does h260 have steam light?

Oct 8, 2023
Hunter 260 Kemah
Now am trying to get anchor light and front running lights to work. They're not working..

The electrical panel has on 1 switch the option to flip one way for anchor light and other way for steam light. But does h260 have steam light like maybe at top of mast separate from anchor light? Or does setting to steam just turn off the anchor light since when moving/steaming the anchor light should be off?

Sigh. Power ain't getting to anchor light and front nav lights. I sorta think the wires in switch panel are bad. I will rig up the anchor and nav on panel on diff switches as first try at fix. Man the wiring is confusing back there.

What does ACC on switches mean?

Attachments

May 17, 2004
Beneteau Oceanis 37 Havre de Grace
I don’t know about the steaming light, but the ACC switches are probably “Accessory” - switches for various items like instruments that weren’t installed at the factory but may have been added over time (or may still be unused).

Jun 2, 2004
Hunter 23.5 Fort Walton Yacht Club, Florida
Quick answer is yes.

The light on the top of the mast has two bulbs. With the switch in the "Mast Light " position both are on to give you a 360 degree white light. With the switch in the "Steam Light" position just one is luminated showing a 225 degree light.

First place to check to see what is wrong if they do not work is the three pin deck connector. It is notorious for getting corroded and keeping the light from working.

Lots of stuff in the archives on addressing this issue which is common to the 23.5, 26, 240 and 260.

Last edited:
Jun 8, 2004
-na -NA Anywhere USA
Both @Davidasailor26 and @Rick Webb are correct. First, use a tester too to see if you are getting power to the lights. If so, look at the light bulbs to replace.

Your switch for the combo steaming and anchor light is a on-off-on three way position switch.

The deck plug is either a three or four prong fitting. The big pin is generally your Dcc ground. Did you ever read on line the manual for the 260?

Oct 8, 2023
Hunter 260 Kemah
Thanks. Sorry if seem amateur. The bulb top of mast lights up if at base of mast give power, that's good.

Not all of us are good at wiring diagrams. And by definition if switch does nothing then something has broke or loosened, so gotta track down broken bit not just understand.

An anchor light is really my main goal, I've given up risky night boating so who needs running lightsg. In reality if can't fix I can hang light somewhere medium high, the regs are from 70s and days when some literally hung a lantern halfway up foresail. In small bay top of mast is hard to crane neck up to see, and not think light is a star so medium height better, people boating look near water not up where planes are haha.

UPDATE: Pried front bow light off, broken wire. SO THATS FIXABLE. Tested mast lights using a lil 12v fan to show power, and power is coming from inside to top, wow good, but the 3 pin wasn't working to send power onwards till brushed and really screwed it's connection tight now get power. Yeah!!! Thank God it's simple I admit I'm dumb and bozo. ....

If curious when switch set one way seems 2 wires send power up the mast to power both lights up there, I guess this is "anchor" mode, 1 powered line is "steam" mode to power I guess a 270 degree light up there. Sigh. Any light up there is good nuff for anchoring, I have solar white lights around deck to see where I step that really is main way people spot boat at night. Thanks.

Last edited:
Jun 8, 2004
-na -NA Anywhere USA
The light bulb three pin plug, check the inside of the plug for corrosion and clean it depending on what you see. If not, then You will have to drop the mast to remove the light bulb. There is write up how to lower and raise the mast of the 260 you will find in the downloads under boat information for the hunter 260.

As for the switch you will need a Phillips screwdriver to remove the four corner screws and see how many wire are attached and the color of those wires

Finally you’re not dumb but lack the knowledge of the boat. If truth be known, I beat you to the punch asking dumb questions which is one reason I am called Crazy Dave. We want to help you

Ever thought of hanging a white 360 degree solar powered lantern from the boom at night? Power boaters look straight, not up.

Jun 2, 2004
If curious when switch set one way seems 2 wires send power up the mast to power both lights up there, I guess this is "anchor" mode, 1 powered line is "steam" mode to power
Exactamundo

Oct 8, 2023
Hunter 260 Kemah
My motto is try to fix and no research and hope, I choose dumbness!!. W internet now I also ask questions lazily. Ha.

Got mast light sorta working. But it throws light mostly backward, maybe the 270 degree arc of light is facing back and the 90 degree bulb is burnt out. ?????? Did Hunter put the 270 bulb aftward. When under way steaming this way doesn't throw white light forward to compete with the red green lights.... What kind of bulbs are up there????

Boy the 3 prong connector is finicky. I don't trust it. I plan on hanging solar lantern halfway up jib. I also don't like draining 12 volt battery so lots of mastlight use when at anchor seems bad.

The mast/steam light has a resister at the panel which I ll not even try to grasp. Ain't it nice 12v ain't enough to zap, makes tinkering low stress. I guess 24v will zap ya. Thanks.

Last edited:
Jan 19, 2010
Hobie 16 & Rhodes 22 Skeeter Charleston
Anchor lights also drain your house battery... hanging a lantern is really your better option for the reasons you already stated.

The streaming light is a legal requirement. You are supposed to have it on anytime you are using your auxillary (outboard)... this is especially true if you are also flying your sails with the motor on. It lets other boaters know that you no longer have stand-on ("right of way") privalages and are now considered a power boater. I doubt most power boaters know that detail of the marine legal landscape.

Oct 8, 2023
Hunter 260 Kemah
If not boating after dusk a person doesn't need navigation lights, and 99% of people don't. Here we have crab pots floating so we really try not to. . . Anchoring one needs a white light up medium high, and sometimes I just put $1 solar light taped to a deck post. . . Luckily most people boat where there is background light from city lights. . I still don't get why the mast light mostly throws light backward. Thanks

May 17, 2004
My motto is try to fix and no research and hope, I choose dumbness!!. W internet now I also ask questions lazily. Ha.

