Does this sound like I have a serious problem?

RussC

Sep 11, 2015
Merit 22- Oregon lakes
I've been chatting with a guy about purchasing his sailboat for a couple weeks now. although he sailed it last year, it does need some work. one of the major issues is that it's a 22' sailboat currently sitting on a converted tilt power boat trailer. maybe it's re-constructed strong enough, I don't know, but I'd still have a hard time being seen towing that crusty old thing.
Wile I've been considering the boat purchase, I was looking at used trailers that might be better suited to the task and came across this one. It originally had an 89' Glastron 17' power boat on it which didn't get serviced last winter and cracked the engine block. the guy scrapped what he could off the boat and literally took the rest to the dump. he said "so I don't have any use for the trailer". he had it on CL for 450 so after hearing the story I offered him 300 and he accepted. almost full tread 6 ply tires, bearing buddies, almost zero rust (spots of minor surface rust) but....... no trailer title. the boat on it was light enough that Oregon didn't require registration and the title was lost. I spent the day at the local DMV and have a title in the works for about 200.00. so for $500 I have a really nice trailer but haven't yet purchased the boat to put on it.
So do I have a problem? is it normal to buy a trailer before you buy a boat? should I seek help? :confused::laugh:
P1070072.jpg

Last edited:
Dec 27, 2012
Precision Precision 28 St Augustine
Some years back I bought a 22 Oday that was in MD, I’m in NJ. I needed a trailer so I bought a power boat trailer in NJ. I bought larger, 10 inch extensions to raise the rollers. I also made a cross support to support the keel. All of my changes to the trailer where without having the boat present. I used my best judgement from reviewing photographs and some available specs for the boat. The day came to get the boat. I drove to MD with the trailer. The boat fit the trailer perfectly. I got lucky on that one.

Jim26m

Apr 3, 2019
Macgregor 26M Mobile AL
Can't quite follow your logic. You are looking at a 22ft sailboat with a bad trailer. So... you bought a good trailer for a 17 ft powerboat. Did you measure the boat or original trailer to see how much modification the glastron trailer will require?

If you can weld, have a pile of scrap steel, and your 22 ft sailboat isn't any heavier than the glastron, you are golden.

Otherwise, you have a nice trailer you can probably sell.

So, you're fine either way. I've done a lot crazier stuff. Welcome to the boat owners looney bin!

Sep 24, 2018
O'Day 25 Chicago
It might be easier to sand and repaint the old trailer than try to outfit the new one. There are paints out there that are made to put over rusted metal

RussC

Sep 11, 2015
Merit 22- Oregon lakes
No, I don't see that you have a problem. What I see is that you now have a good reason to go out and buy another boat.
I just spoke with the current owner of the boat I mentioned, and it looks like we're headed south Sunday morning to see if we can negotiate a deal on it :biggrin:. If it doesn't work out I'll have a really nice trailer, with clean title, up for sale.
BTW: @Jim26m yes I do have a good Miller mig welder and know how to use it ;) . the trailer I just bought is rated for 3000 lb and a should be a perfect candidate, size wise, for the boat in question.

Jan 19, 2010
Hobie 16 & Rhodes 22 Skeeter Charleston
Not really relevant to your question but..which 22' sailboat are you thinking of buying? :yeah:

Oct 19, 2017
O'Day 19 Littleton, NH
Bring ca$h and get a good price!
Bring less cash than you think you'll need, to get a good price.

If the sale falls through, modify the trailer to fit a C22. Someone seems to always be looking for a trailer for one of those.

-Will (Dragonfly)

Jun 8, 2004
-na -NA Anywhere USA
Look st the trailer provided for the Catalina 22 Sport might give you some ideas as to a set up if a swing keel boat. Make sure of load range of tires

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
@RussC your fellow sailors here have provided excellent support in addressing your interest in buying this new boat opportunity. But your question cleverly disguised the issues that may more really be at play.

You did not share with them the fleet of trailer boats you already have parked about your property. All of which provide you with great sailing experiences.

I do not believe you have a problem, unless that lovely lady I saw you sailing with in the pictures last year is starting to question the gathering of sailboats around your mountain home in the woods of Oregon.

Practically speaking acquiring a trailer before the boat makes sense. It enables you, to stop along the way to your sales meet and pick up that other stray sitting in the grass on the side of the rode that catches your eye “Free to a good home”.

RussC

Sep 11, 2015
Merit 22- Oregon lakes
@RussC your fellow sailors here have provided excellent support in addressing your interest in buying this new boat opportunity. But your question cleverly disguised the issues that may more really be at play.

You did not share with them the fleet of trailer boats you already have parked about your property. All of which provide you with great sailing experiences.

I do not believe you have a problem, unless that lovely lady I saw you sailing with in the pictures last year is starting to question the gathering of sailboats around your mountain home in the woods of Oregon.

Practically speaking acquiring a trailer before the boat makes sense. It enables you, to stop along the way to your sales meet and pick up that other stray sitting in the grass on the side of the rode that catches your eye “Free to a good home”.
Ohhhhh but John, I've come a long ways in my rehabilitation since those days. believe it or not I only have ONE sailboat sitting on the property at this time, the tried and true Mac 25. I sold # two, the V-17 (Aye pod), about a month ago (well... ok I'll admit I did replace it with a small power boat right after that ;)). maybe that's the root of the problem..... it's a sailboat withdrawal issue for me :hook2:.

Naaaa. I honestly don't know of any boat that I desire other than the Mac 25 which we already own and love, and the Merit 22, which we're going to look at tomorrow. I've been looking for a 22 for a couple years, as they seem to push most all of my buttons. on paper anyway. PHRF of 213, lifting keel for trailer-ability and performance, decent size accomodations for multi day trips, sexy looks (most important ;) ), etc. never know until we try. :biggrin:

Last edited:
Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Love the “true Confessions” Russ. As a therapist might say... It is not an addiction acquired in a day nor concurred in a week...

Fortunately it is one you appear to have a handle on and are thriving. That in my book is wonderful.

You still have an offer to sail on Puget Sound waters should you venture north from your Southern Oregon sanctuary... Who knows maybe you’ll get the bug I caught when I took my trailer sailer out on the waters of the Sound and heard the sirens call.

RussC

Sep 11, 2015
Merit 22- Oregon lakes
Love the “true Confessions” Russ. As a therapist might say... It is not an addiction acquired in a day nor concurred in a week...

Fortunately it is one you appear to have a handle on and are thriving. That in my book is wonderful.

You still have an offer to sail on Puget Sound waters should you venture north from your Southern Oregon sanctuary... Who knows maybe you’ll get the bug I caught when I took my trailer sailer out on the waters of the Sound and heard the sirens call.
I learned long ago to never say never, so who knows? ;)