DOES ANYONE HAVE ANY EXPERIENCE WITH A DOMETIC Dual Zone Portable Refrigerator and Freezer, Powered by AC/DC or Solar

Aug 11, 2011
O'day 30 313 Georgetown MD
I'm contemplating purchasing a large unit for my boat. I have a good spot for it with good air circulation around it. However do these units work like a coventional Refrigerator/Freezer? Reason I ask, is that if the boat is on a heal, is the compressor affected. I always let a new refrigeration unit sit for 24 hours to let the oil in the compressor settle to the bottom before plugging it in. Am I over thinking this?

Oct 20, 2021
Pearson Yachts 34 Wentworth
All good questions here! The best answer to your thoughts is to give complete information about the device and vessel you want to use it on. This will help us help you better. Myself, I purchased 2 RV units that are 12vdc/110vac and installed them on my sailboat, and been running for 5 years with no problems. NOTE: I have NO solar panels installed
59 qt Portable Fridge Freezer 12V Electric Cooler Car Refrigerator Car Fridge with Compressor 12 Volt for Vehicle Truck RV Camping Travel Outdoor Driving -4℉ ~ 68℉ DC and 110v AC

Visit the Aspenora Store

4.1 4.1 out of 5 stars 607 ratings

Last edited:
  • Helpful
Aug 11, 2011
@ CaptJacksP34 Mine is a 30ft O'day. My question to you is what is your house bank capacity? Apart from my starter, I have a group 27 110 AH deep cycle. I currently run my GPS, VHF, Raymarine EV100 auto pilot while sailing. I run LED interior lights and anchor light at night. During the day I have 200watts of solar filling my batteries plus what ever motor generated power recharging. I think an additional Group 27 DC would help with my power needs and to run the new freezer/refridgerator, wouldn't you?

Feb 12, 2024
grampian 34 santa xruz
The “powered cooler” types use about 1kW/day on *low*. Do you have that much power to burn for only 50qt, at most?
I bought one at Costco, and ended up, relegating it to the land-garage as a place to keep Popsicles. Even then, it doesn’t seem to maintain proper temperature, so I don’t think these things are ready for prime time.
I would have even LESS faith, the more features added. “Dual zone” being at the top of the list of features that will be problems.
KISS!

JBP-PA

Apr 29, 2022
Jeanneau Tonic 23 Erie, PA
The specs for the CFX3 say "The cooler can withstand a short-term inclination of 30°." and the 75DZ draws 9.6 amps. A 30% duty cycle in temperate climes would need about 77 Ah per day or 925 Wh daily.

• Helpful

JBP-PA

Apr 29, 2022
For what it's worth, I have a much smaller single zone Alpicool C22 that is rated at 5A, but actually draws 3A with a 30% duty cycle for about 24Ah/day. I leave it running while sailing with no problems though I rarely hit 30° heel. I have a 100Ah LFP and can run for 3 days without solar. With a 100W partially shaded foredeck solar panel I can almost break even. With a 140W panel on the Bimini I have plenty of power to spare.

Aug 11, 2011
@JBP-PA Thanks for this info. It sure helps. How long have you had the Alpicool. I have been told, with no substantiating evidence, that it's not of the best quality. Price wise it would be better, but I would not want to keep replacing if it doesn't last.

JBP-PA

Apr 29, 2022
I've had it three years so far, but my 22 liter is much smaller than any of the dual zone dometics. I choose it because it was inexpensive and fit my space (plus Sam Holmes has one!).

20220410_145719.jpg

20220410_145318.jpg

Apr 10, 2010
Catalina 310 166 Dartmouth, Nova Scotia
Have you considered an Engels? Low battery drain, 110/12 v, compressor works very well at almost any heel. Can be used as fridge or freezer, very robust and versatile. Your boat your choice.

Mar 20, 2015
C&C 30 Mk1 Winnipeg
Heeling ? These compressors typically allow up to 30 degrees of heel. The same as the icebox conversion kits from frigoboat, dometic, seafrost, designed for boats.

We have an Iceco cooler. Eventually, to save space, I plan on cannibalising it to convert our built in icebox. It has a better compressor than the seafrost kit I had originally considered.

I would consider an Iceco model over Dometic. Iceco uses a Danfoss compressor with a good warranty and the chassis are well made, but cheaper than Dometic. FWIW: I prefer to support smaller companies that make good products. I hate Dometic almost on principle alone.

As for Mobicool models, the ones with Samsung compressors are reliable, based on the small sample of boats I know that have them.

I spent 2 weeks on a friend's boat last summer. (It was a good choice on my part. We ate like kings :beer:)
He uses 2 different Samsung based Mobicool units. A bigger one for a fridge and their smallest model for a freezer. This minimised airspace in the freezer and reduced how often it was opened each day.

Apr 10, 2010
Catalina 310 166 Dartmouth, Nova Scotia
When you say 30 heel which compressor are you referring to, the Engel or the one you mention? Just for clarification and my edification. Thanks.

Mar 20, 2015
C&C 30 Mk1 Winnipeg
The more common design type I mentioned.

FWIW, The Engel units use a Japanese Sawafuji swing motor, which has less moving parts and very efficient. Great design which is why they are expensive. The drawback is that it's less common and therefore harder to get repaired if they fail, depending on where/when.

The.Secop/Danfoss and the Samsung compressors use a design which is very common and easy to have repaired almost anywhere on the planet

I have been told that the new Dometic Waeco compressors aren't worth the added cost but I have no personal experience and am not sure why.

Maybe @Hayden Watson knows ?

Last edited: