Don't Whistle While you Work

Kermit

Jul 31, 2010
AquaCat 12.5 17342 Wateree Lake, SC
Will,
I’m sorry to hear about your dad. Strokes are scary as all get out. My best to him.

On the other topic at hand, most people believe snowy owls control the lemming population by harvesting them. Just the opposite is true, though. Snowy owls lay more eggs and more chicks fledge during years of higher lemming population. So my take is that lemmings control the snowy owl population.

Jan 1, 2006
Slickcraft 26 Sailfish
Will, I know from your posts the high regard you have for your father. I wish him a speedy recovery. I wish you equanimity for the period of his recovery.

Jan 11, 2014
Sabre 362 113 Fair Haven, NY
Will,
On the other topic at hand, most people believe snowy owls control the lemming population by harvesting them. Just the opposite is true, though. Snowy owls lay more eggs and more chicks fledge during years of higher lemming population. So my take is that lemmings control the snowy owl population.
And thus, you have confirmed correlation does not mean causation.

Oct 19, 2017
O'Day 19 Littleton, NH
most people believe snowy owls control the lemming population by harvesting them. Just the opposite is true, though. Snowy owls lay more eggs and more chicks fledge during years of higher lemming population. So my take is that lemmings control the snowy owl population.
On the other hand, the lemming population and the snowy owl population are both dependent on the grasshopper population which thrives during a cicada season every 5 or 7 years which is a defense against predation by wasps, so who controls the lemming population?
Just a thought.

Thank you all for your kind words about my father. It is greatly appreciated and I'm sorry you have not gotten the chance to know him. He is worth knowing.

-Will (Dragonfly)

Last edited:
May 20, 2016
Catalina 36 MK1 94 Everett, WA
Will, I hope your dad makes a full recovery. I talk to my dad quite often and he helps me in all sorts of way, even tho he past in 91.

One of the important things he always told me is to never piss upwind. Sage advice

jssailem

SBO Weather and Forecasting Forum Jim & John
Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Kermie.
Since it appears you may have missed out on important information
“Now you tell me”​
Perhaps this nugget might also help.
“Hold it with two hands”​
Just in case you hurt you shoulder and need to use your other hand till it gets better.

Of course the instructions came in a Fireman training class but in youth it sometimes applies.

Sep 10, 2012
Hunter 450 Gulfport, Florida
That is why figureheads of women were often topless to some degree. It was also bad luck to have a preacher on board, but that could be just related to the irritation factor!