Dolphin 24 question

SFS

Aug 18, 2015
Currently Boatless Okinawa
I'm helping the new owner of a Dolphin 24 move her boat next week to its new home. This is a boat designed by Sparkman and Stephens (actually Olie Stephens) in 1959, at the request of George O'Day. I haven't seen the boat yet, so I don't have a hull number, and don't know if the boat was built by one of the earliest builders, or Yankee, or O'Day, but there were about 270 of them built.

I have never been on a boat with a retractable centerboard. This one is likely in the up position (I hope), and I don't want to get involved in exercising it. So my question:

Is this boat stable with the centerboard up completely? We are only going 4 nm, and it is the GICW, so we will be motoring. I do not intend to sail (unless the outboard fails).

SFS

Aug 18, 2015
Currently Boatless Okinawa
Update: The boat handled fine with the board up. We couldn't get the outboard to run for more than about a minute, and we've had no wind for two days (famine ahead of feast I guess) so I couldn't sail it. A generous samaritan towed us the 3 miles to the boat's new home. Her slip is a little way into a creek, so I think the boat will fare ok in the storm.

Jan 4, 2013
Catalina 270 Rochester, NY
Only need the center board for pointing up wind. I owned a Yankee Dolphin for 30 years. It's a tender boat but it won't roll on you.