Down by the head

May 20, 2015
catalina 30 mk2 Apollo Beach
I have a C-30 for about 4 months. It sits in the water about 4 inches down by the head. I've tried changing the water level in the tanks and keep the fuel tank aft full but very little makes a difference. Catalina says the only serface that should be dependably parallel to the water line is the deck in the center of the salon. Using a level All the flat surfaces in the salon indicate the same as the waterline ( about 1/8 inch per foot, down by the head.

The fore and aft freeboard seem to leave midship where it should be. ???
Any guesses

Oct 5, 2010
Catalina 30 mkII St. Augustine
Do you mean the stem or bow is riding lower in the water than the stern? How much chain do you have in the anchor locker?

Feb 14, 2014
Hunter 430 Waveland, MS
My boat had a slight port side lean, until I found the Admiral had stored 10 cases of can beverages in an empty ports side locker.:eek:

My point is...

It doesn't take much to shift the design water line.

BTW I am sure the C-30 was a balanced design.

I stow everything in my forward Head to make room for people gear.

Does the forward dip still exist under a beam reach, full sail?
Jim...

PS:BTW use at least a 4' level to measure an eighth inch fall. A bullet level on a even 4' board would work too. Don't trust reading the dip with a bubble. Raise the level to get even bubble and measure the gap under the level stick. Then relocate and measure at least 4 times. Take average of all.

May 20, 2015
catalina 30 mk2 Apollo Beach
Do you mean the stem or bow is riding lower in the water than the stern? How much chain do you have in the anchor locker?
Boot topping is at the waterline forward and 4-6 inches above WL at the rudder. I have 20ft of 3/8 on one anchor which I increased form 13 ft of 5/16. The other is a smaller anchor which I have not measured the chain but I expect to be smaller. I'll have a look in there today to make sure nothing unexpected under all that line but the condition is the same anchor on board or anchor on the dock (when I changed the chain).

I have looked in every space that can be seen without making a hole and see no sign I'm holding water up there anyplace I suppose the chain locker could be wet at the bottom but I'll bull all that out today and have a look.

Feb 26, 2008
Catalina 30 Marathon, FL
It's common for Cat 30's to have a bit of "port lean".

It drove me crazy until I posted on one of the sailing sites and found out it was common. Not it just irritates me ;)