Does the bow ride high

letlmt

Oct 21, 2018
Catalina Capri 22 Lake George
I have been told that the bow of a Capri 22 tends to ride high and that I may want to relocated my battery (and add a second battery) further forward.

Do those of you with the newer design find that this is true? If so, what have you done to correct it?

Oct 19, 2017
O'Day 19 Littleton, NH
letlmt,
do you think the bow on your Capri rides high? Is the boot stripe factory painted? What does your trim do while under way? What is your helm like? Are you fighting lee helm? I wouldn't change anything unless it feels like it needs to be changed.

-Will (Dragonfly)

Last edited:
Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Take the out board off the stern and sit closer to the companion way. You'll the CG forward.

Slartibartfass

Capri 22 Mod
Dec 13, 2015
Catalina Capri 22 1139 Mamaroneck, NY
I moved some of the heavier stuff (2 anchors and rope and chain) to the forward lockers to counteract all the weight at the back with the outboard and me and crew.

Jul 28, 2016
The Capri 22 is a very light hull, and it carries a lot of weight aft. You have the outboard mounted on the transom, and the fuel locker both at the very aft end of the boat. The helmsman typically sits aft of the traveler, which put that weight in the aft quarter also. The result is that the stern tends to "squat down" in the water. For performance, you will want to move weight forward - my crew often sits just aft of the shrouds once the sails are trimmed, and will move to the cockpit only when necessary to sail the boat.

If your sailing single-handed, there is not a lot you can do unless you are sailing with an autopilot. Helming the boat from in front of the traveler/mainsheet is difficult.

On my boat, the battery (I use a single group 24 battery which may not be enough for your needs) is located directly behind the cooler/companionway step, as far forward as I can get it while keeping it on the centerline.

letlmt

Oct 21, 2018
Catalina Capri 22 Lake George
Thanks, I will see what I can move/store forward to balance the boat better

Feb 16, 2017
If you look at the boat it is designed the rocker in the hull at to just forward of the keel. This is by choice by Catalina. I used to sail with the in house designer/Naval Arch. engineer in Calif. One of the biggest problems with Catalina yachts
is the boat very full forward close to the waterline in front of the mast. This is why the boat struggles in choppy water. But it helps when reaching and running conditions as it helps keep the rudder in the water and improved righting moment.
This can best be seen when comparing a Capri 22 to J 22 there is approx. 14-16'' difference at the same stations about 4'0'' aft of the bow. See below
upload_2019-1-11_14-3-23.png

upload_2019-1-11_14-4-9.png

Attachments

May 25, 2020
Catalina Capri 22 Home Port
I am pretty sure mine does. My forward hatch drains always have standing water in them when I arrive back at the marina. I also think the excessive weather helm could be eased somewhat by moving some weight forward. I was thinking of relocating my battery, but I’m not sure that would be enough.