Does your club have a designated drink?

Jul 7, 2004
Hunter 30T Cheney, KS
Saw this Scuttlebutt article on the web. Many yacht clubs have a designated drink. There's a list of clubs here. Most drinks I've never heard of, but I'm a beer guy. Does your yacht club have a designated drink? We are not listed. Decades ago we had to change from Ninnescah Yacht Club to Ninnescah Sailing Association to appease the powers that be

Feb 21, 2013
Hunter 46 Point Richmond, CA
..........Does your yacht club have a designated drink? We are not listed..............
No............thanks for sharing!! I passed on this article to our yacht club commodore. I see the St Francis and South Beach in the San Francisco Bay each have one.

Mar 26, 2011
Corsair F-24 MK I Deale, MD
Sounds more like an adolescent frat thing than and adult thing.

Oh yeah. Yacht club.

Aug 2, 2005
Pearson 33-2 & Typhoon 18 Seneca Lake
Well, I'll be jiggered! I was very surprised when I read the entries here. I thought the original question was: Does your yacht club have a designated dink! Such as having one for use by members who have a boat on a mooring. Ok, I'll be quiet now while I clean my glasses.

• Ha
Jan 7, 2011
Oday 322 East Chicago, IN
Saw this Scuttlebutt article on the web. Many yacht clubs have a designated drink. There's a list of clubs here. Most drinks I've never heard of, but I'm a beer guy. Does your yacht club have a designated drink? We are not listed. Decades ago we had to change from Ninnescah Yacht Club to Ninnescah Sailing Association to appease the powers that be

They need to publish the recipes for those libations!

I know what a Dark and Stormy is, but not familiar with a lot of those

Greg

Jul 7, 2004
Hunter 30T Cheney, KS

I know what a Dark and Stormy is, but not familiar with a lot of those

Greg
One of the boats in our club is named Dark and Stormy. It has had 3 owners since I've been there. Maybe it needs a new name/drink.:wink:

DArcy

Feb 11, 2017
Islander Freeport 36 Ottawa
Most drinks I've never heard of, but I'm a beer guy.
Good news, you can go to Ocean Beach Yacht Club in San Diego and order the special, you'll get a 12 pack of Natural Light :beer:

Three Clubs with Dark and Stormy, and three with Planters Punch. No surprise there are a lot of rum drinks.

Nov 8, 2010
Beneteau First 36.7 & 260 Minneapolis MN & Bayfield WI
Here's the recipe (and backstory) to the WYC entry:

About 10 years ago two nationally known WYC sailors (I'll leave out the names to protect the guilty) were sitting at what was the local watering hole (Sunsets or 'Sunnys' in Wayzata) when they decided to invent' a sailing drink to enter in Mt Gay competition a company rep told them about. So they ordered a Mt Guy and Arnold Palmer lemonade/tea on ice, and the Gay Palmer was born. And super tasty. But then they figured it needed to be named after a sailor, so they renamed it after their friend and icon, Buddy Melges. Hence, the Gay Buddy. The drink was on the drink board at Sunnys until the place was bought and converted upscale (like 99% of Wayzata) into a very nice place called CoV. The drink lives on.

True story.

Jan 1, 2006
Slickcraft 26 Sailfish
How about a Cloudy and Rainy? That would be Ginger Ale and Mt. Gay. Awwwk! Putting soda in a perfectly good glass or rum.
Shout out to Wayzata for mention in Sail regarding community sailing.