Dometic AC needs capacitor

kbgunn

Sep 19, 2017
2005 Hunter 33 Lake Lewisville, TX
Thanks for the great feedback. I called Dometic support and they are great. No complaints about them and I consider them better than most.
They walked me through troubleshooting. They had me wire the compressor directly to the input power and briefly close the breaker. The compressor runs in this temporary configuration so I'm confident the rotor is not locked on the compressor.

They stopped short of helping diagnose board level components and let me know how to locate a drop-in replacement for the control board with list price $400.

Being reasonably handy with a soldering iron, I was going to try replacing or bridge the the bad replay with a new one. Next hurdle is the PN on the relay HD1-005D-A40PCSN isn't returning much in the Google bar.

Jun 21, 2004
Beneteau 343 Slidell, LA
Have you removed the board from its mount and had a look at the back side? Often when components go bad you will be able to see evidence of their failure on the back of the circuit board. - burn marks, cracked, melted or failed solder, missing component pins etc.
All of that being said if it is a single relay that has failed they can usually be fairly easily replaced.
That's how i determined that my relay was problematic. Because the relay was mounted on a small independent board that had jumpers connecting to the main board, I took a chance for ($50) and replaced it. Got lucky and problem solved.

kbgunn

Sep 19, 2017
I have a working board removed from my 2011 Hunter 50. It was a Marvair 16,000. PM me if your interested.
Thanks for the offer, but I have a Marine Air VTD16K with the Passport I/O. I don't think they are compatible.

kbgunn

Sep 19, 2017
This issue is closed. AC compressor is running again. I wired a new relay for the compressor and now she cools like she used to. For future readers here's the steps I went through:
  • The t-stat, fan and cooling water functioned normally, the compressor did not run when the t-stat called for cooling.
  • I first suspected the run capacitor since these fail frequently on the home AC unit.
  • I check the capacitor with a meter and it was within specs.
  • I called Dometic and they walked me through temporarily connecting the compressor to input voltage to verify it runs. It did. Dometic recommended replacing the control board. New part was $300-$400.
  • I inspected the back of the board and found the relay which had lost it's magic smoke that makes it work. (see pic below)
  • I search for a direct replacement using the P/N on the relay (HD1-005D-A40PCSN) and found none. No datasheet found either.
  • I found a cross reference guide but there was only a 30A on the list: relay cross reference guide
  • Cross reference led me to a P/N for a 5v DC control voltage with 36A current contacts: T9AS1D22-5 Found a source on Mouser website. $15 with shipping and tax
  • Used meter to find the 5v DC control pins on the control board. Verified it was compressor by sequence of startup Fan->cooling water pump->compressor
  • Soldered jumpers to control voltage pins and the relay control. Polarity didn't matter for the relay.
  • Made jumper wires for 120v side with male and female spade connectors on opposite ends.
  • Female spade connected to the relay. One male u-spade connector connected to input L1 the other connected to Comp L1.
  • Ran compressor for 45 mins to make sure no over heating of wiring or relay.
Hope this helps someone.

IMG_1017.JPG

IMG_1018.JPG

IMG_1012.JPG

Mar 6, 2008
Catalina 1999 C36 MKII #1787 Coyote Point Marina, CA.
Thanks for sharing your knowledge and experience on this $15.00 fix.