Dodger woes

May 6, 2010
1984 Oday 39 79 Milwaukee
We recently had well respected local canvas shop made a new dodger, tweaking our existing frame and when installed we could not open the overhead hatches in the rear cabins, and they added two additional tension straps when they told us initially they did not like straps and were going to replace the two we had with stainless tubes. The rear straps interfere with the winch handle when using the primary winches. The day they patterned they did not tell me they were coming and when repositioning things, left several open screw holes in the cabin top which took on rain the day after installation before I got to the boat. I contacted them the next day and explained the problem with the hatches ( I scratched one of the Makrolon windows opening the hatch before I realized they wouldn't clear) and was told they would get back to me. Over the course of the next 2 1/2 months I called almost 20 times before finally getting a response. They came out and together we decided to move the frame and have them recut the front panels in order to allow the hatches to open. After recutting the fronts, they had to re-make the side panels (no Makrolon in the sides). Now the hatches are free to operate but we still have straps conflicting with the winch handles, and now the three front panels sort of overlap where they zip together so that the center panel kind of flops in on one side and out on the other. There are numerous albeit small scratches in the front Makrolon windows from when they recut and sewed them. I sent them an email detailing my disappointment with each of these issues, and after a week have heard nothing. I still owe them 20% of the total bill, having sent them the major portion right after the first install. Normally I would be compelled to pay since they have completed the work and ask them to resolve it as a warranty issue, but I don't have any real confidence the issues will be resolved. Really disappointed as I try to research well before spending my money but despite doing stellar work in the past this experience has been anything but.

Jan 11, 2014
Sabre 362 113 Fair Haven, NY
That is a sad experience. Did you pay by credit card? If so, contest the charge to get their attention.

In NY the Attorney General operates a consumer complaint division. Perhaps WI has one too?

HMT2

Mar 20, 2014
Hunter 31 828 Shoreacres, TX
That is most unfortunate. It’s frustrating when folks don’t stand by their work. I would for sure hold on to the 20% until I am satisfied. I would also light them up with an online review on Yelp and or Active Captain.

NYSail

Jan 6, 2006
Beneteau 423 Mt. Sinai, NY
They don't sound so well respected. Sounds completely incompetent. I have learned to hold money...... Ask for a refund or a completely new design as it does not seem to function how they did it. And do not give them the 20%.... wou will never get them down to the boat.

Good Luck!

capta

Jun 4, 2009
Pearson 530 Admiralty Bay, Bequia SVG
I would call another canvas place and use the 20% to pay them with. If the first place demands their money, send them a copy of the second place's bill and say you were tired of waiting for them to respond to your pleas for help.

Last edited:

higgs

Aug 24, 2005
Nassau 34 Olcott, NY
Let us know who the company is so none of us have problems similar to you.

MitchM

Jan 20, 2005
Nauticat 321 pilothouse 32 Erie PA
1/ surely there's a well respected competent canvas maker in a nearby town to whom you could take the boat, or photos of the bad job to price the cost of a fix ? you need an e stimate of the 'fix' cost of your problems? i'd pay a competent shop to fix it, with a written description of what they did. don't pay the 20 % to the 1st shop who not only did a crummy unmerchantible job but then didn't know ow to FIX their mistakes. 2/ ask on this board for any o day 39 s with a good dodger. get photos of a good dodger design. then proceed w No. 1.
At our marina a lady tenant bought a sewing machine and then advertised herself as a boat canvas shop. several fellow tenants ordered bims and dodgers. the wrinkly miserable work she did is still talked about.