Does Rigging Stretch?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jul 8, 2004
- - Pinedale, WY
I recently purchased new rigging from Catalina Direct for my 1975 Catalina 22. When I installed the rigging, seems the upper shrouds and forestay are just barely long enough. When the turnbuckles are as loose as possible, there is just a hair's breadth space enough to install couter pins through the holes in the bolts to prevent further turning. Will the rigging wire stretch over time, or will I just need to live with this for the next few years? Dick

B

Bob W.

Wrong Shrouds?

Dick--Are you sure you got the right length shrouds? Check the lengths by comparing the old against the new. Also, if my memory is correct, the later models C22's had the cabins raised a tad and shortened the mast height resulting in shorter shrouds.

Jul 26, 2005
Catalina 22 Lake Maumelle
Give Catalina Direct a call back

I would definetely call Lowell back on this. My understanding is that the turnbuckles should be about 1/2 closed. Also, I'd post the question on the Catalina Direct web board. Most of the folks there purchase their stuff from Catalina Direct and I know that several of the folks that frequent that board have replaced their standing rigging. Good luck, John

Feb 9, 2004
- - -
Rig stretch

Hi Dick - Rigging wire does indeed stretch over time but if the wire are so short that you can't pin the turnbuckles, I'd say they are too short. I've seen wrong sized rigging and lifelines shipped from boat manufacturers before so it's not unheard of to have a vendor error be the cause. As John said, I'd call Catalina Direct and talk it over with them. Best, Trevor

Joe

Jun 1, 2004
Catalina 27 Mission Bay, San Diego
mail order rigging

I am assuming you didn't send Catalina Direct any measurements, or the old rigging to copy, in which case the wires would be some pre-cut stock. Definitely call them to correct the problem. Send it back to them with your own measurements or the original rigging. Have them build the rigging according to those dimensions rather than what their computer says. If they have a problem with that, ask for your money back,(they can sell the stock stuff to someone else) and find another rigging company, perhaps the Catalina Factory. You may be able to use the new stuff by re-sweging extra length studs or using longer turnbuckles. My choice, however, would be to have CD make it right.

D

Don

Rigging

CD did the exact same thing to me. I sent them my old stays and they made the new ones "a lilttle short due to stretch". No stretch after 2 years. CD has fine workmanship and fair price, but next time I will specify same length as the sample. As long as the cotter pin hole clears the closed part of the turnbuckle, you are OK.

Jun 4, 2004
Catalina 22 Cape Cod
It will stretch . . .

after about 10 - 15 years. So be patient, someday those shrouds will fit. :) the rigging on my 17 year old C22 seemed to have stretched and I could no longer get proper adjustment of the rig as the turnbuckles were bottomed out. INSTEAD of getting replacement shrouds, I put a 3/4" shim under the mast plate. This had the net effect of adding 3/4" adjustment to all the shrouds/stays. Problem solved !!! So, if the rigging is still in good shape, you could add a shim to cure the 'stretch'. Otherwise, tell Catalina Direct to make the new rigging almost the same as the old rigging, and you will add the shim in 10 years when needed.

Jul 8, 2004
- - Pinedale, WY
Thanks for Advice on Rigging

Thanks everyone! Since I can put in the couter pins in the turnbuckles, I guess I'll see what happens. Its currently in storage so will check it out further next year. Dick K.

Jul 26, 2005
Catalina 22 Lake Maumelle
What did you use

Ted, I have the same problem with stretch on my shrouds. I know I should probably replace them but want to get through the rest of the year with them first. What did you use to shim your mast plate?? Thanks, John

Jun 5, 2004
- - Greenwich, CT
Catalina 22 shrouds

Catalina Direct offers two different shroud sets for different year Catalina 22's. Check your invoice part number against the part number for your boat in the Catalog. Further, did you also get new Catalina Direct turnbuckles and toggles with those new shrouds, or did you just use your old ones? There is a difference in the length of different turnbuckles. The Catalina Direct cuts its shrouds for their turnbuckles. If you are not using their turnbuckles, you can run into problems. This “too short” shroud length is now popping up in the new Catalina 22 Sport models. Apparently I am concluding that the issue is not with the shrouds being too short, but the turnbuckles are too short as supplied with the boat that are the closed tubular style and usually shorter than the open style. I think Catalina designed the shrouds for open turnbuckles, but erroneously supply their Sport with closed body turnbuckles.

Jul 8, 2004
- - Pinedale, WY
Open Turnbuckles

Bayard: Thanks, I did get their kit and had told them the year of my C 22. The new turnbuckles are the open type, though shorter than I'd like. Your advice on comparing #'s and then discussing turnbuckle length with Catalina Direct (if I could ever reach the right person there) looks like the way to go. Dick

Status
Not open for further replies.