Don't fight the Power

Oct 2, 2008
Pearson/ 530 Strafford, NH
You guys are interesting as always. My wife just said the last box of Girl Scout cookies disappeared in the Bermuda Triangle.

Jan 19, 2010
Catalina 34 Casco Bay
I've seen plenty of under the floor gensets, mainly on Hunters, and I can't imagine the headache that maintenance is. I intentionally bought a boat with an honest walk in engine room with 360 degree access to both the main engine and the gen set, never mind the A/C units, refrigeration, watermaker, etc., because I knew that if maintenance on my mechanical systems was a pain, it wouldn't get done as frequently as it should. Tearing apart the boat or reaching down into the bilge with one's fingertips to change the oil and filters is not conducive to regular maintenance.
If you are operating in salt water, anything in the bilge has a very limited life span, including a 10k+ genset. Should you ever have a serious amount of water in the bilge, say from a broken hose, you can kiss that genset goodbye. I hope you plan on carrying very good insurance.
When you stop and think about it, that gen set should really be easy to work on.. Sure it would be on mounts, but that's it. There would be to tranny/prop shaft to deal with. So again, IF I were KING... That unit would be located directly under the overhead hatch. If necessary, the vang could be used to lift it up for full access service....

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
I assume if there is enough beer then the crew will not mind sitting backwards and peddling.

But I conjecture that the system would produce diminishing returns. While being fueled the crew would become increasingly inebriated. Their pace would slow. On a positive note the boat would become lighter as the beer was consumed and then discharged overboard. Should this process occur while the peddlers are in their power position it could weaken the machinery as spent beer can be corrosive. It might become difficult to get inebriated crew back on the boat and fresh replacements might balk at climbing into the vacated power position.

I better stop there and not discuss the complicated decision do we turn the boat and try to recover spent inebriated power crew or toss them like consumed batteries.

I’m not yet convinced that this is a workable and reliable beer power system. Cheers.:beer: Maybe some testing will help. After all it could just be the beer talking.

Sep 22, 2018
Hunter 216 Kingston
I assume if there is enough beer then the crew will not mind sitting backwards and peddling.

But I conjecture that the system would produce diminishing returns. While being fueled the crew would become increasingly inebriated. Their pace would slow. On a positive note the boat would become lighter as the beer was consumed and then discharged overboard. Should this process occur while the peddlers are in their power position it could weaken the machinery as spent beer can be corrosive. It might become difficult to get inebriated crew back on the boat and fresh replacements might balk at climbing into the vacated power position.

I better stop there and not discuss the complicated decision do we turn the boat and try to recover spent inebriated power crew or toss them like consumed batteries.

I’m not yet convinced that this is a workable and reliable beer power system. Cheers.:beer: Maybe some testing will help. After all it could just be the beer talking.
Just to point out you neglected to mention the added weight of the safety gear for the “paddlers”. Scuba tanks and related gear for following sea, 4 point safety harness and crash helmets, full body chain mail suits for shark attack ;)

Sep 22, 2018
Hunter 216 Kingston
Phil, I want to change my vote. I never could dock worth a damn, this will solve that:
That is really interesting, especially the "generator" capability. Capturing the energy of the wind-sails while underway to recharge the battery. Yes there is likely some reduction in speed from drag but it makes a sense. The power generated this way might reduce the volume of solar panels and their associated windage so maybe it's a wash as far as drag is concerned???

I also didn't know that Yanmar had a "pod" solution until I went googling about ZF.

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Now if you could add the structure and weight to lift the motor out of the water when sailing, and the batteries or fuel cells that are weightless and exceptionally powerful, you would could be styling.

Sep 22, 2018
Hunter 216 Kingston
@TomY
Appears that Torqeedo has implemented BMW’s battery tech in their solution. I like the idea of all of the integrated safety.

TomY

Alden Forum Moderator
Jun 22, 2004
Alden 38' Challenger yawl Rockport Harbor
That is really interesting, especially the "generator" capability. Capturing the energy of the wind-sails while underway to recharge the battery. Yes there is likely some reduction in speed from drag but it makes a sense. The power generated this way might reduce the volume of solar panels and their associated windage so maybe it's a wash as far as drag is concerned???

That's what caught my eye. You need quite a bit of solar panel acreage to get a lot out of freedom with EP. Some boats (like mine) aren't good candidates.

Windpower (whether talking sails or spinning blades), in general is flukey. There are times you have too little. But there's likely an equal amount of time you have too much(and you're at hull speed anyway).

At least that's been the case in my sailing and during those spells of an abundance of wind power, I'd be more than happy to use a half knot or even more, to produce some power.

My main energy MO is conservation. A water re-generation system like this would work nicely with a conservation approach.

Looked as though these units are designed for big boats now, but this stuff is evolving rapidly.

Sep 22, 2018
Hunter 216 Kingston
Some boats (like mine) aren't good candidates.
Yes, sticking a bunch of solar panels on a classic boat like yours would be the equivalent of sticking dragster foils, rims and fat tires on a classic Bentley. Just because you can do something doesn’t mean you should!! ;)

Last edited:

dLj

Mar 23, 2017
Belliure 41 Sailing back to the Chesapeake
I concur with @TomY with the wind power not being quite there. I also hate the noise. Using hydro has always been interesting. I have no experience with that at all so am all ears on that subject... Have to say, that ZF drive looks pretty amazing.

dj

TomY

Alden Forum Moderator
Jun 22, 2004
Alden 38' Challenger yawl Rockport Harbor
Yes, sticking a bunch of solar panels on a classic boat like yours would be the equivalent of sticking dragster foils, rims and fat tires on a classic Bentley. Just because you can do something doesn’t mean you should!! ;)
Unless you have a permanent bimini or similar, the needed space for panels is usually hanging off the stern, above davits or other applications. A yawl wasn't designed with solar panels in mind. Mizzen standing rigging extends forward of the mizzen mast cutting panel area around the cockpit.

I've got a few square feet on the house which is used regularly for sail handling.