Does the Hunter 376 has good performances?

Status
Not open for further replies.
E

Estelle Pepin

We are seriously considering purchasing a used Hunter 376 (year between 1995 and 2000). Is it a good sailboat ? We received negative comments from a guy who repairs boats such as it is good for "Pic-nic" ... but don't use it when it winds !!! Others told us that they are good .. Is it a strong and dependable boat ? Did any people experience problems ... Thank you for your help.

Mar 24, 2005
Catalina 27 Overland Park, KS.
Owner reviews

You can find the owner reviews at the link in this posting.

F

Franklin

Need to reef or furl the main

I can see how some think it's not good in strong winds. The boat has a lot of sail for it's size. I have a furling main and I'm very glad I do. I find myself only unfurling half of the main when heading into the wind of over 15 kts apparent. With only half the main up, it handles great. In otherwords, if you don't have a furling main on this boat, have lots of reefs and learn how to depower a main or it will be hard to sail in heavy winds. The large sails are great for when the wind is light, so I think it's a great boat as long as you know how to sail it right. As far as it's strenght....well...I've had it in 6' waves heading into the wind and even though that's not a significant test, it gave me some confidence in it. I had the rode wrapped around the keel with it blowing 50+ kts at anchor and the boat held up just fine but the bimini needed to be resewn and I lost a little paint around the keel. All in all, I love my boat. I single handle and it's just the right size for me.

Dec 2, 2003
Hunter 376 Warsash, England --
Goes Like a Train

Anyway, mine does - Provided you have a "Proper" mainsail and the deep keel. Otherwise the performance is ordinary for this size and type. I am race handicapper for the UK Owner's Association.

F

Franklin

short keel

I have the 5' keel and it works great here in the shallow waters of Galveston Bay. I can go places my dock neighbor can't with his 6'11" keel. He has to motor down the ship channel to get to Galveston while I sail down on the east side of the channel. As far as performance, I'm not a racer so I can't tell you how it ranks, but I remember one day when there were 3 boats (that kind of makes a race) heading the same direction, mostly. I had to give way to the other two because they were slightly coming my way, but we went side by side for quite a while. The boat with the right of way was a 42' hunter, the middle boat was a 34' pearson, and me a 376 hunter. I only had half of my main up in about 16 apparent kts and was heeled over about 10*. I could have had more main out but was expecting it to build to over 20 kts that day. Anyway...the pearson took us both but it took a while. I think I was doing 6.2 SOG and that is slow for my boat on a close reach. I'm sure if I let out more sail I could have taken both, but I was enjoying the conversation I was having and was more curious as to who was going to win out of those two...they were very close to each other and I was about 100 yards away. Summary: Short keel does just fine, but I would never say it's a racing boat.

Jun 3, 2004
Hunter 376 Wickford, RI
Nice Boat

We learned to sailon our 376 so I have gone from being a rookie to having sailed her for 7 years and have learned alot. 1. The standard main is a bear to raise. Its hugh and takes 2 men and a boy to raise. With the electric whinch it takes one finger. 2. Again this boat has a hugh main. Great to have in light winds and easy to sail in higher winds if you remember to reef early and oftern. We have sailed in 30-40 knot (not on purpose mind you) with a double reefed main and had no problems. (did that in year 6 not year 1, during year 1 the sail would have come down and we would have motored in and kissed the ground, damn we have learned alot) 3. Replace the standard 2 blad fixed with a folding or feather prop (we have a 2 blade folder). This helps with speed and allows you to point higher. We have some friends who are life long sailors. They didn't think much of her until they sailed on her. Not only did they love the room and modern conviencies (hot water, refridgeration, shower) they couldn't get over how well she pointed and sailed. While the 376 isn't their type of boat (too modern design) they cam away with a new respect for Hunter Ryssell

W

william

Compared to what?

Try www.image-ination.com a sailboat calulator, and compare the boat to any one in its class. Also you can read sailing reviews, but I think taking some time to look into a boat is always time well spent.

F

Franklin

Not bad

If you put in what I consider important, motion comfort and sail area to displacement, not many beat it for an LOA of 35-39. Capsize ration is pretty important and lots of boats of that size beat it on that category alone. I hope that never becomes a problem for me.

Status
Not open for further replies.