Does this make ANY sense?

Jan 7, 2011
Oday 322 East Chicago, IN
My battery charger is wired into a breaker on my power panel (as most are). I was thinking that I could instead wire an outlet into that breaker outlet near the charger), and wire a plug on charger power cord.

That way,
When I am at the dock and on shore power, I just have the charger plugged into the A/C outlet dedicated to the charger.
When on the hook, I could plug the charger cord into a small generator.
When on the hard, I could run an extension cord to the boat and plug the charger into the extension cord.

Greg

May 17, 2004
Beneteau Oceanis 37 Havre de Grace
A simpler way is with a 15 amp male to 30 amp female adapter and just plug into the shore power inlet. Marinco makes one as do other companies. I've used that system for years with no problems.
:plus:
Works for me when I charge on the hard once or twice per winter.

Jan 7, 2011
That sure would work. I think I found something similar on the boat, but I don’t recall that it had the male 15amp end.

I will have another look!

Thanks for the guidance.

Greg

capta

Jun 4, 2009
Pearson 530 Admiralty Bay, Bequia SVG
Don't you have a shore power connection? If so, why wouldn't you want the panel powered up instead of only the one unit? Then you could just turn off any circuits you don't want powered when you are plugged in, and use those you do. I don't understand why you'd want to do that.
Breaking any electrical circuit and adding something like an outlet is just adding more possible places for corrosion and poor connections to cause problems.

Nov 13, 2013
Catalina 34 Tacoma
My battery charger is wired into a breaker on my power panel (as most are). I was thinking that I could instead wire an outlet into that breaker outlet near the charger), and wire a plug on charger power cord.

That way,
When I am at the dock and on shore power, I just have the charger plugged into the A/C outlet dedicated to the charger.
I don't understand. You have a breaker already for the charger. Turn it on or off as needed or add a breaker/switch for what you don't want on when the charger is on.
If you have a Marinco RV cord, you could connect that to the small generator and the boats 30amp connection. That way, the wholel A/C system is live.
When on the hard, I could run an extension cord to the boat and plug the charger into the extension cord.
I've wanted to do this also. I wanted to put a timer on only the charger when stored for months to give the batteries a charge once a week. I ended up disconnecting the charger and attaching a temporary A/C plug.

capta

Jun 4, 2009
Pearson 530 Admiralty Bay, Bequia SVG
I don't understand. You have a breaker already for the charger. Turn it on or off as needed or add a breaker/switch for what you don't want on when the charger is on.

If you have a Marinco RV cord, you could connect that to the small generator and the boats 30amp connection. That way, the wholel A/C system is live.

I've wanted to do this also. I wanted to put a timer on only the charger when stored for months to give the batteries a charge once a week. I ended up disconnecting the charger and attaching a temporary A/C plug.
They make an adapter from a 15 amp extension cord to a 30 amp shore power cord. Wouldn't that be an easier way to go?

Oct 26, 2008
Catalina 320 Barnegat, NJ
Not sure what issue you are addressing.
I think his issue is that he wants to be able to use the charger with either the generator or a 15 amp service while stored for the winter. His shore power cord terminations are 30 amp and don't fit either one. As others pointed out, the simpler solution is an adaptor. I have an adaptor, too, because my shore power is a 15 amp service. So I agree with the recommendation for an adaptor.

Jan 22, 2008
Beneteau 323 Annapolis MD
I suggest a purpose-made cord with the proper ends and proper length. Eliminates a source of problems.

May 17, 2004
I suggest a purpose-made cord with the proper ends and proper length. Eliminates a source of problems.
Are there purpose-made cords to go from a 15A source to 30A inlet, at adequate length to work for shore power? All I can find are pigtail adapters, which are certainly purpose built, but not long enough for the task, so a standard extension cord needs to run to them.

Oct 26, 2008
Catalina 320 Barnegat, NJ
I think Ron is suggesting to make one. It's not a bad idea. I have a 100' 12 GA. extension with the ground broken off at the male end that I no longer use, but I have it coiled and stored. It would be a good idea to cut the ends off and re-assemble it in the right configuration.

