Doublehander first to finish in major offshore race

Oct 1, 2007
Boston Whaler Super Sport Pt. Judith
Hmmm. Changing sails aboard a 32 footer in 12 foot seas! Way, way above my pay grade. :)

Nov 8, 2010
Beneteau First 36.7 & 260 Minneapolis MN & Bayfield WI
They played the weather perfectly. The smallest boat in the race puts the big hurt on whole fleet. Look at the lead at the finish.

race.png

May 17, 2004
Beneteau Oceanis 37 Havre de Grace
They played the weather perfectly. The smallest boat in the race puts the big hurt on whole fleet. Look at the lead at the finish.

View attachment 165877
That's not even close. Is the red line their actual track or just an extrapolation? The article seems to suggest that was pretty much it. Clearly they took a great choice of routes.

Nov 8, 2010
That's not even close. Is the red line their actual track or just an extrapolation? The article seems to suggest that was pretty much it. Clearly they took a great choice of routes.
No, that's the rhumb line. They went WAY out to sea to find an expected wind-shift. The hooked up and seeya!

May 1, 2011
Pearson 37 Lusby MD
I was out on Chesapeake Bay on Saturday. Knew the second round had started from Annapolis at 1100. Sure enough, around 1400 or so, I saw a bunch of boats coming south. The lead boat in that pack was cranking 10.2+ kts over the ground according to AIS. The others were showing about 9 kts. It was an awesome sight!

Last edited:
Sep 20, 2014
Rob Legg RL24 Chain O'Lakes
Does it take the wind out of anyone's sails to mention that the favored to win was dismasted?

Nov 8, 2010
Does it take the wind out of anyone's sails to mention that the favored to win was dismasted?
Go win line honors in a 300 mile offshore race sailing double handed. Some bigger boat twice your length breaks their stick. Report to the class if the result feels “lessened”.