Doors

Status
Not open for further replies.

CCHer

Jul 7, 2010
Beneteau 37 Cranes Creek, VA
I completed one of my winter boat projects last week and wanted to share. My old boat had companionway doors and I found the hatchboards to be a real pain for day to day living. I made thise doors from teak planed to about 7/8". They are screwed into the stainless rails with machine screws going into recessed and glued nuts so they can be removed easily if I want to go with the boards. I just need to add a hasp and probably a barrel bolt on the inside.

Attachments

Dec 25, 2008
catalina 310 Elk River
Now that is just Dang Skippy!!
Question, why did you not hing directly to the metal coping?

CCHer

Jul 7, 2010
Beneteau 37 Cranes Creek, VA
Now that is just Dang Skippy!!
Question, why did you not hing directly to the metal coping?
I wanted both to straighten them up a bit so they open at less angle and be a more narrow opening so they don't protrude into the cockpit as much-the opening is still plenty big. The added benefit is that they are easy to remove if I want to use the boards-4 screws on each side. they are rabitted where they join at the hinges and in the middle so water hopefully drains down to the cockpit and not to the cabin.

Dec 25, 2008
catalina 310 Elk River
I wanted both to straighten them up a bit so they open at less angle and be a more narrow opening so they don't protrude into the cockpit as much-the opening is still plenty big. The added benefit is that they are easy to remove if I want to use the boards-4 screws on each side. they are rabitted where they join at the hinges and in the middle so water hopefully drains down to the cockpit and not to the cabin.
That makes sense. I'm thinking on making a set of doors as well, and will consider your design. Thanks for sharing!!!

paulj

Mar 16, 2007
Catalina 310 Anacortes,Wa
CCHer

Top Drawer design..............makes one's mind swirl on how to make your own.

paulj :troll:

Status
Not open for further replies.