Jan 11, 2014
Sabre 362 113 Fair Haven, NY
Are there purpose-made cords to go from a 15A source to 30A inlet, at adequate length to work for shore power? All I can find are pigtail adapters, which are certainly purpose built, but not long enough for the task, so a standard extension cord needs to run to them.
Yes, you run an extension cord from the shore outlet to the the pigtail. One caveat about the extension cord, it should be a heavy duty cord because of the length of the run. My extension cord is a 12 ga. There is a danger of over heating the cord, depending on what is being run. The AC panel will have a 30 amp breaker protecting the boat, but the extension cord is not 10 gauge. So this is not a good solution for leaving the boat unattended. Many yards forbid leaving the boat plugged in while on the hard for this reason.

Edit: A 12 gauge cord should be protected by a 20 amp breaker, a 15 gauge cord by a 15 amp breaker.

May 17, 2004
Yes, you run an extension cord from the shore outlet to the the pigtail. One caveat about the extension cord, it should be a heavy duty cord because of the length of the run. My extension cord is a 12 ga. There is a danger of over heating the cord, depending on what is being run. The AC panel will have a 30 amp breaker protecting the boat, but the extension cord is not 10 gauge. So this is not a good solution for leaving the boat unattended. Many yards forbid leaving the boat plugged in while on the hard for this reason.

Edit: A 12 gauge cord should be protected by a 20 amp breaker, a 15 gauge cord by a 15 amp breaker.
The shore end of the extension cord should be plugged into an outlet on a 15A breaker, so there is at least some protection there. Concur that there could be a voltage drop on the wire so the belt and suspenders is a good idea.

Edit: I wrote my reply before seeing your edit.I agree.

Jan 7, 2011
I think his issue is that he wants to be able to use the charger with either the generator or a 15 amp service while stored for the winter. His shore power cord terminations are 30 amp and don't fit either one. As others pointed out, the simpler solution is an adaptor. I have an adaptor, too, because my shore power is a 15 amp service. So I agree with the recommendation for an adaptor.
Thanks for all of the comments... T-Bird correctly restated my goal...

Yes, I have a shore power connection on the boat, and it works great at the dock.

I don’t have shore power over the winter and would like to have some lights and radio when working on projects over the winter...and thought that being able to plug my battery charger into an extension cord would work nicely.

On the hook, the same setup could allow me to charge the batteries off a single 110 outlet on the charger.

But the best recommendation seems to be the adaptor plug that goes from the 15 amp to the 30 amp plug on the boat. or a pigtail that does the same thing.

Great suggestions and thank you!

Greg

LloydB

Jan 15, 2006
Macgregor 22 Silverton
Do you have a generator on the boat now? I don't understand why you want to run an extension cord from your battery charger.

Jan 19, 2010
Catalina 34 Casco Bay
Comes the day your charger gives up the ghost, wouldn't you be better served to have some isolation.. So your shore power is just that. Then you decide where it goes and what is does. After making the land/shore connection, you should be closing a switch that allows that power to be used. FROM that point there should be a switch to activate the charger and ( possibly) a switch to supply A/C to throughout the interior. Charger dies or has issues, you leave it's switch open. BUT you'll still have power elsewhere.....

Jan 7, 2011
No,
Do you have a generator on the boat now? I don't understand why you want to run an extension cord from your battery charger.
I don’t have a generator on the boat now...thinking about a Honda EU2000 or similar.

Greg

Jan 7, 2011
Comes the day your charger gives up the ghost, wouldn't you be better served to have some isolation.. So your shore power is just that. Then you decide where it goes and what is does. After making the land/shore connection, you should be closing a switch that allows that power to be used. FROM that point there should be a switch to activate the charger and ( possibly) a switch to supply A/C to throughout the interior. Charger dies or has issues, you leave it's switch open. BUT you'll still have power elsewhere.....
Yeah, that makes sense.
Thanks,

Greg

Jan 7, 2011

That way,

Greg
With all of the great advice I received in this question, I am looking for an adaptor plug that allows me to connect a regular 110 extension cord into the boat shore power plug to run the battery charger.

this is not a marine unit, but is it the same plug as a 30-amp boat shore power plug?

Price is right if the plug is the same size.

Greg