Down to San Diego!

• Thread starter Christof Walsdorf
  • Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
C

Christof Walsdorf

Will be heading down to San Diego from Portland, Oregon in the first week of August. Would appreciate any experience of fellow sailors gone before me. -Sights to see. -Free moorage along the way. -Weather etc. Christof

J

Justin Wolfe/PYI

Couple of ideas

Christof. Enjoy the trip. Here's a couple of places I can think of with free moorage/anchorage. Sausalito, Half Moon Bay, Monterey, San Simeon, The Channel Islands, Dana Point, and San Diego/Mission Bay. As for places to stop that's a little more difficult. If the weather is nasty (or about to get so) Newport and Coos Bay are good places to stay put. Crescent is too, but I'm not that impressed with the town. North of San Fran is Drakes Bay and another inlet. I haven't stopped there, but they might be worth checking out. Santa Cruz & Monterey are both fun, but the anchorages can be rolly. San Simeon is nice most of the time and the Hearst Castle is a unique experience. The Channel Islands / Catalina are great. San Miguel is our favorite, but the others are neat to. Emerald Bay on Catalina is a beautiful spot and a good jumping off point for a 1 day sail to San Diego. In San Diego you can anchor for 72 hours just inside Mission Bay, and Glorietta Bay. Also, on weekends you can anchor in La Playa (Shelter Island). Finally, you can anchor in the Cruisers Anchorage east of Harbor Island for 90 days. You need a permit for La Playa or the Cruisers Anchorage. You can get the permit from the Harbor Police on Shelter Island. Have fun. It's a dandy of a sail. Definitely gets better as you get further south.

D

dave young

SF area stops

Here's three choices around SF for stops around San Francisco / Golden Gate. About 50NM north of SF/GG is Bodega Bay Harbor - very safe harbor, full of services - stay in the channel or you'll be stuck in the mud, and stay away from - go south around Bodega Rock - Get close to RW "BA" before heading north into the harbor. About 25NM north of SF/GG is Drakes Bay - good place to hide or wait if the weather is coming out of the N or NW. Come into SF on a flood or it will be a rough ride, and stay out of the potato patch. Once inside SF Bay, you can moor at Ayala Cove (Angel Island) or anchor off Sausalito in Richardson Bay once through the Gate. Angel Island is a state park - costs a few bucks to pick up the two moorings (one aft, one fwd) you will need to tie up to. You can also get a slip at Pier 39 on the SF waterfront. And about 25NM south of SF/GG is a sheltered anchorage in Half Moon Bay. Stay away from the breakers between Pillar Point and G"3". If you want more specifics about any of this area, I'll let you know what else I can.

Sep 24, 1999
Hunter H46LE Sausalito
day hops

Assuming a northwest swell, some good anchorages from Drakes Bay south are: Halfmoon Bay, Stillwater Cove, San Simeon, Morro Bay, San Miguel Island (Cuyler), Santa Rosa Island, Santa Cruz Island (THE BEST!), Santa Catalina Island. Stillwater and San Simeon can get a bit rolly if the swells get weird. Halfmoon Bay offers tough holding ground, clay bottom with LOTS of vegetation this time of year. The bar at the Morro Bay entrance shoals and can be dangerous under certain conditions, call ahead to make certain it's navigable. Cuyler harbor can get really windy, but the holding is excellent. Santa Cruz and Catalina Islands are good places for lay days.

F

farnsworth john

something I forgot

In the "Sights to See" category, you simply MUST stop at Painted Cave on Santa Cruz island. It's the world's largest sea cave, and you can dingy in more than a hundred yards. You'll have to leave someone on board the sailboat during your excursion, because it's impossible to anchor nearby. Take flashlights, because after you go straight back about 120 yards or so, the cave narrows and turns to the right into a grotto, where you'll hear sea lions barking in the dark. Better than any ride you'll find at Disneyland.

Status
Not open for further replies.