Does O'Day 19 Float When Capsized

May 18, 2012
Oday 19 Lake George
Post title says it all. I'm still new to my 1979 O'Day 19. A friend told me he sailed same boat many years ago with his dad and it went over and sank. There is some floatation around storage lockers in cockpit ... but doesn't look like a lot. My outboard is a 6hp Yamaha weighing about 55 lbs. No close calls yet but I take out my grand kids and always assumed if worse happened it would at least float.
Appreciate any thoughts (obviously life jackets for the kids are a must).

Feb 6, 1998
Canadian Sailcraft 36T Casco Bay, ME
Post title says it all. I'm still new to my 1979 O'Day 19. A friend told me he sailed same boat many years ago with his dad and it went over and sank. There is some floatation around storage lockers in cockpit ... but doesn't look like a lot. My outboard is a 6hp Yamaha weighing about 55 lbs. No close calls yet but I take out my grand kids and always assumed if worse happened it would at least float.
Appreciate any thoughts (obviously life jackets for the kids are a must).
The centerboard cable on ours snapped when I was a kid. The CB slammed the trunk sides while on the mooring and the side to side slamming eventually fractured the hull and she sank. She floated bow up because some air got trapped in there... About 12" of the bow was visible above water..... Ours was an early model 2+2 (?). Perhaps later ones had some flotation added?

Nov 9, 2012
Oday 192 Lake Nockamixon
Don't get the O'day 19s confused. There's the old O'day Mariner 19 which I think MaineSail is referring to, because it was available in a 2+2 version with bigger cuddy cabin: http://sailboatdata.com/viewrecord.asp?class_id=41

And then there's the newer design O'day 19: http://sailboatdata.com/viewrecord.asp?class_id=75

I know my 192 has foam all up under the V-berth, so I assume it'll stay floating. But the 192 was introduced 5 years after the 19, which is what, 10 years newer than the Mariner 19?

Brian

Jun 2, 2004
Oday Day Sailer Wareham, MA
The 192 was introduced in 1985 Model year (23 years after first Mariner was built
, 6 years after last Mariner was built)

Mariner was built from 1962 to 1979 in 3 different versions of the deck;
1) 1962-68 the boat was basically open bow to stern with a cuddy that had 2 berths and room for a head. Flotation as under the seats in hte cockpit. Cockpit was not self-bailing and boat could flood if swamped.
2) 1969-72 the introduced the first version (style?) of the 2+2 model. Cabin shape was basically the same as the earlier version but now had 4 berths (hence the 2+2) and a self-bailing cockpit, cabin now had aft bulkhead and main hatch. Flotation under berths.
3)1972-79 same basic configuration as 1969-72, but restyled cabin shape (now more rounded and no longer had a stepped, 2-level top.

All Mariners had flotation, all had 200# of lead in bilge, that along with the 165# cast-iron CB made them self-righting if somehow capsized. Optional from 1962 - 72? was a 3'3" draft fin-keel instead of the CB with added lead in bilge.

In 1979 the O'DAY 19 was introduced to replace the Mariner. Inside ballast was 300# and hte CB was now fiberglass (about 52#). Not "technically" self-righting, but sailed with proper care and seamanship should be unlikely to capsize. Proper care and seamanship means sailing her like a centerboard boar should be sailed. That means reducing sail if wind increases, and ALWAYS keeping hte mainsheet in hand while sailing! That way, if a gust hits, you can instantly release the mainsheet to spill the wind and keep the boat upright. If the wind gets real strong (as well as if you are afraid you might somehow capsize) it is good practice to close up the cabin entrance to prevent water from entering the cabin if, as I say.... you somehow managed to capsize. The cockpit locker lid needs to be locked closed as well to stop water from pouring in there if the boat capsizes. HOWEVER, the 19 was never designed to be out in the type of conditions where a capsize is unavoidable, she is a near coastal boat, NOT an offshore cruiser and one should head in to shore long before conditions get that bad.