Got mast light sorta working. But it throws light mostly backward, maybe the 270 degree arc of light is facing back and the 90 degree bulb is burnt out. ?????? Did Hunter put the 270 bulb aftward. When under way steaming this way doesn't throw white light forward to compete with the red green lights.... What kind of bulbs are up there????

Boy the 3 prong connector is finicky. I don't trust it. I plan on hanging solar lantern halfway up jib. I also don't like draining 12 volt battery so lots of mastlight use when at anchor seems bad.

The mast/steam light has a resister at the panel which I ll not even try to grasp. Ain't it nice 12v ain't enough to zap, makes tinkering low stress. I guess 24v will zap ya. Thanks.
It sounds like there’s all kinds of wonkiness going on. A steaming light should shine forward through a 225 degree arc. The stern light should be visible through a 135 degree arc. Maybe your masthead light got mounted backwards or spun around over the years? I see no reason for a resistor at the panel in the circuit for the lights. If it’s actually in that circuit all it’ll do is reduce the brightness of the lamp and convert some energy to heat. Neither of those are great outcomes. 12V, 24V, and even up to 48V are considered safe, and a resistor is not considered a way to make an unsafe voltage safe anyway.

jssailem

SBO Weather and Forecasting Forum Jim & John
Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
In those “20 years self taught mostly motoring the Mississippi and Tenn-Tom canal”, the rules for lighting on a boat have not changed.
Being “self-taught” and motoring if you used the waters not following the regulations you either would be caught and instructed or now that you are sailing learning the rules for the first time.

Pictures are easy to decode.
1699289886816.jpeg

If the white light shines forward it is steaming. If the white light shines aft it is stern navigation. If white light shines all around the boat it means anchored boat.

• Helpful
Jun 2, 2004
The "resistor" on the back of the switch I believe is a diode so that you can control both bulbs with one switch.
To one side is just the forward "steaming light" the opposite direction is the "anchor light" with both bulbs illuminated for 360 degree visibility.

Oct 8, 2023
Hunter 260 Kemah
Nav lights are bit fixed now, but I don't boat at night so no need to totally get with all the lighting rules. Boating at night seems almost reckless, w junk in water and x10 difficulty navigating. But might as well get all the lights fixed a bit and running as good as possible.

Night boating seems unwise. If a night boater hits a anchored boat with white light boy will the night boater be at fault, and by definition the only one risking their lives. Nav lights are like wearing a helmet leaping across between roofs, even if done well it's unwise. Boating is already pretty risky in daytime, but yeah despite risk it's dirt cheap relaxation for us fatalists who can sleep anchored in windstorm as anchor barely holds. So guys boat due to their fatalism and skipping the odds.

In China few spend much time swimming, like once a decade and usually with a floatie, they look at letting kids and family swim as reckless, so maybe night boating is similar and we just forget how unwise it is. I'm not judging but wonder if we have blindspots to some dangers. Night bicycling also has led to few crashes, potholes, so I'm trying to give that up. Night is risky. Is night driving risky, like x10 per mile? Hmm. Peace!!

May 17, 2004
The lights are not just a nighttime requirement. Per the USCG Navigation Rules - “The lights prescribed by these Rules shall, if carried, also be exhibited from sunrise to sunset in restricted visibility and may be exhibited in all other circumstances when it is deemed necessary.” I just used mine last week in fog, and I’ve used them often in passing rainstorms. Probably not conditions you’d look to go out in, but certainly ones you could find yourself in.

As for the dangers of night sailing - I think you overestimate them a bit, at least in general. If you’re not comfortable with it that’s totally understandable, but I think there are times and places where it can be done relatively safely. You won’t find me sailing home in the dark in a busy harbor after July 4th fireworks, but in more remote places with the right skills it’s commonly done and I think acceptably safe.

Jan 19, 2010
Hobie 16 & Rhodes 22 Skeeter Charleston
Total risk involves many varialbles. What are the risks you have already accepted?
  • That power boater speeding towards you is paying attentions (is sober)?
  • The jet ski punk hopping wake skimming close to your transom is in control of their PWC and won't crash into you?
  • A late afternoon pop-up THUNDER storm does not come out of the blue and blow you on your side and ....
  • Heat stroke/Sun Burn...
Night sailing...??? There are many fewer boats on the water... and most of the drunks on jet skiis have gone to shore. It is not as hot = no pop-up T-storms....If the moon is up... visibility/contrast is often better than when the glare of the sun is one the water.... I love sailing at night!!! If you are sailing in familiar waters... you will know where the hazards are.

Pick your weather window and make choices based upon your comfort/skill level. If you don't feel comfortable doing something, then don't do it or at least take is slow until you develop the confidence you need to feel safe.

You also mentioned anchors. Yeah! I'm one of those paranoid anchor guys. I like to set at least two anchors (for-aft) and have set three on occasions (in a triangle pattern). I'm sure there are those who would look at my anchor habits and think I have gone overboard :)dancing:) but that is what I need to sleep well at night.

I'd brag :liar: on my anchor skills but I'm afraid if I say it out loud, I'll drag :biggrin:;)

Jan 7, 2011
Oday 322 East Chicago, IN
I sail at night sometimes, usually because I got back too late and the sun went down. But occasionally head out for a midnight sail.

Almost magical to be out on the water in the dark…
- Very few boats out
- Senses, especially hearing, seems ultra sensitive
- lots of shore lights to provide nav aids
- if the moon is up (and full) it is a really beautiful sight.

Greg