Does anyone know this boat brand?

Oct 25, 2014
green sailboat lhc
Thanks in advance for helping me to identify this boat brand and model. Once I have this information, I plan to shop around for parts, starting with the keel. The weight limitations would be helpful too.

Attachments

Aug 2, 2005
Pearson 33-2 & Typhoon 18 Seneca Lake
Welcome healthrx,

Some other measurements like length and beam would be helpful for those who might have an idea of the boat type. If you can locate a hull identification number on the transom corner that would help too. Looking through a copy of Sailboat Classes of North America would be fun and instructive. Some history of the boat classes is included. That is assuming it is a specific class designed hull.

Enjoy the search and the restoration. Finding parts for that hull will be a challenge. Especially the swing keel !

Nov 19, 2008
Catalina C-22 MK-II Parrish, FL
My opinion, looks like a Lido-14 made by W.D. Schock Corp in the eastern L.A. basin. Very popular one design racing boat in Southern California for many years.

Don

Last edited:
Nov 23, 2011
MacGregor 26D London Ontario Canada
I love free sailboats. (There never really free though...)

Oct 25, 2014
green sailboat lhc
The sailboat measures less than 14'. The Fish and Game could not help much, the hull ID was AZZ?????F070, is the control number used for anything?

Oct 25, 2014
green sailboat lhc
Thanks for the lead on a possible Lido-14, the manufacturer website does not have enough pictures to confirm a match. I found some pictures that looked similar to a Tanzer or Catalina.

Nov 19, 2008
Catalina C-22 MK-II Parrish, FL
Do you have the spars? Most of the older Lido-14's I've seen have gold anodized spars and a casting at the bow. Looks pretty stripped out, they also had a traveler on the top of the transom. defiantly not any Catalina or Capri,(Capri-14.2 or Omega-14), I've ever seen. Depending on the age, which could be considerable,(Schock started manufacturing Lido-14's back in the early 60's), in which case it wouldn't have the normal ID numbers on the starboard side of the transom. There are very few yacht clubs in Southern California that don't have a Lido-14 fleet. Google Lido-14 and look at the images, you'll see your boat.

Don

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2014
green sailboat lhc
Do you have the spars? Most of the older Lido-14's I've seen have gold anodized spars and a casting at the bow. Looks pretty stripped out, they also had a traveler on the top of the transom. defiantly not any Catalina or Capri,(Capri-14.2 or Omega-14), I've ever seen. Depending on the age, which could be considerable,(Schock started manufacturing Lido-14's back in the early 60's), in which case it wouldn't have the normal ID numbers on the starboard side of the transom. There are very few yacht clubs in Southern California that don't have a Lido-14 fleet. Google Lido-14 and look at the images, you'll see your boat.

Don
Hi Don, thanks for your help. I believe you are correct, it looks like a Lido 14 and, based on the Hull ID, the date is June 1970 if I decoded it correctly. No, I don't have the spars, it's totally stripped out. You've given me a direction to pursue. Thanks again!

Joe

Jun 1, 2004
Catalina 27 Mission Bay, San Diego
You will spend more money fitting this boat out from scratch than you would if you simply purchased one ready to sail. The centerboard and rudder/tiller assembly, along with the spars (mast and boom) will take your time and pocketbook way past reasonable limits. And you still need sails, rigging, interior, paint and a trailer refit. The current owner should be paying you to take it off your hands, he can't even tell you what kind of boat it is..... The boat pictured looks like it was stripped as a donor boat for parts... it is essentially worthless.

http://www.ussclb.org/Boats4Sale/Lido 14 White/Lido 14 White.htm

http://www.ussclb.org/Boats4Sale/Lido 14 red/Lido14red.htm

http://claz.org/classifieds?q=lido+14

Jan 19, 2010
Hobie 16 & Rhodes 22 Skeeter Charleston
You will spend more money fitting this boat out from scratch than you would if you simply purchased one ready to sail.
I'm afraid Joe is very right!

But the good news is the trailer is worth something. Used trailers can be expensive so if that came with the deal you did okay. See if you can sell the hull as a project boat for $100. KEEP THE TRAILER!!!!

Sometimes restaurants want a boat for a themed flower garden and such things.

I've flipped 6 restoration boats in the past and developed my own mantra... when buying a used sailboat what you are actually paying for is the trailer, sails and outboard motor. The boat itself is always free. Hulls can be painted, fiberglass repaired but that other stuff adds up quick.

jimg

Jun 5, 2004
catalina 27 dana point
Joe is definitely correct. My wife had and raced a Lido. Great boat and a lot of fun. We got another older one (free) that was going to be cut up, just for a few needed parts. It had no title and was literally worth nothing after we were done with it. It was a liability rather than an asset, and was eventually scrapped. A great source for info on these is Lido14.org. Keep the trailer and pay to have the hull disposed of, or give the whole thing to someone else.

Oct 25, 2014
green sailboat lhc
I'm afraid Joe is very right!

But the good news is the trailer is worth something. Used trailers can be expensive so if that came with the deal you did okay. See if you can sell the hull as a project boat for $100. KEEP THE TRAILER!!!!
Thanks Joe and RGranger. The boat and trailer were free, however getting the title transferred to both is going to take several months. Truth be told, I live near a lake and just want to get out on the water. I only have a passenger car with a 1,000 pound towing limit, I don't want to sell it to buy a truck just to tow a boat. My plan is to buy a hitch, build my own keel using plywood and lead, put an outboard motor on it 7.5 - 15hp for a little more speed (around 10mph) because a trolling motor will only go about 3mph, hope the balance, stability and safety are acceptable, then put on a bimini top and live happily ever after.

Oct 26, 2005
- - Satellite Beach, FL.
You could rig it yourself for cheap using a wind surfer mast, light wooden boom and polytarp sails.
Lots of info on making polytarp sail on the web. Tyvek might be better.

Jan 19, 2010
Hobie 16 & Rhodes 22 Skeeter Charleston
Thanks Joe and RGranger. The boat and trailer were free, however getting the title transferred to both is going to take several months. Truth be told, I live near a lake and just want to get out on the water. I only have a passenger car with a 1,000 pound towing limit, I don't want to sell it to buy a truck just to tow a boat. My plan is to buy a hitch, build my own keel using plywood and lead, put an outboard motor on it 7.5 - 15hp for a little more speed (around 10mph) because a trolling motor will only go about 3mph, hope the balance, stability and safety are acceptable, then put on a bimini top and live happily ever after.
Oh I get it.... sounds nice. Honestly though, anything larger than a 5hp will be way to big for that boat. And you don't need a dagger board if you are going to use it as a power boat. This boat did not have a keel in the sense of ballast. This boat used the passengers as ballast. This boat had what is called a dagger board. Basically a sheet of plywood. It keeps the boat from sliding sideways when the wind hits the sail. If you are not going to sail it. Then just glass over the dagger board trunk, put a motor on it and go fishing. Whoot whoot.

I used to have a 3700lb sailboat that I could push at 9 kts with a 50lb thrust trolling motor. So unless you want to go real fast, you could get by with a trolling motor. They are a lot cheaper than a gas motor.

Or you could put oar locks on the boat and row. No motor = no registration. Simple and no issues with titles.

Good luck, have fun.

kito

Sep 13, 2012
1979 Hunter Cherubini 30 Clemmons
I agree with the others here. That boat is going to cost you at least 3 times what you could buy a turn key boat for. Heck, I once bought a complete Force 5 just to get the daggerboard and rudder. Seems when people part out their boats they want high dollar especially on older boats. Yours looks like a 60's version of the Lido 14.