Don't you hate it when motor doesn't start?

Ward H

Nov 7, 2011
Catalina 30 Mk II Barnegat, NJ
You work all day getting the boat ready for launch and the last thing on the list is to test start the motor AND IT DOESN'T START!
You spend 20-30 minutes trouble shooting!
You end up staring at the engine panel in vain,

Only to discover you forgot you don't run turn the ignition switch to start, YOU PRESS THE START BUTTON! :facepalm:

JRT

Feb 14, 2017
Catalina 310 211 Lake Guntersville, AL
Glad you are in the water finally! I'm planning Friday and Saturday sails, need to take a work break!

capta

Jun 4, 2009
Pearson 530 Admiralty Bay, Bequia SVG
I spent a whole day working on one of those fancy all mahogany varnished RIVA runabouts for a gentleman and in the end just could not get her to start. I'm a pretty good marine engineer and rarely fail to win when it comes to engines, but this one had me beat.
As I cleaned and buttoned up the boat, I bumped the gear shift and it clicked loudly! All those hours and work and the damn thing wasn't in neutral. Obviously, I couldn't charge the guy a cent, so it was an expensive lesson. However, no vessels I've run since has a working neutral safety switch. It is one of the very first things I discombobulate when taking over a boat.

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
WARD. I gave you a like cause I thought you deserved something. Because I was:laugh:
:redface:And the OMG emoji :eek: was to busy :laugh:.

One of those moments.

Dec 25, 2000
Hunter Passage 42 Shelter Bay, WA
That’s sort of like pressing the ‘auto’ button to engage the autopilot (you thought), but instead pressed the button next to it, ‘standby’, then stepping away, only to find the boat doing a hard over to starboard throwing the skipper onto his keester. How embarrassing. Look before you leap, eh?

Sep 24, 2018
O'Day 25 Chicago
Dont feel bad. I once spent a good 20 minutes troubleshooting before I asked myself, "Why does it smell like gas in here? Ohhhhh I forgot to connect the fuel line!" :banghead:

Jun 21, 2004
Beneteau 343 Slidell, LA
Had that happen years ago, was fishing & my retriever knocked the magnetic safety cord from the ignition on my Suzuki outboard. Spent at least 20 minutes trying to figure out why the outboard starter wouldn’t activate. Was very relieved when I discovered the problem. With late afternoon approaching, the thought of spending the night in a LA marsh was not appealing!

Mar 26, 2011
Corsair F-24 MK I Deale, MD
I've learned that if you forget to open the valves after replacing the filters the engines will run off the carbs just long enough to stall between the jetties (my last boat was a 34-foot cat with twin gas engines). Can you anchor quickly? I did.

• Helpful
Jul 7, 2004
Hunter 30T Cheney, KS
I've learned that if you forget to open the valves after replacing the filters the engines will run off the carbs just long enough to stall between the jetties (my last boat was a 34-foot cat with twin gas engines). Can you anchor quickly? I did.
That was exactly what happened to me last season's launch! I had to scramble to attach the chain to the anchor so I could toss it overboard. Now it makes me think of that scene in Captain Ron.

Jan 19, 2010
Hobie 16 & Rhodes 22 Skeeter Charleston
I once forgot to open the vent on my gas can.... my O.B. gas pump must be a real strong horse because it motored just fine... but the vacuum crushed my gas tank.

Jan 19, 2010
Hobie 16 & Rhodes 22 Skeeter Charleston
That was exactly what happened to me last season's launch! I had to scramble to attach the chain to the anchor so I could toss it overboard. Now it makes me think of that scene in Captain Ron.
I keep an anchor on my stern rail... the rode goes along the gunwale to the bow. I use it all the time and it is quick and easy to deploy. In this picture you can see the anchor sitting in a 4" black PVC pipe. There is 10' of chain in the pipe. the pipe is secured to the stern rail with large hose clamps. There is a weep hole drilled into the cap at the bottom. On the starboard rail, you see my rode. I am using a fishing pole holder as a "cleat". This is my lunch hook set up but I also use it to stop fast when needed. I can drop anchor from a cold start in about 30 ....if I was panicked I think I could do it faster. In my anchor locker I have a second, larger anchor with heavier rode for when I am staying out on the hook in a less than ideal anchorage.

IMG_1675.JPG

Oct 26, 2008
Catalina 320 Barnegat, NJ
You work all day getting the boat ready for launch and the last thing on the list is to test start the motor AND IT DOESN'T START!
You spend 20-30 minutes trouble shooting!
You end up staring at the engine panel in vain,

Only to discover you forgot you don't run turn the ignition switch to start, YOU PRESS THE START BUTTON! :facepalm:
Maybe you were distracted??:cool::cool:

Mar 26, 2011
Corsair F-24 MK I Deale, MD
I keep an anchor on my stern rail... the rode goes along the gunwale to the bow. I use it all the time and it is quick and easy to deploy. In this picture you can see the anchor sitting in a 4" black PVC pipe. There is 10' of chain in the pipe. the pipe is secured to the stern rail with large hose clamps. There is a weep hole drilled into the cap at the bottom. On the starboard rail, you see my rode. I am using a fishing pole holder as a "cleat". This is my lunch hook set up but I also use it to stop fast when needed. I can drop anchor from a cold start in about 30 ....if I was panicked I think I could do it faster. In my anchor locker I have a second, larger anchor with heavier rode for when I am staying out on the hook in a less than ideal anchorage.

View attachment 178299
I've got to say I'm not a fan of a Fortress anchor on the stern rail for emergency stopping.
a. You need to bleed speed first. That is done by shooting into the wind in a safe direction.
b. I love Fortress anchors, but they don't love all bottoms and if the boat is moving or there is strong tide they don't always get down quickly.

I can see how you bimini is am impediment to getting forward quickly. That's too bad, but I can understand it in strong sun areas.