Does Racing Rule?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jun 6, 2004
Catalina 38 San Francisco Bay
Race to Cruise to Race

I have raced my boat. I have cruised my boat. Each activity has benefits for the other. I race for the competition and comraderie. I do not pretend to race to win. I have no sponsor and my bucket of dollars is not deep enough for serious campaigning. But I have learned to sail my boat at her best! We like to cruise and simply enjoy the act and art of sailing. What Racing lends to sailing is the efficient operation of your boat and the knowledge that you are sailing her to her best ability. What cruising lends to sailing is the sheer joy of being on the water and the oneness with the elements and enjoying your final destination. I temper my racing by being sailing safely and making the best effort that no one gets hurt and we dont break the boat. I temper my cruising with efficient sail trim and optimum speed. AND FACE IT !!! If 2 boats are sailing within sight of each other; THERE IS A RACE ON !!!! We always want to show that we are a little better at what we do than is the other guy!!!!! Fair Winds

C

captbill

Been there-done that

Like a lot of sailors, I've gone the club race scene. I'm not denying that club (read fun)racing builds a much better skill level than puttering around at the dock and occasional day/weekend sails - but I sail to relax, de-stress, and enjoy the quiet beauty of wind and water. The stress of competition is not what I call fun. Bill on STARGAZER

Jun 4, 2004
- - Lake Travis, TX
I Agree:Race to Cruise to Race

Racing taught me how to Cruise and relax at the same time. I never get nervous just because there are other boats nearby and I know how to avoid those that do not seem to understand the rules of the road. I just sold my C250 and loved the agility and speed of the racer/cruiser, I just moved up to a C30 and look forward to entering a new racing scene when I get my new sea legs under me. The pic was one taken during the last regatta I raced in and everything was just right 15-20 knots, One 4th place and four 1st place finishes in the Hill Country Yacht club Fiesta Regatta. Steve Steakley

Alan

Jun 2, 2004
Hunter 35.5 LI, NY
Racing definately RULES!!! ;D

If you are a sailor and want to really learn to sail well, racing will teach how to sail. Many, many "sailors" put up their sails and don't really know how to sail. Racing means you know how to get the best out of your skills as a sailor no matter what type of boat you own. Mediocrity is not part of my personality. I can't stop trying to improve my sailing abilities.

Tom S

Feb 4, 2004
Catalina 36mkII Stamford, CT
"racing teaches maximum safety" ?!?

Hmmmmm.... I wouldn't say that. Not at all. Too often I have seen VERY unsafe things done while racing. Racing does teach maximum efficiency under sail, but I have seen too many racers with poor "seamanship" skills. So I would say Racing teaches efficiency under sail and Cruising teaches seamanship skills. Not implying that you don't use both skills in either forum, but each one emphasizes one skill over the other.

Jun 22, 2004
Hunter 33.5 San Francisco
Racing in light air

Two skills I think I've best learned from racing versus cruising is heavy air and light air sailing. I think most racers can think of times where had it not been a race they would have dropped their sails and motored home because of either. Unless your engine is dead ( and that's why its a skill well learned) what cruiser is going to try and eke out a few tenths of a knot of boatspeed when there's barely a breath of air. And unless you're training yourself for offshore cruising who's going to go out for a fun sail when its blowing 30+ knots?