Is it possible to capsize an O'DAY 19? YOU BET! Are you likely to ever capsize the boat under "normal" conditions? I seriously doubt it, you would have to do everything wrong and almost purposely fight against the boat to get her to go over beyong the point that water comes over the side. There should be just enough "Weather Helm" in hte rig (that is the tendency for the boat to round up into the wind if pushed) so that if the boat gets overpowered by a gust, she resist just about all of your efforts to prevent turning into the wind long before she come close to going over.

Employing the above precautions (mainsheet in hand, reducing sail, heading for home before wind gets too strong) has allowed me to enjoy 18 seasons without a capsize in my DS II and 8 seasons with a 12' Widgeon without capsizing. I sail on windy Buzzards Bay (near Cape Cod) and don't always avoid windy days as much as I probably should! Yet, I can confidently avoid going over. Yes, I have had a few close calls, but my DS II doesn't have any ballast (except Me!) to keep her upright, I guess the thought of possibly dunking my 4hp outboard underwater in the event of a capsize also keeps me on my toes and provides further incentive to stay upright. In 18 seasons, I can count on one hand the nuber of times that I took more than a gallon or two of water over the lee side while sailing, and only scared myself once or twice that I might not stay dry!
A 19 should therefore be a lot LESS likely to capsize. Again, YES, it COULD happen, but it SHOULD be extremely unlikely. O'DAY included "Positive flotation" in the 19, that means enough foam to keep her (along wiht normal crew and gear) afloat if ever holed or in the unlikely event of a capsize. The mast was also filled with foam. Sail her like a centerboard boat that COULD capsize (but again, should NOT ever capsize!) and you too will enjoy many, many years of capsize free sailing!!

OH ,and the O'DAYs fro mthe 1960's era are by now prone to having flotation foam that may have become waterlogged due to various conditions (eve njust many years of condensation) and so, like a lot of older boats, it is not unheard of for them to not float as high as they should if they were to swamp. Newr boats, like hte 19 have better foam that is less likely to get waterlogged.

May 18, 2012
Oday 19 Lake George
Great Answer. Thank you! Lake George in upstate NY is 32 miles long and about 2 miles wide at our dock, surrounded by high mountains ... such that big blows, fierce mountain storms, squalls can come very quickly, and occasionally from a totally new direction. I 've sailed on it all my life in everything from sunfish to a Hunter 28.5 and nowadays go out on the O'Day 19 or a windsurfer when short of time. I love a relaxing sail but occasionally like to sail aggressively, not that I would with the grandkids, but even alone I don't want to lose the boat in 150-200 ft of water. One definitely has to be doing the 360 deg look if any question. Anyway, Thank you again for all the info about the progression/family of boats related to the 19. It sounds like, bottom line, it will sink if I do everything wrong, and based on all the suggestions I will be even more careful when weather is at all threatening .. definitely hold main sheet by hand and ready to throw her into the wind in a hurry.

Jan 22, 2008
Catalina 310 278 Lyndeborough NH
The O'Day 19 has loose styrofoam blocks in the bow sealed between the hull, deck, and cabin liner. I explored the area while fixing the pulpit mounting.

There are large foam blocks glued to the inside bottom of the cockpit in the stern. These blocks do not extend down into the bilge to come into contact with water. So the blocks stay very dry.

The foam will keep the boat from sinking. But make sure no one has removed any of it.

This model has 300 lbs of lead along the keel sticking down several inches. The centerboard is basically coated plywood weighing 53 lbs. It is a nice design for coming right up to shore.

The boat should not capsize in any recreational sailing conditions. You should be comfortable in winds less than 20 knots (using proper precautions, of course). It has more stability than a dinghy, but not as much as a fixed keel.

http://sailboatdata.com/viewrecord.asp?CLASS_ID=75

Jan 22, 2008
There are two versions of the O'Day 19 differing in mast height.

The original "tall mast" version is the one listed most often. But it was made for only a couple years. The later ones (like mine) has a mast and sail area similar to the O'Day 192.

