Don't want to sink my boat!

Feb 20, 2011
Island Packet 35 Tucson, AZ/San Carlos, MX
I've a Perko sea cock that's got a slight leak from the handle when open.
20210528_134533.png What I'd like to do is remove the handle to check the o rings. Sea cock closed, of course.
Anybody know if seawater will start gushing in if I pull the handle and nut underneath it?
Can't seem to find any diagrams of the thing...

Oct 1, 2007
Boston Whaler Super Sport Pt. Judith
I've a Perko sea cock that's got a slight leak from the handle when open.
View attachment 194657 What I'd like to do is remove the handle to check the o rings. Sea cock closed, of course.
Anybody know if seawater will start gushing in if I pull the handle and nut underneath it?
Can't seem to find any diagrams of the thing...

Feb 20, 2011
@Rick486 , did you mean to write something, or were you alerting me of replies?
Don's reply has calmed me somewhat, but any and all info is welcome.

Last edited:
Jan 11, 2014
Sabre 362 113 Fair Haven, NY
Have you contacted Perko? They would be the authoratative voice on this issue.

I had a leak on a Groco ball valve seacock, when I inquired about rebuilding it and replacing worn out parts, they said it couldn't be done with damaging the valve.

A Perko valve may or may not have the same limitations.

Oct 1, 2007
Boston Whaler Super Sport Pt. Judith
@Rick486 , did you mean to write something, or were you alerting me of replies?
Don's reply has calmed me somewhat, but any and all info is welcome.
Sorry jSG. Had a glass in my hand.
I meant to say if there are o-rings, they must be there to prevent leaking. Ergo, removing them will allow some leaking.
N'est pas?

Nov 6, 2006
Hunter 34 Mandeville Louisiana
As the ball is rotating, the valve body is open because the ball opening is bypassing its seal.. which allows water freely into the body and the stem packing has to hold back pressure. in the fully open or fully closed positions, leakage out of the stem would be minimized.. You'd not gave a boat-sinking gusher but you may have enough leakage to make replacing the packing/o-rings difficult.. You could minimize by fully closing the valve to the positive stop then opening the grease plug to let leakage out there instead of the stem packing. Kinda dodgy without knowing the configuration of the valve internals, but fully closing the valve then removing the grease plug would give you an idea of how much leakage and you'd be able to put the plug back in if it was a bunch.. about a pucker factor of 4 on a 10 scale. :yikes:

Feb 14, 2014
Hunter 430 Waveland, MS
This might help you see the parts that are leaking.

bv-series.png

No. Been to their website and they offer a rebuild kit, but very little on specifics wrt my issue.
My guess Part #9.

Not a problem. The handle only turns the ball. The ball is what blocks the flow.
True and maybe not the issue.
But the source of the water has to come by that ball seat.
Not a "sink the boat" type flooding.

Jim...

PS: Note the phone number for Service Calls at bottom of Picture.

Feb 14, 2014
Hunter 430 Waveland, MS
Very helpful! My google-fu is weak. Muchos gracias!
Por Nada.:biggrin:

Not from current web searching.:badbad:

I got most all Sea Cock's information, Drawings, Repair Kits and this specific Groco info, when I was deciding the best design and service a few years ago.

I am replacing all of my seacocks soon, and will share in SBO the final decision and reasons for my Engineering/Boater pick.

Yes I am looking at Marelon

But I am not liking the lubrication maintenance required.
Jim...

Feb 20, 2011
Well, thanks all. Success was had in stanching the drips. Seems that part number 11, a sort of packing nut, was rotating along with the handle.
Screenshot_20210529-123835.png

It would slowly unscrew as the handle rotated.
It's been sparingly greased and tightened to where the dripping has quit and will keep an eye on the rotation.
It's always something...

Feb 14, 2014
Hunter 430 Waveland, MS
Think they'd care if it's a Perko?
I saw Perko, but got side tracked [ no coffee] to Groco :facepalm:

But as you noted Part #11, most of these types of SeaCocks are built the same.

Read the Groco Maintenance section for why lubrication needed.
Jim...