Tom D

Jun 7, 2004
- - Tampa
J.B You're missing the point

J.B. - You're missing the point! I don't think anyone said that people who cruise are poor sailors or don't have the potential to be great sailors. There are just a lot of folks who attribute their skills and confidence to their experiences racing sailboats. More importantly, it's the speed at which you will experience or witness things because you are always pushing yourselves and your boat to the limit. It is not a conservative agenda and constantly provides you with a valuable perspective on the limits of boats and people. How many cruisers have seen a boat dismasted? Would they know what to expect if it happened? I think the vast majority of us don't want think about it, nor do we ever plan on experiencing it, and we will most likely tailor our habits so that we never have to experience it. Often times in racing, however, it is a reality, and having seen it takes some of the fear and apprehension out of it. How many cruisers have experienced a capsize or broach? Would they be able to immediately react without thinking, or would it be a panic? It's not that people who enjoy cruising could or would never become proficient at sailing - it's just that if you depend on learning by experience and time on the water, and you have a more conservative agenda (which is OK) then it will take longer. Of course, we know that all depends on the individual and I don't mean for this response to be disrespectful to the many great sailors who have learned through their experiences and who have had the guts to go out and test themselves when most would stay at the dock. I just believe that they are the minority. Think about it - the primary message from the cruisers on this post is that they sail to de-stress, relax, and get away. There is nothing wrong with this, I do it myself. Nothing about taking your $50-100,000 investment, however, out in a gusty 20-25kt breeze, short-handed, with your wife and kids on board, sounds de-stressing (my family would be miserable). That being said, people who are cruising are more likely to take a more conservative approach when sailing - and many times the more prudent one given the circumstances. Unlike your flying analogy, pilots are trained by professionals, are licensed, and are required to demonstrate, on a regular basis, proficiency in handling the plane and understanding emergency procedures. Most sailors on the otherhand are self taught. Their training will come as fast as they can muster the courage to put themselves and their families in more advanced situations, or as their ignorance will find them in those situations (and I mean that respectfully). I go out and race to learn, experience, and witness things, and to test myself to see what I can do. Then I take that knowledge, and experience with me on my cruising boat to keep my wife and kids safe, and to make sailing an enjoyable experience for them. They have no interest in experiencing heavy weather sailing, but if by chance, we do, I will feel comfortable in the situation. Because of the confidence I am able to display, they feel comfortable going out and continue to go. This I have to attribute to my experiences racing. Racing is not for everyone, but there is no question that it provides one of the best training environments for sailors, year round. Except for a few distasteful responses, the vast majority of pro-racing responses appear to be coming from people who both, race and cruise - and seem to be very proud of what they have accomplished. I really didn't interpret many of the responses to be putting down cruisers. I do agree with you on one point, however, and that is with all the power boaters we still have to fight (and we are definately outnumbered) we all need to stick together.

May 23, 2004
Catalina 30 Stockton, CA
I used to race

I used to race my C-27, but haven't since I bought my C-30. For me, I learned a lot by racing and it really improved my sailing skills. Now it's a matter of too little time and too much cruising stuff on the boat. My local club (Stockton Sailing Club) sponsors an interesting overnight race, called the South Tower Race, from Stockton, CA, through the CA Delta to San Francisco and back. The total distance is about 140 mi roundtrip and, since you're tacking about every 5 minutes for a good part of the westbound leg, it's quite a marathon.

Jon W.

May 18, 2004
Catalina 310 C310 Seattle Wa
Racing plus cruising

I have enjoyed each equally. But there is nothing like sailing alongside another boat at hull speed, three feet apart, each trying to pass the other, and both skippers cool as cucumbers with complete confidence in each others ability. When I try to do that while cruising, it usually doesn't work out so well!

Jun 7, 2004
Beneteau Moorings_432 Seattle
Professional Soccer?!?

The Mrs's and I have no desire whatsoever to race. We have sailed in all sorts of weather and enjoy getting out in something new. We cruise only and don't feel the need to race. I played professional soccer for several years and know many brilliant players that never played, and some that never wanted to play, professionally for many different reasons. That never meant they weren't quality players or even better than many of the players I knew playing professionally at the time. The Mrs's and I feel we can experience all we need to (and more) on our own in relation to being a competent seaman-woman. Of course you need to want to push yourself to learn, but it's the same for (life) any endeavour. Some folks feel the need to get out and "feel the need for speed" against others for their own reasons. That's fine, we don't. Good luck to all you racers and I hope you win, truly, I love a good race. In the meantime, the Mrs's and I will be cruising with the BBQ blazing and will enjoy getting to the finish line at our own pace. Fair winds, s/v DreamWeaver

Alan

Jun 2, 2004
Hunter 35.5 LI, NY
Tom D.

