Donations to Neptune:

Kermit

Jul 31, 2010
AquaCat 12.5 17342 Wateree Lake, SC
Oh, I also lost a VERY expensive pair of trifocals. My wife had to drive us home. (That pesky little restriction on my license about corrective lenses is pretty accurate.)

Jun 4, 2004
Hunter 31 and 25 and fomerly 23.5 Stockton State Park Marina; MO
Oh, I also lost a VERY expensive pair of trifocals. My wife had to drive us home. (That pesky little restriction on my license about corrective lenses is pretty accurate.)
Not a boating thing but I lost a pair of progressives in the surf at Myrtle Beach. On a whim, the next day I asked the lifeguard if any spectacles had been found. Sure enough they had been washed in with the flood tide, but we're very clouded up after a night in the surf.
Dennis

Sep 30, 2013
1988 Catalina 22 North Florida
My worst was a big silver chain-link bracelet that belonged to my dad. My mom bought it for him, on a motorcycle trip they took through central America before I was born.

No deck bounce, no chance. The clasp just suddenly popped without warning and I watched it fall straight into the drink in slow-mo. Mucky bottom, cloudy water, bad weather ... no chance of recovery whatsoever. My only consolation is that Dad was a sailor, and would approve of circumstances under which it was lost.

Kermit

Jul 31, 2010
My worst was a big silver chain-link bracelet that belonged to my dad. My mom bought it for him, on a motorcycle trip they took through central America before I was born.

No deck bounce, no chance. The clasp just suddenly popped without warning and I watched it fall straight into the drink in slow-mo. Mucky bottom, cloudy water, bad weather ... no chance of recovery whatsoever. My only consolation is that Dad was a sailor, and would approve of circumstances under which it was lost.
I gave you a like only because there's no "I'm-so-sorry-for-your-loss" button. I'd rather lose everything I listed a second time than lose a treasure like that.

pateco

Aug 12, 2014
Hunter 31 (1983) Pompano Beach FL
If I add Dive equipment, I have lost to Neptune:

One Dive watch
Multiple spear shafts.
A whole mesh bag of live lobster. (lost on the way back to the boat).
Multiple Fins,
Several Masks
lots of dive gloves
several tickle sticks
Dive computer, cracked lens and flooded at 125'
Underwater digital camera.

While diving I have also randomly recovered from Neptune:

Wrist mounted Dive computer still functional showing 3 days bottom time
multiple spear shafts
Weight belts
Fishing rods
snorkels
50 cal ammunition
several anchors
a bottle of cheap wine

Nov 9, 2012
Oday 192 Lake Nockamixon

I gave you a like because your Dad would have approved of the circumstances...

Nov 30, 2015
Hunter 1978 H30 Cherubini, Treman Marina, Ithaca, NY
Oh my, this thread is some fun stuff.

Let's see -

1) Two identical black diamond headlamps sling-shot off my baseball cap, one was mine, the other was the admirals. All within a 15 minute time span.
2) Three highly coveted baseball caps on three different boats.
3) The drain plug from the dinghy during a bareboat charter in the BVI.
4) Two pairs of flip flops.
5) One throw pillow.
6) One full garbage bag...felt really bad about that. I thought it was lashed properly to the transom.
7) One boat hook.

That's pretty much it!

Oct 1, 2007
Boston Whaler Super Sport Pt. Judith
If I add Dive equipment, I have lost to Neptune:

One Dive watch
Multiple spear shafts.
A whole mesh bag of live lobster. (lost on the way back to the boat).
Multiple Fins,
Several Masks
lots of dive gloves
several tickle sticks
Dive computer, cracked lens and flooded at 125'
Underwater digital camera.

While diving I have also randomly recovered from Neptune:

Wrist mounted Dive computer still functional showing 3 days bottom time
multiple spear shafts
Weight belts
Fishing rods
snorkels
50 cal ammunition
several anchors
a bottle of cheap wine
50 Cal ammunition? PCF in the Delta back in the day?

Nov 30, 2015
You'd think after that Neptune would realize this donation thing isn't all it's cracked up to be, and relent.
Yeah, a regret I will not easily forget, and I have already apologized to Neptune! The 13 gallon white bag and contents dropped off the sugar scoop of the Bene Oceanis 50.4, somewhere in the path between Anegada and Beef Island on Tortola when the gusts kicked up. It was lashed by a female crew using a bungee cord, but perhaps a little too high on the bag. I should've checked. Regardless, we never looked back until it was missing. Mostly empty Caribe and ginger beer cans, perhaps a rum bottle or two, all from the previous evening. Somebody may have picked it up thinking it was a mooring ball wherever it landed.

Last edited:
Aug 15, 2012
Precision 21 Newburyport MA
The worse thing that went overboard for me was the safety clip for the my 88 Johnson sail master outboard. It was at the start of a two week vacation on the Long Island Sound and we were launching on the Connecticut River when it when overboard. Sent my son in to find it with no luck. Tried jury rigging it to get started with cable ties with no luck. My wife came back from the local marina with a clip but by then it was flooded and couldn't get it started. We had to pull the boat and my wife demanded I get a more reliable engine. Just so happened Defender Marine was one town away and they were having a sale. I picked up a new Honda 5hp. Maybe it wasn't so bad loosing that clip.

Kermit

Jul 31, 2010
Yeah, a regret I will not easily forget, and I have already apologized to Neptune! The 13 gallon white bag and contents dropped off the sugar scoop of the Bene Oceanis 50.4, somewhere in the path between Anegada and Beef Island on Tortola when the gusts kicked up. It was lashed by a female crew using a bungee cord, but perhaps a little too high on the bag. I should've checked. Regardless, we never looked back until it was missing. Mostly empty Caribe and ginger beer cans, perhaps a rum bottle or two, all from the previous evening. Somebody may have picked it up thinking it was a mooring ball wherever it landed.
You just proved my point. Women should NEVER tie boat knots! I'm pretty sure @flynhi4u will agree.

Nov 30, 2015
I've made the mistake of having ginger beer. I wouldn't wish that punishment on Neptune even after he made off with my iPhone. :puke:
Now that's funny, I don't care who you are. I can't stand the stuff, I'm responsible only for the Caribe cans.

Aug 3, 2012
Performance Cruising Telstar 28 302 Watkins Glen
Oh crap... I gotta confess! ... 35 pound Kensington Plow anchor... it rolled off the foredeck, hung up on a spring line while I grabbed hopelessly for it, and then it plunged into 12 ft of water. I pulled it out to attach it to the shackle. I snorkeled for it 2 hours later, and it was gone! I think it went into several feet of mud. I plan to swim for it. This time, I will probe the mud for it to locate it.

Thank you for this cathartic moment. i am purified.

Feb 21, 2008
Hunter 33 Metedeconk River
iPad mini while trying to sync it with the Raymarine MFD chart plotter. Slid off from along side the
companionway, one bounce on the side deck and thru the safety lines without touching them.
A 9.5 from the NoKo judge. Happened about a year ago now and you guys know before the Admiral.