Does an obsolete inboard scare you into selling your boat?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 17, 2011
Ericson 29 Southport..
Re: Does an obsolete inboard scare you into selling your boa

I'd be interested to know exactly what kind of Westerbeke we're talking about. My experience is, the parts are plentiful, and very easy to work on.
The parts aren't exactly cheap, but what IS on a boat?

(And a man can get out at half price buying Mitsubishi parts, as apposed to using Westy parts, because that's all they are; just painted red).

Oct 26, 2008
Catalina 320 Barnegat, NJ

You are better off spending a minimal amount of money on a boat that you know that you are going to sell eventually. There is probably a better chance that you will be looking for a larger boat soon enough anyway. When there are good deals to be had, why the hell not?

Basically, any money you spend on a 30 year-old boat won't be recovered when you sell. I think you are right to be suspect of an old engine when you don't know the history and you are concerned about the danger you could get into on a river with strong current and heavy barge traffic.

Even if the diesel runs well now, engine trouble could be right around the corner. I'm in that situation and I have decided to re-power. But I consider it an upgrade to a 27' boat that I have no intention of selling soon, if at all. But I have a few reasons for doing the upgrade, now that I'm boxed into doing something about an engine that is failing. But believe me, I know that I'm spending the $9K with no expectation of recovering any portion of it in boat value. We even briefly considered doing a minimal repair, selling the boat for whatever price it takes and moving up to a larger boat (which for me means moving our sailing to a different venue). In the end, we decided to enjoy the boat as is, with an upgraded power-plant, and damn the cost.

Now, I'm just waiting for my new engine to arrive (Yanmar 2YM15), which is a topic that I was planning on opening soon ...

May 27, 2012
Oday 222 Beaver Lake, Arkansas

I'm gonna plus +1 with Scott here too. If your thinking of selling and moving up, youll be money ahead to sell it as it is. Any money you dump into it fixing it up will only bring pennies on the dollar when you sell.

I say let it go, and find the boat you really want, now, while they are still cheap. Strike while the iron is hot, time waits for no man, and all that

zeehag

Mar 26, 2009
1976 formosa 41 yankee clipper santa barbara. ca.(not there)

i bought my boat BECAUSE the engine was toast, and i watched as po made it toast...i found a used engine in michigan for 2500 dollars, and installed it. now we align it... isnt any suchuva big deal. engine--replace or rebuild and have the boat you want .
i now have a beeyoooteefulll perkins 4-108 that runs smooth as can be and i am happy i have this old derelict heap of a brick....she is an awesome cruising ketch, and i love her.
we traded out the engine while on a mooring. not at a dock.

Jan 1, 2006
Slickcraft 26 Sailfish

IMHO you buy the boat that fits the way you will use it now. Later, when you are going to use a boat differently, buy a boat that fits that need.
In you situation this means buying something to daysail now which is less expensive and allows you to save money towards your goal. You can charter to gain experience and take courses to learn skills. You may even be able to use the skills to make some bucks. When you are a few years away from going buy the boat you need then.
15 years is too long.

LloydB

Jan 15, 2006
Macgregor 22 Silverton

So zeehag was that a new engine and a new mooring all at the same time?

Apr 22, 2009
Pearson P-31 Quantico

What is an obsolete engine? OMG! Does this mean all Atomic Fours have to be replaced? What will Moyer Marine ever do if we get rid of all those?

Mar 27, 2012
Seaward Fox Washougal WA
What is an obsolete engine? OMG! Does this mean all Atomic Fours have to be replaced? What will Moyer Marine ever do if we get rid of all those?
As you know with forums, people will debate definitions for days. For me, if I can not call the manufacturer or authorized dealer or another parts company and get the parts I need, I consider that obsolete. Some people love to spend time on the computer researching and finding treasures or solving a puzzle. Then spending the time to make it work putting it together and fabricating to make the discovered parts work. No thanks, that is not me :naughty:

zeehag

Mar 26, 2009
So zeehag was that a new engine and a new mooring all at the same time?
mooring, coronado, sd, kali, dec 1999...
bought this boat, june 2008
engine..perkins 4-108, installed spring 2009
left boat to cruise opb late spring 2009...
repairs other than engine--until march, 2011 from june 2010
left san diego in a derelictish ketch---april 7 , 2011
mazatlan may 2011
banderas bay feb3, 2012
zihuatenejo dec, midmonth 2012...
leaving zihuatenejo end march 2013, destination--more south....aiming at puerto madero(huatulco)

ericson is still on that mooring....

