Dodger question......

Sep 15, 2009
S2 9.2a Fairhope Al
...how many of you use a dodger on you aft cockpit boats ...i just set the dodger frame up on my 9.2a and after looking it over very intensely came to the conclusion that thing was the hokey-est thing i have ever seen :eek::puke:...i do have some design shape in mind but first i must get over the look that bestowed up on me to day i will take a pic if some one wants to see it but for now i see no need for every one else to feel my pain....... just thinking about maybe doing with out one ...i do have a Bimini top and it does not look that bad but when it and the dodger is on at the same time it makes the boat look like a caterpillar cocoon...now i am going to search the net for some ideas and hopefully i will find some thing that is respectable and pleasing to the eye...plz share pics if you have them i am all eyes at this point

Jan 25, 2011
S2 11.0A Anacortes, WA
YES!! In the PNW, we get cooler temps with rain etc. We cruise only and I can stand in the top companion way step (or maybe it's the next one down) and drive the boat with autopilot remote. We can sit in the cockpit and lean against the cabin at anchor and be comfortable. There are drawbacks. I think main one being not being able to get full rotation with the winch handle. Our dodger has some small side curtains that can be zipped off for some serious sailing. The cabin top winches just do not have full handle rotation and I have to live with that. Does the 9.2A have the traveller on the bridge deck? If so, put the boom out next to the stays and be sure the sheet does not interfere withe dodger. My PO put the traveller on the cabin top forward of the dodger. A lot of sailors here have capability of enclosing the whole cockpit turning it into another room during inclement weather and it gets heated as part of the boat. Everyone that goes to AK says its a necessity.....take a side pix and top pix of the boat and print it out on bond paper and start drawing ideas...

BobM

Jun 10, 2004
S2 9.2A Winthrop, MA
Stock, the 9.2a traveller is on the stern. I have a stainless dodger frame but no intention to use it. Just not necessary for day sailing. More important if your area has rough sailing weather often or if you will be making long passages where the wind and sun will take their toll on you and tire you out.

Bron

Apr 19, 2010
s2 8.5 rocky river
I'm thinking of a dodger and bimini for my S2 8.5. A sketch of the dodger is attached. Clear windows on sides, front and part of the top. Would mount where cabin house comes down to the cockpit coaming. Should be out of the way of winch handles. Any comments, suggestions??

As for the bimini, I can't figure how the forward frame section(s) will store because of the end-boom mounted mainsheet. Thus dodger would have an extra bow to extend the dodger aft about a foot. Half the cockpit could be under the dodger if the extension is folded back.

Bron

Attachments

Oct 25, 2011
Island Packet IP31 Lake St. Louis, Montreal
Our previous boat had a dodger and it was up all the time. The current boat has a bimini, which is up all the time and panels that zip in as required. I much prefer the bimini & panels to the dodger as we get the breeze on those hot days and we get the protection when it gets wet and nasty

Jul 14, 2012
S2 9.2A Muskegon MI
Just did a new Dodger and frame last fall on our 9.2a. Took things that didn't work well for us on the old Dodger into the redesign. Made the new one a bit taller, larger strata-glass windows, stand alone frame without straps, grab bars across back edge and on each side for going forward. Love it, works great, but there are a couple of "if I could do overs"..... I'll try to include a photo.

Attachments

Sep 15, 2009
S2 9.2a Fairhope Al
Just did a new Dodger and frame last fall on our 9.2a. Took things that didn't work well for us on the old Dodger into the redesign. Made the new one a bit taller, larger strata-glass windows, stand alone frame without straps, grab bars across back edge and on each side for going forward. Love it, works great, but there are a couple of "if I could do overs"..... I'll try to include a photo.
thanks for the pic that looks more like what i had in mind ...looks good could you post a pic of the bimini and dodger from the side plz it would really help me to decide what to do on mine

again thanks

Jul 14, 2012
S2 9.2A Muskegon MI
9.2a dodger & bimini

found more pics of Dodger and Bimini. S2 is "on the hard" and shrink wrapped for the winter, but I did find a few photos from last fall. They did the work in late last September, and will do a few modifications and improvements this spring. The pictures (if I can figure out process to upload multiple) are of a side view at "full dress dockside or cruise mode", with center panel zipped in between Dodger and Bimini, and a back dropdown screen panel sun shade. In Sail mode (takes about 5 minutes to prep) we end up with just Dodger and a small back section of Bimini over the Helm. The design was to not over power the classic S2 design, not compromise the crew for sailing, and protect from Sun. Not totally there yet, but maybe by spring.

