Dodger specs and plans

Status
Not open for further replies.
M

Mike McMahon

I ahve recently purchased a 1994 Hunter 37.5 I am looking to put a dodger on the boat. I am looking for ideas and specs from owners who have done this. I am also wondering how the boom is stored out of the way at dock. Is there a device or line with a cleat which can be used to attach the boom to be secured to the toe rail. Also mid ship cleats. Has anyone installed these. Thanks. Mike McMahon

Jun 7, 2004
Birch Bay Washington
I did one out of Lexan

1/8 inch white top and 1/16 inch windscreen and sides. Screw it onto the existing SS frame with many screws, using plastic and teak and aluminum bar reinforcement. Much better vision than with a cloth dodger and eisenglass. It will last far longer too. I considered using clear lexan for the top, too, but had the white so used it instead. I do not understand why you want to store the boom at the dock. You can get a folding midships cleat that attaches to the rail if you want something quick. Mine are through-bolted and mounted on a teak block. If you haven't looked, check out your aft cabin - aft bulkhead in the center just above the access door. Reach inside and check the wooden cleat which supports the big shelf above the tanks. Mine was water damaged by leaks in the hold down screws put in from the top of the rudder post cover. There were a number of bonus holes too which I filled with epoxy. See my other post about my solution on this. I have seen several of these boats with rotten bulkheads. Also check that the topping lift is not crossed over the main halyard inside the mast. I have seen several like that. The main is hard enough to raise without the added friction.

Status
Not open for further replies.