Dodger/bimini

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Donna

Is it possible to have a dodger and/or bimini top on a Catalina 400 that allows one to stand up underneath it, say to an average height of 5'10", and that solves the problem of feeling like going down the companionway is like going down a rabbit hole? Thanks; I'm thinking of moving up to a Catalina 400 from my Catalina 34.

L

LaDonna Bubak - Planet Catalina

Not sure about specs

I'm not sure about the specs of that but if you did add a permanent dodger, you'd have a significant amount of windage there. This can affect sailing ability and general appearance too. A bimini (depending on desired use) would at least be removeable so you could sail easily. Certain boats lend themselves to full cockpit enclosures but IMHO, the C400 isn't really one of them. Differing opinions welcome! LaDonna

S

Sam Sevier

Bimini

I have a 400 with a bimini built by JSI. I am 6'2" and I have plenty of headroom underneath. The bimini is very large and covers the entire cockpit. I am sure JSI can build one to suit you. They have done a number of projects for me for this boat and the Beneteau I had previously and I am extremely happy with their work.

D

Dale Borts

I have a Catalina 36 and just had a hard dodger installed this season. I cannot imagine sailing to windward in rough conditions and mnot having one. It is like having someone throwing buckets of water on you continuously. A well designed dodger will add comfort and will even esthetically work out if designed properly. Unless your seriously into racing go for a dodger. I do not care for the connestoga wagon look of some of the full enclosures though.

M

Mike Crosa

Height

On my boat a Catalina 30 I can stand up just fine under the dodger with room to spare. I am 5'8" and there is at least another 2 to 4 inches (doing this from memory). The guy I bought the boat from had the dodger and bimini custom made. He may have had it made higher considering he was 6 feet tall. I am sure you could get a dodger with your specifications even on your present boat.

J

John Mavrovich

Stand-up bimini

Get a full bimini (4-bow instead of two) and install a windshield on it. That'll give you full standing headroom forward in the cockpit. The windshield will unzip providing ventilation as needed. Also, better visibility due to increased height.

B

Bob Martin

Another approach

In the Aug.'98 Mainsheet Tech Notes for C400, Glen McIntosh (LATITUDE ADJUSTMENT #76) says he took off factory dodger, installed a bimini 78 inches high, and had dodger remade at same height, with a panel connecting the two and removable side windows. This required removing a wedge out of the foot of the main, raising boom to 84 inches and rebuilding reefing points. The frame attaches outboard near lifelines, creating a wider bimini. Your C34 skipper can show you the article.

B

Bill Garland - Ventura, Catalina 42

The best Catalina Canvas

Contact Maires Marine in Ventura, California. They were originally the OEM manufacturers for Catalina's Canvas and can make whatever you desire. Avoid Anacapa Canvas in that same city. Bad attitude, poor work, won't compromise. Unfortunately you won't find this out until the work is complete and then it's too late.

Status
Not open for further replies.