May 27, 2012
Oday 222 Beaver Lake, Arkansas
For me, if I can not call the manufacturer or authorized dealer or another parts company and get the parts I need, I consider that obsolete.
I have an old Bus with an 8V71 Detroit, about as obsolete as you can get these days, and almost regulated out of existence in Kalifornia. Ive read horror stories of people out of the road getting screwed over by mechanics who simply had no working knowledge of the engine and didnt want to work on it. At that point it has nothing to do with love or money, you dont even get what you pay for.

I was on a Bus forum and suggested the engine was obsolete and wondered what could possibly replace it, and the response couldn't have been any worse if I had run over their kid on the street and backed up to do it again.

But we both must realize that many never leave port to head off into the wild blue, others have different comfort levels, and still others have enough $$$ they just dont care. Remember too, that new doesnt always mean better. Some of the newer engines are so screwed up due to environmental regulations they are almost impossible to work on without specialized tools and computer software. Finding someone in the middle of nowhere who would know how to work on it could be real difficult, where as an old A4 or mechanically injected diesel would be a piece of cake.

So while your westy isnt exactly current, it was and is a very well made and very durable engine, and canl give as good of service today as it did when new. And unlike a pesky old Detroit two stroke, most anyone will know how to make it run.

I think the bigger point is you have outgrown the current boat, and are ready to move up. Before you waste a bunch of money polishing up an old t, er boat, just sell it as is and look for what you want. In the meantime, research the various engines available in the boats your interested in so you walk in better educated about what you want, as well as what you dont.

Mar 27, 2012
Seaward Fox Washougal WA

Thanks Anchor, solid advice!

Oct 26, 2008
Catalina 320 Barnegat, NJ

Anchorclanker, I did look around a little for a used engine and I remember checking out your reference. As it turns out, I want the features that I can have with a new engine that I couldn't find in an older model. The expense just isn't a limiting factor ... and I am very happy with the boat I have so it's worth it to me to make the upgrade even if it isn't the best financial option.

Incidentally, we looked at a comparable Beta Marine diesel and visited with them at the Newport Boat Show. Despite the claims that I have heard that it would be less expensive to get a Beta, it was more expensive straight-up than Yanmar. Even if I had to get a new tranny with my engine, Yanmar was a the better price. In my case, I don't need a new tranny because my current tranny, which was re-built a few years ago, is compatable with the new engine. From that standpoint, it isn't even close ... Yanmar is the best option for me. If I was changing manufacturers, the headache of all the modifications would be too much to be worthwhile.

My 1GM (1983) will be a good project off the boat, because she can easily be restored. At some point, I'll be happy to sell her.

zeehag

Mar 26, 2009

btw--for those of you folks cruising mexico or panning to so do --0ld westerbekes and perkins out of use engines ARE rebuildable here......just a footnote to yáll not being able to fix stuff in usa--

Mar 27, 2012
Seaward Fox Washougal WA
btw--for those of you folks cruising mexico or panning to so do --0ld westerbekes and perkins out of use engines ARE rebuildable here......just a footnote to yáll not being able to fix stuff in usa--
That is great info! How do you like your Formosa? I have looked at one here that I love that had major refit and just needs sails: http://www.yachtworld.com/core/list...osturl=rivercitysailing&&ywo=rivercitysailing&

Only thing I cant figure out is that it has no where to sit in the cockpit! Am I supposed to stand all day???

zeehag

Mar 26, 2009

mine has a sofa on the transom--cushions on the bench abaft the binnacle...awesome comfy...i love mine--is a good sailing boat and heavy enough with enough different sail patterns to make heavy weather fun--we took a chubasco--got hit by it, actually, north of cabo --wind was over 60 kts and we did a good solid 8.4 kts boat speed even with baggy cruising sails--we flew--we have speed record, for now, in formosas in chubascos under reefed mizzen and reefed (because it was coming apart) jib--was a gas....another passage we made 400 miles with less than 50 gal diesel....just made it.....has been fun, so far--should be even better now it is being made safer....had issues....LOL..is a formosa--it will have issues...awesome boat!!

RichH

Feb 14, 2005
Tayana 37 cutter; I20/M20 SCOWS Worton Creek, MD

FWIW ---- Before making any 'rash' decision Id want to know exactly why my old Westerbeke is not rebuildable, exactly what is wrong with the current engine, what are the wear dimensions, what parts/surfaces are worn and to what extent, the compression values, etc. etc.

Then Id risk the expense of a compression test with values, a pressurized combustion chamber leak down test with values, and a detailed oil analysis to verify the problems and to determine if there 'really' is a problem, etc. ..... and if there are problems then turning over the engine to a mechanic who has no vested interest in selling me a 'replacement' engine if such remedial engine work were beyond my capabilities.

A surgeon can 'tell you' that you need a heart transplant; but s/he better damn well show you the supporting DATA before you commit to such ... or you'd better definitely consider to get a 'second opinion' including all the missing test data & 'details'.
;-)

Status
Not open for further replies.