Does this sound like I have a serious problem?

Nov 26, 2012
Hunter 34 Berkeley
I don’t think you will be able to use that trailer with a merit 22. A 22 ft sailboat is much heavier than a 17 ft power boat and it has a keel. I am going to have go all reality on you and say that you should sell the trailer. I admire the enthusiasm, though.

RussC

Sep 11, 2015
Merit 22- Oregon lakes
I don’t think you will be able to use that trailer with a merit 22. A 22 ft sailboat is much heavier than a 17 ft power boat and it has a keel. I am going to have go all reality on you and say that you should sell the trailer. I admire the enthusiasm, though.
Oh yeeee of little faith! :beer::)

Last edited:

Jim26m

Apr 3, 2019
Macgregor 26M Mobile AL
The merit 22 isn't terribly heavy unless sailboatdata is wrong. Show me a guy with a welder that knows how to use it, and I'm gonna bet on him every time. I come from a long line of folks that made stuff they needed out of stuff they had; and/or what they could scrounge. This actually looks like a pretty manageable project - based on skill set, boat weight, and trailer capacity.

Aug 3, 2012
Performance Cruising Telstar 28 302 Watkins Glen
It will be interesting to see what you find out. I would take lots of measurements in order to modify the trailer.

RussC

Sep 11, 2015
Merit 22- Oregon lakes
Well that was a bit disappointing. just back from a 10 hour trip to look at the boat. Isn't it amazing how good one can make a boat appear in photographs? ;) . No need to go into details, but the trailer actually turned out to be one of the better aspects:doh:. sails and cushions had been inside the boat for at least a year or two. damp and very musty. virtually all hardware and rigging needed replacing or repairing, etc etc. not to mention the whitewashed hull...... oh well, no regrets. it was good to see a real live Merit 22 in the wild where I could crawl around it inside and out, talk dirty to it, etc. ;). just not sure why people think if they say something is gold it will somehow become gold to a potential buyer. [shrug].
Moving on to bigger and better things with a smile :):beer::beer::beer:

Jim26m

Apr 3, 2019
Macgregor 26M Mobile AL
Sorry man! That's a shame. But, you have a good trailer to flip or modify for your next acquisition.

Out of curiosity, what was the asking price?

RussC

Sep 11, 2015
Merit 22- Oregon lakes
Sorry man! That's a shame. But, you have a good trailer to flip or modify for your next acquisition.

Out of curiosity, what was the asking price?
He was asking 1800 in the ad, but in our discussions I told him it looked more like a 1K to 1.2K boat. he sounded like he would take 1.2 but after seeing the boat in person I wouldn't even pay half that, so I didn't insult him with any offer at all.
I'm fine with leaving it behind. the right one will come along one of these days.
As an aside: we drove by Wiskytown reservoir wile we were in the area. I'd never seen it before. man what a devastated area now, after the Camp fire. such a shame as it looks like it must have been a beautiful area before the fire. :(