out to anchor for the night.

Dinner with forumite RonRelyea in New Hamburg the next night.

Anchor the next day at Croton-on-Hudson.

The always thrilling rounding of New York City, anchoring at City Island or Port Washington depending on weather and mood.

Arrive Milford, CT Wednesday or Thursday evening.

We will then provision boat for the long haul to Maine with the aid of Dreameagle’s brother and family after which I resume singlehanding for a delivery style passage to Casco Bay. I wouldn’t mind having some crew for this leg but all the usual suspect seem to be off on other boats.

A ten day art class for Dreameagle and time with my boys for me will keep us in Casco Bay until August 25 when we will head downeast as fast as we can go via the scenic route. Our goal is to get to Saint Andrews, NB before turning back. We will then return at a more leisurely pace, exploring and visiting along the way.

We intend to be back in the Hudson for sailing here during foliage season and expect to haul the boat for the winter. However, continuing on down to Georgia is not out of the question because, who knows what our state of mind will be by then?

Check back here to see how this all unfolds.
Good to hear all's well, and you'll be back of the water. Should you come this way, I'll be wandering the Bay late September/early October with no particular plan except to sail.....

Jan 20, 2009
Endeavour 32 Fredericton, NB
Hi Roger,
As one of the usual suspects I am at Cutler last night and tonight and likely heading for Roque tomorrow. Nice local hike today. Looking forward to possibly seeing you folks in September.

Aug 26, 2006
Oday 25 Eastport, Maine
Welcome back Roger. I went outside this morning to plan my work for the day. I said to my wife it's going to be a good day. I then told her I had better check my emails before I start work. When I read your message I knew it was going to be fantastic day. I do have one note of caution for you. Please don't let Dream Eagle dangle her toes in the water when you arrive around St.Andrews. It appears they have a twenty foot Great White shark in the area. He has been here for about a month and appears to have found a home. Let me know when you expect to arrive in Eastport. It would be a pleasure to handle your lines. Fair winds. Buck...

Nov 23, 2011
MacGregor 26D London Ontario Canada
I'm glad to hear you are back at it. I always look forward to your posts.
Keep up the great work and keep living those dreams!