I originally thought mine has the rigging changed, but Rudy confirmed that there were two versions.

Jun 2, 2004
The centerboard is basically coated plywood weighing 53 lbs.

I asked Rudy at D&R Marine today about the O'DAY 19 centerboard, he says that the CB is, like all other O'DAY centerboards, a fiberglass shell filled with a resin slurry. I would agree on the approximate weight, 52-53#, but it is not plywood if original.

Jan 22, 2008
The centerboard is basically coated plywood weighing 53 lbs.

I asked Rudy at D&R Marine today about the O'DAY 19 centerboard, he says that the CB is, like all other O'DAY centerboards, a fiberglass shell filled with a resin slurry. I would agree on the approximate weight, 52-53#, but it is not plywood if original.
I will stand corrected. It does make sense that it is a fiberglass shell with resin. I did not actually "sample" it although I did get to "heft" it! I had "sampled" some other centerboards of other boats that were plywood.

May 18, 2012
Oday 19 Lake George
The O'Day 19 has loose styrofoam blocks in the bow sealed between the hull, deck, and cabin liner. I explored the area while fixing the pulpit mounting. There are large foam blocks glued to the inside bottom of the cockpit in the stern. These blocks do not extend down into the bilge to come into contact with water. So the blocks stay very dry. The foam will keep the boat from sinking. But make sure no one has removed any of it. This model has 300 lbs of lead along the keel sticking down several inches. The centerboard is basically coated plywood weighing 53 lbs. It is a nice design for coming right up to shore. The boat should not capsize in any recreational sailing conditions. You should be comfortable in winds less than 20 knots (using proper precautions, of course). It has more stability than a dinghy, but not as much as a fixed keel. http://sailboatdata.com/viewrecord.asp?CLASS_ID=75
Very helpful. Thanks. You've described my boat ... as I have seen the foam blocks under cockpit but wasnt sure if there was any other floatation. I do have the taller mast, 24' i believe and a 60 pound outboard so I suppose it could sink once filled with water even with the floatation you mention. Anyway, i appreciate your response and all the additional info about the o'day 19. Happy Sailing. Bill

Jun 2, 2004
The flotation in the O'DAY 19 SHOULD be sufficient to support the boat and normal crew and gear if swamped. I know that is true on the smaller O'DAYs (at least those built since around mid-late 1970's). If extra ballast were added or some foam removed..... well, then who knows.... but, I'd be more concerned about sinking from a hull puncture than capsizing. And I think you would need to hit (or be hit by) something pretty hard to cause a catastrophic leak in the hull.

Nov 9, 2012
Oday 192 Lake Nockamixon
I kayaked up in The Narrows one year. As I recall, there are some darn big rocks and shoals in the middle of The Narrows. Not such a big deal in a plastic sea kayak, but I sure wouldn't want to hit them with my sailboat! :D:D:D Out in the middle of the lake, I'm sure it's fine, but I expect there are areas to avoid. A friend of mine's parents live up there. He has a Cape Dory 25D up at Ithica, and wants to take his Com-Pac Sun Cat up to Lake George. I would LOVE to sail Lake George. Gotta get a bigger tow platform :cry:

The flotation in the O'DAY 19 SHOULD be sufficient to support the boat and normal crew and gear if swamped. I know that is true on the smaller O'DAYs (at least those built since around mid-late 1970's). If extra ballast were added or some foam removed..... well, then who knows.... but, I'd be more concerned about sinking from a hull puncture than capsizing. And I think you would need to hit (or be hit by) something pretty hard to cause a catastrophic leak in the hull.

Apr 25, 2010
Oday 22 Wellfleet MA
Will the boat sink if it capsizes

Why don't you capsize the boat and see what happens?

May 18, 2012
Oday 19 Lake George
Why don't you capsize the boat and see what happens?
Assume you're joking. Maybe my sunfish... but not a 19 ft O'Day with cockpit lockers and cabin full of equipment, supplies, and a 1 yr old $1600 dollar Yamaha outboard. Don't think so.