Don your jibcap

Jul 7, 2004
Hunter 30T Cheney, KS
I avoid gimmicks as much as possible. This looks like another one, listed in the Sail magazine Gear section. It's a protective jacket for your headsail's webbing loop/ ring lashing. If I hadn't already had to have my sail repaired due to UV damage right there I'd call :poop: . And I take my sails down after every season.

I think I may order one. Anyone else tried it? JibCap Home
000_000324472.jpeg

Jan 11, 2014
Sabre 362 113 Fair Haven, NY
Interesting idea and not that expensive, might be worth a try. Tell us how it works out.

Jul 7, 2004
Hunter 30T Cheney, KS
Interesting idea and not that expensive, might be worth a try. Tell us how it works out.
.I will Dave. It won't look dorky on my navy blue sacrificial edge. I know it would block UV. I only wonder if it will interfere with furling. I just got mine working properly. I plan to share pics of my "repair". Actually I just got it set up like Hood recommends in the manual.

Aug 21, 2017
Sunfish Thistle NY
That JibCap seems like a solution looking for a problem. Any idea what it will cost? I would imagine that a can of UV fabric protector would be effective and it wouldn't look dorky. You can also spray the webbing at the tack with the same UV protector.

capta

Jun 4, 2009
Pearson 530 Admiralty Bay, Bequia SVG
We lost our webbing hoist loop after 8 years of hard inter island sailing. It only took me a couple of hours to repair it.
I wonder how many of these caps one would go through in 8 years?

PaulK

Dec 1, 2009
Sabre 402 Southport, CT
Sort of the same opinion as Capta. That section of a sail is pretty hefty - designed to hold up for as long - if not longer - than the sail itself. The sail is going to be blown out and dead, delaminated or having the stitches break or chafe through well before the webbing loop chafes or succumbs to any UV or weather exposure. Pointless expense and extra work besides looking ridiculous. Reminds me of the mini-windage radar reflectors that people mount on their shrouds, and which don’t work unless the boat is heeled at exactly x.000 degrees when the beam hits them. Worthless. You can get a sweater for your dog, too, for when it gets cold.

Mar 26, 2011
Corsair F-24 MK I Deale, MD
Paint. I've done a number of articles for Practical Sailor on specific paints that block UV completely and last. In fact, the UV strip on my jib is now paint, and it's going into it's third season with no chips or wear. No bulk, no weight, easy.

RTW boats paint sails. You just need the right paint.

Jul 7, 2004
Hunter 30T Cheney, KS
Paint. I've done a number of articles for Practical Sailor on specific paints that block UV completely and last. In fact, the UV strip on my jib is now paint, and it's going into it's third season with no chips or wear. No bulk, no weight, easy.

RTW boats paint sails. You just need the right paint.
I saw that in the January '20 issue.