You have put it all together and in a non-confrontational format. You make total sense without belittling the other guy. We do need to stick together and I have no clue what to do about those idiots in their power boats who have no understanding of boating, safety and courtesy.

Jun 3, 2004
Catalina 25 Everett
Not on my Boat

I began Team Racing when I was eleven. I've experienced capsising, de- mastings, broaches, torn sails, broken shrouds, and have been T-boned so hard that the other boats mast came down in three pieces sweeping me over board in a tangle of shrouds. Cruising is about rest and relaxation; racing is what you do on someone elses' boat.

May 28, 2004
Oday Widgeon Beech Bluff, Tn.
Tom D.

I see your point, but it appears that the point is being missed on both sides of the discussion. The thought in my mind is that this is a country of free choice and what does it matter what course a person decides to follow? Why would anyone challenge a persons personal choice or assume that there were ulterior motives for why someone chooses it? Why would anyone have to defend their position about why they race or not? Why is it assumed by a great number of racers that if someone doesn't race that they don't have the skills and there must be some other reason besides they simply choose not to? Racing sailboats are the number one filers of damage claims in the boating industry,(as per BoatUS stats) even topping PWC's and speed boats. If for no other reason than personal choice, I would prefer not to take the chance on tearing my boat up and going through the hassle of getting it fixed. There are too many possible hazardous situations that could arrise to count, demasting is only one of them. You can't practice being demasted, like flying, you can't practice crashing. One can only try to be prepared and trained in the event of any emergency in the event it occurs and no matter how hard you try, mother nature will try to come up with a new twist. Would I go out in violent weather under non emergency situations? No! Do I have the skills and experience to if needed or caught out in it? Yes! Imprudent decisions have caused many deaths in people over confident in their abilities. I had a recent Coast Guard inspection. The inspector told me that I was the first boat that he had inspected that had a set of bolt cutters on board and additional tackle just in case of a demasting. I also have spare impellers, belts, fuel pumps and other critical items. None of this was learned from racing, just common sense and an attempt at being prepared as well as possible. You are right, we are all sailors. My comments were tongue in cheek and I hold no ill will against racers. My marina mates, racers and cruisers, are all the best of friends. We party together, help each other as needed, and even have an association comprised of racers and cruisers. Life itself is a learning process and we all have things to learn from each other, racer and cruiser's alike. I have no feelings of superiority over racers, however, I sometimes get the feeling that its not the case with racers. I guess it could just be a sense of pride in what you do. Big world, lotsa water!!

May 18, 2004
Catalina 30 Navarre Beach, Fl
Chris B. point well taken

but, I still contend if you want to learn to sail on the "fast tract" get you a small beach cat. not only will you learn proper sail trim in a hurry, when the only ballast keeping the boat upright and sailing is your butt you also learn how everything works together! ;)

Jun 11, 2004
- - Port Gardner Bay
Com'n Ladies. Get out there!

I dont' visit this site very often but found this discussion close to my heart. My husband and I own a Catalina 27' that I club race. He doesn't enjoy racing but I live for it. I've sailed for 25 years but have learned more in the last 6 than all the rest combined. I feel that I can contribute more to our cruising now. If you do extended cruising you can learn all aspects of your boat and navigation over a period of time. If your cruising two or three weeks a year then racing can teach you the same skills in a shorter period of time. As a woman sailor racing has opened my sailing world to new experiences I wouldn't have enjoyed just cruising. I know how to handle our boat in adverse conditions. I am a safer sailor because of racing. I have more friends because of racing. I can walk the docks and know 50% of my fellow boaters. The other 50% never leave the slip! Sure it's hard on boats. What sport isn't hard on your equipment. But maintained it can last for years. I know how to make repairs on most anything on our boat which makes cruising more enjoyable for me. I enjoy being a part of racing for the comaraderie, tradition, experience, and knowledge. It can make you a more confident sailor and person. I'm not just the "galley wench" but a respected member of the sailing community. Now I crew on big boats in Seattle experiencing a more competitive side of the sport and am able to contribute to a team. Racing is what you make of it. When I skipper my own boat there is no yelling allowed. Safety first, and above all, when it stops being fun it's time to quit. We haven't quit yet! I don't have high tech sails and I don't come in first place. I'm there for the love of the sport. Racing has made me confident enough to take non sailors out and introduce them to sailing. I'd love to see more women racers. Not just eye candy or movable ballast. So com'n ladies get out there and have some fun!