Attachments

BobM

Jun 10, 2004
S2 9.2A Winthrop, MA
Bob, how does the small act Bimini work out with the aft traveler?

Jul 14, 2012
S2 9.2A Muskegon MI
BobM, apologize for the answer delay, went south for a few weeks without computer to get out of this cold. The Bimini works ok with the aft traveler, but we are doing some modifications of adding another zipper and some velcro this spring to make it better. There are frame bars that have the same arc at the stern traveler both fore and aft of the main sheet attachment at boom end, with zippers in the canvas (between the fore and aft frame bars) that zip open while sailing. Drips on the helm when rain, but keeping one side zipped helps.

BobM

Jun 10, 2004
S2 9.2A Winthrop, MA
No sweat. Literally up here in Boston...except when I am shoveling. I am really interested in one. Would you mind providing some more info and photos when you can. Dimensions and details of the zippers you mentioned. I really could use some sun protection.

Jul 14, 2012
S2 9.2A Muskegon MI
I have a couple more photos, will hunt them down. The new Bimini was finished about two weeks before haul out & shrink wrap, so There was only a little Sail time to prove out a few changes needed this spring. The biggest sailing compromise is how far out to the side I can let the main sail, down wind wing-to-wing causes the main sheet to rub on frame bars. It's ok by me vs cost to replace/modify the frame, but you could take advantage with some modifications on new build. Will keep you posted.

Mar 26, 2011
Corsair F-24 MK I Deale, MD
The only question that matters is does it work for you, the way you sail. Pluses and minuses.

Getting hung on how something looks rather than how it is to live with explains the divorce rate. As for you bimini, you have to answer the question.

Sep 15, 2009
S2 9.2a Fairhope Al
i have dry fitted my frames and letting it soak in to my thick head as to what i need to change on the dodger..and i am also considering access on and off the boat at dockside along with the weather protection as well .......thanks for the pics and the future ones as well

Sep 17, 2017
Pearson 28-2 washington nc
I'm purchasing an '81 9.2A and am in the market for a dodger. The PO had one but no longer. Frame brackets and turn-buttons all in place, just no dodger.

Jan 22, 2008
S-2 9.2 A Chicago IL
Thinking of both a dodger and Bimini on a S2 9.2 A hull number 433. Like your design and would like to profit from your know on how on how you would do things differently. I thinking of going to Holland Michigan or Muskegon for the canvas work. Any advice?

Oct 19, 2017
O'Day 19 Littleton, NH
I like the pocket idea. Under the dodger is where you put everything you have out to use, binoculars, folded chart, cruising guide, your hat and sun glasses, and, of course, your:beer:. Don't want seawater splashing into your :beer:.

There was an earlier thread about dodgers in which someone pointed out that everyone grabs the dodger to exit or enter the cockpit, so build the frame sturdy enough and handles are good to limit wear on the canvas.
Edit: just realized, this thread is almost 3 years old, so it wasn't an "earlier thread" I was referring to.

-Will (Dragonfly)

Last edited:

RoyS

Jun 3, 2012
Hunter 33 Steamboat Wharf, Hull, MA
A few things to consider. IMHO a correctly designed sailboat companionway entrance will be plumb and not raked aft. A plumb entrance will not admit rain into the cabin as freely as does the raked entrance. A dodger will stop that if your boat has a raked entrance. The dodger will interfere with your vision forward close in where the lobster pots hide. Try to get one that will fold down when not needed in clear weather. Watch the installation of the buttons on the deck. Most are simply drilled and screwed into your cored deck and will eventually leak and soak the core material. If you seldom sail in the rain or cold you may be better off without the dodger.