Jun 7, 2004
- - Puget Sound
Race a Dinghy

I thought I wanted to cruise. There are a dozen weekends when it is possible, given work schedules and weather. Perhaps two weeks in summer, consecutively if you are lucky. A cruising boat will spend a lot of time in its slip. However, a Star came my way, International 14s, Lightning, Penguin, Snipe, El Toro, Pelican, and the cruising boats that crossed my path could never compete. With a one design class you have a schedule, With weekly races, sometimes year round, you actually go sailing. You sail closed courses, so you must actually make your boat do as you want it to, not just reach off and motor home. To all sailors of large boats, I say get a dinghy, of whatever class races in your area. If it is small and raced single handed, get one for every member of the family. Aside from the benefits of comradarie of small boat sailing, you and your family (or crew) will become much better boat handlers, sharper sailors, and everyone will enjoy the big boat more because they understand sailing. PS: Be sure on a cruise to give everyone aboard a chance at the tiller, to navigate, to anchor, yes, even to handle the boat under power. Thus the skipper learns the problems his rigging gives the crew and the crew finds out why the skipper chooses the course he does.

Mots

Jun 24, 2004
- - Vancouver, BC, Canada
Cruising Racer

My first post after joining. I had a Catalina 30 for 5years and sailed her etensively through the Gulf Islands and Desolation sound. As life's journey would have it, I had to give her up, and have been crewing on racing boats for the past years. We even have a rare Catalina 37 "Topless" who sails in our various races. While I took up racing as a way to get back on the water, I must admit that I learned more about sail trim in one race than in my entire sailing experience. Having said that, I also found that a substantial number of racers have minimal anchoring experience, let alone understanding how to set a stern line in tidal waters!! We are now ready to get back into boat ownership, looking for a Catalina 36. While we will not race her, my experience racing will assure I equip her properly, especially for the light winds we get here in the summer. I beleive racing makes you more aware of sail trim, and most importantly in light winds, weight distribution of crew and equipment. I am amazed at the number of fellow cruisers I see motoring, when they could be sailing! Racing also prepares you for the inevitable sail changes, jury rigging when equipment breaks, and confidence in knowing what a boat will do in challenging circumstances. Cruising on the other hand is about the journey, not necessarily about the destination. Too many racers can't sit still, and need to be constantly adjusting trim. In the end, whether you race, cruise or do both, its the experience along the way. Based on our boat search, you can tell alot about a boats history just by looking at her equipment, decks, cockpit and head. I'm amazed on boats that are cruised, the amount of algae growth on halyards that have rarely been touched! Balance is key. I feel I am a far better technical sailor now, having masterd spinnaker gybes, night sails (Swiftsure, Southern Straights) sail changes and broken blocks. But at the end of the day, you can't beat a secluded anchorage with good friends, meat on the BBQ, libations in hand, and the comforts of cruising boat!

E

ex-admin

Final results

Final results for the Quick Quiz ending June 27, 2004: Which of the following best expresses your involvement with racing:    53% I don't race because that's not what I sail for 23% I race my own boat  14% I crew in races on another boat  11% I don't race because I don't have the knowledge / skills  1,129 owners responding

Status
Not open for further replies.